Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Got parent policy residence approval

Got parent policy residence approval

Old Apr 6th 2011, 5:17 am
Forum Regular

Tribesman is just really niceTribesman is just really niceTribesman is just really niceTribesman is just really niceTribesman is just really niceTribesman is just really niceTribesman is just really niceTribesman is just really nice
Default Got parent policy residence approval

17 months to get approval on the parent policy, and alot has happened since then. House prices have plummeted, and nearly two years older. Put our house on the market yesterday. Could anyone give me an idea how much bills an average couple would pay every month living in an average 3 bed house. I don't retire for nearly 3 more years yet so will have to get some kind of part time job . My wife is getting her pension which is not very much. The problem is we are getting 100,000 less for our property now than 2 years ago.
Old Apr 6th 2011, 5:34 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Got parent policy residence approval

Congrats on getting the approval Tribesman.

What part of NZ will you be heading to. It will make a difference to any budget type figures.
Old Apr 6th 2011, 5:37 am
Forum Regular

Tribesman is just really niceTribesman is just really niceTribesman is just really niceTribesman is just really niceTribesman is just really niceTribesman is just really niceTribesman is just really niceTribesman is just really nice

Originally Posted by BEVS
Congrats on getting the approval Tribesman.

What part of NZ will you be heading to. It will make a difference to any budget type figures.
Heading to Rangiora in Christchurch. My Son is married there. Could be awhile before we get our house sold etc. Living in Republic of Ireland. Hope we are doing the right thing, Its a big move and i am 62 and my wife is 65, but we are going for it and take a chance, otherwise we will always be wondering.

Last edited by Tribesman; Apr 6th 2011 at 5:40 am.
Old Apr 6th 2011, 6:34 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I know. I was 50 when we landed on these shores. No friends . No family. It is a big move . It is a HUGE move but it's something that, sometimes, simply has to be done.

you get the house sold. I could have fancied living in Eire myself for a while as Mum came from Waterford but that's not how it all worked out.
Well. I'll set to and try and sort some of our figures for you. We are a couple, even though we are not down there, so our figures might be relevant to you.

The problem is we are getting 100,000 less for our property now than 2 years ago
Is that Euro's? Didn't Eire go into the Eurozone even though a referendum said otherwise. Can't remember.

Last edited by BEVS; Apr 6th 2011 at 6:36 am.
Old Apr 6th 2011, 7:10 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BEVS
I know. I was 50 when we landed on these shores. No friends . No family. It is a big move . It is a HUGE move but it's something that, sometimes, simply has to be done.

you get the house sold. I could have fancied living in Eire myself for a while as Mum came from Waterford but that's not how it all worked out.
Well. I'll set to and try and sort some of our figures for you. We are a couple, even though we are not down there, so our figures might be relevant to you.

Is that Euro's? Didn't Eire go into the Eurozone even though a referendum said otherwise. Can't remember.
Yes its the Euro, Bad day for Ireland. Lucky UK did'ent join
Old Apr 8th 2011, 5:09 am
BE Enthusiast

shirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure if this will help, we live in Rangiora and we are oldies!! We came here to be near our children as well. You will love it here in our little town. It is hard to make the decision to come here and I am about to go back to the UK for my first visit since stepping on these shores 4 and a bit years ago!!

We pay the following essential bills each month

$190 per month for power (smooth pay same every month winter and summer) Contact energy but considering switching to a cheaper provider. We have a heat pump and hot water cylinder which never switches off and the usual household stuff including underfloor heating in both bathrooms.

Phone Bill usually around $150 per month which includes my mobile calls, and broadband internet with 40GB allowance per month and free national calls anywhere in NZ. We are with Telecom but there may be better deals out there.

Gas Bottles are $125 a time, we have a gas hob and gas fire and seem to only use 1 per year!!!!! They are the big 45kg ones. Last year however when hubby had an achilles injury and was off work all winter we used 2 cause we had the fire on lots of times!!

Sky+ $103 approx (not an essential) you could just watch freeview.

Food, if you are resourceful you could get away quite cheaply depending on what your taste is, mine fluctuates between $100 and $150 per week at the supermarket and then $40 almost every visit after that for milk, bread etc. I tend to make stuff from scratch and not buy processed and we grow our own veggies and strawberries and stuff. That is obviously a personal taste thing and belts can be tightened when the need arrises. We are only 2 and no dependents so we only have to please ourselves.

Other essentials are most of which we pay in one sum each year are:

House Insurance and Contents Insurance (depends who you are insured with if you can get it now since the quake, they are not taking on new insurance from Ashburton to Hurunui on homes at present!) Unless you buy a house already built with insurance then it stays with the house and not the person moving!

Car Insurance and Registration fee -depends on diesel or petrol etc. Although car insurance is not compulsory we will never be without it.

Rates, ours is around $200 per month but again depends on the GV Value of the property.

I think I have covered everthing, can't think of anything else off the top of my head. Please feel free to pm me if you need any other advice.
Old Apr 8th 2011, 8:49 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by shirl
Not sure if this will help, we live in Rangiora and we are oldies!! We came here to be near our children as well. You will love it here in our little town. It is hard to make the decision to come here and I am about to go back to the UK for my first visit since stepping on these shores 4 and a bit years ago!!

We pay the following essential bills each month

$190 per month for power (smooth pay same every month winter and summer) Contact energy but considering switching to a cheaper provider. We have a heat pump and hot water cylinder which never switches off and the usual household stuff including underfloor heating in both bathrooms.

Phone Bill usually around $150 per month which includes my mobile calls, and broadband internet with 40GB allowance per month and free national calls anywhere in NZ. We are with Telecom but there may be better deals out there.

Gas Bottles are $125 a time, we have a gas hob and gas fire and seem to only use 1 per year!!!!! They are the big 45kg ones. Last year however when hubby had an achilles injury and was off work all winter we used 2 cause we had the fire on lots of times!!

Sky+ $103 approx (not an essential) you could just watch freeview.

Food, if you are resourceful you could get away quite cheaply depending on what your taste is, mine fluctuates between $100 and $150 per week at the supermarket and then $40 almost every visit after that for milk, bread etc. I tend to make stuff from scratch and not buy processed and we grow our own veggies and strawberries and stuff. That is obviously a personal taste thing and belts can be tightened when the need arrises. We are only 2 and no dependents so we only have to please ourselves.

Other essentials are most of which we pay in one sum each year are:

House Insurance and Contents Insurance (depends who you are insured with if you can get it now since the quake, they are not taking on new insurance from Ashburton to Hurunui on homes at present!) Unless you buy a house already built with insurance then it stays with the house and not the person moving!

Car Insurance and Registration fee -depends on diesel or petrol etc. Although car insurance is not compulsory we will never be without it.

Rates, ours is around $200 per month but again depends on the GV Value of the property.

I think I have covered everthing, can't think of anything else off the top of my head. Please feel free to pm me if you need any other advice.
Hi Shirl, Hope you enjoy your hols. in uk and the weather should be good. Good here in the west of Ireland today. Information you gave me was very helpful . My wife and I cannot wait to be in Rangoria, We have been over there 4 times already. My Son got married there to a kiwi last Feb. in St. Johns in Rangoria. Keep in touch anyway and let us know how you got on in uk and were you glad to be back again in nz.