Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Good suburbs to live in Auckland?

Good suburbs to live in Auckland?

Old Nov 29th 2012, 3:03 pm
Just Joined

Dontomi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Good suburbs to live in Auckland?

Hi I am new to this site. I am sure its been asked before but I would like to know some nice areas to live in Auckland.
We are moving there in February with 2 kids aged 4 and 6 will be nearly 5 and 7 by then.
I will be working in Parnell and occasionally in Takapuna and looking for somehwere nice to rent initially where the schools are good.
any suggestions are welcome thanks in advance
Old Nov 29th 2012, 7:18 pm
Just Joined

Nikki W is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Good suburbs to live in Auckland?

We've been doing the same and have found that houses in areas where there are good schools are experiencing a price boom. One person we spoke to said their home had just been valued at $250,000 more than they paid for it in 2008. They are in the zone for Rangitoto School.
Old Nov 30th 2012, 7:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

All Auckland house prices both to buy and rent are going up all the time.
Areas to live are purely subjective, where I may like you might hate.
it'd be fair to say there really aren't any bad areas on the north shore.
some areas like Takapuna are massively over priced and for no good reason that I can see.
Parnell is another pricey area but at least its only minutes to the CDB which will hike prices considerably.
I dont know much about the various suburbs in the other side of the harbour ( I live on the north shore)
but I'm sure someone will pop up and help you out

Last edited by Justcol; Nov 30th 2012 at 7:49 am.
Old Nov 30th 2012, 8:27 am
BE Enthusiast

GoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond repute

We have 3 kids (9, 6 and 2). Some areas in West Auckland are nice and good for primary schools e.g. Titirangi, Woodlands Park, Laingholm but for intermediate and secondary it isn't all that brilliant.

We just moved from there up to the North Shore just this past week for better schools essentially. We are in Torbay now, a quick 20 min ride to the CBD (where my OH works) and maybe 10-15 to Takapuna. Good schools but yeah, it is def. more pricey up here than out West.

Hth
Old Nov 30th 2012, 8:35 am
Forum Regular

BlackCrossInResidence is a name known to allBlackCrossInResidence is a name known to allBlackCrossInResidence is a name known to allBlackCrossInResidence is a name known to allBlackCrossInResidence is a name known to allBlackCrossInResidence is a name known to allBlackCrossInResidence is a name known to allBlackCrossInResidence is a name known to allBlackCrossInResidence is a name known to allBlackCrossInResidence is a name known to allBlackCrossInResidence is a name known to all

Riverhead area - up and coming and reasonably affordable..
Old Nov 30th 2012, 9:52 am
Banned

mikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Nikki W
We've been doing the same and have found that houses in areas where there are good schools are experiencing a price boom. One person we spoke to said their home had just been valued at $250,000 more than they paid for it in 2008. They are in the zone for Rangitoto School.
$250,000 is very cheap these days for the Auckland area. To get a decent house that doesn't need too much work and has all the basic essentials like heating, insulation and double glazing etc (all things that are classed as luxuries in NZ) you will be looking at double that figure.
Old Nov 30th 2012, 6:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikesurf
$250,000 is very cheap these days for the Auckland area. To get a decent house that doesn't need too much work and has all the basic essentials like heating, insulation and double glazing etc (all things that are classed as luxuries in NZ) you will be looking at double that figure.
Yup, I know a couple who left Auckland because the houses were too expensive. They looked at houses in the $500 000 range and they were OK. But they were not prepared to pay that much for a house that is just 'OK'. They moved to Dunedin. Much happier there now.
Old Dec 1st 2012, 3:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikesurf
Its not a house for 250k but a house thats increased in value by 250k in 4 years

Blackcrossinresidence,
can I have your salary please, it must be shit loads if you think Riverhead prices are "reasonable"
there's nowt up there worth having for much under 750k

Last edited by Justcol; Dec 1st 2012 at 3:53 am.
Old Dec 1st 2012, 11:25 am
Banned

mikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Justcol
Its not a house for 250k but a house thats increased in value by 250k in 4 years

Blackcrossinresidence,
can I have your salary please, it must be shit loads if you think Riverhead prices are "reasonable"
Point taken and yes I agree about Riverhead
Old Dec 2nd 2012, 8:44 am
Forum Regular

BlackCrossInResidence is a name known to allBlackCrossInResidence is a name known to allBlackCrossInResidence is a name known to allBlackCrossInResidence is a name known to allBlackCrossInResidence is a name known to allBlackCrossInResidence is a name known to allBlackCrossInResidence is a name known to allBlackCrossInResidence is a name known to allBlackCrossInResidence is a name known to allBlackCrossInResidence is a name known to allBlackCrossInResidence is a name known to all

Blackcrossinresidence,
You need to keep your eyes open - A very nice five bed/2 bath on 850 sq m. with a 7.5 metre swimming pool went to a family I know for mid five hundreds a few weeks ago.
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 10:03 am
BE Forum Addict

suppose it depends on the house, that seems ridiculously cheap for anything of that size anywhere between the Bombays and the Brynderwyns
but I guess there are the odd bargains out there
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 11:05 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Come to the provinces ! My four bedroom detached house in Wanganui (where's that ?) cost the same as a dog kennel in Parnell.

Last edited by Snap Shot; Dec 3rd 2012 at 11:08 pm.
Old Dec 4th 2012, 7:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snap Shot
Come to the provinces ! My four bedroom detached house in Wanganui (where's that ?) cost the same as a dog kennel in Parnell.
This article yesterday said as much, median house price in Central Auckland $690k versus $190k in Wangas.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/n...ectid=10851569
Old Dec 4th 2012, 11:06 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
This article yesterday said as much, median house price in Central Auckland $690k versus $190k in Wangas.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/n...ectid=10851569
Can't lose !

Bearing in mind someone I know is about to move to Dairy Flat in Auckland to a 3 bed house, no mains sewarage (septic tank), no mains water (roof water) and has happilly paid just over three quarters of a million nz dollars for it.

I like my four bed detatched, centrally heated (warm air vents but it does the job), double glazed, floor and ceiling insulated, mains water, mains sewer, mains gas and electricity house. To bad it's in Wanganui you say. Oh the postcode bothers you. I apologise.

Last edited by Snap Shot; Dec 4th 2012 at 11:12 pm.
Old Dec 5th 2012, 12:29 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

suppose it depends on the house, that seems ridiculously cheap for anything of that size anywhere between the Bombays and the Brynderwyns
but I guess there are the odd bargains out there
must've been the pool that sunk the place
pools put buyers off - they did with our neighbours place when it sold twice in the last 6 years ..... took quite a while longer to sell than the average place

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.