The Good Life

Old Oct 11th 2009, 4:27 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute
Default The Good Life

We have just bought our first Kiwi home, after being here for a while!! and are planning on keeping some chooks and a pig or 2.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-me-pr...-242537564.htm

Having never kept either before, I was just wondering what was the one piece of advise you have received, those of you that are already doing it, have found the most valuable.

Oh and which would you go for Shavers or Rhode Island Reds??

Sarah
Old Oct 11th 2009, 5:29 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Good Life

Congratulations, it looks lovely and spacious - I even spotted a heatpump. The equivalent land area would be rare indeed in UK and unavailable at a similar price.
Not living 'the Good Life' so no advice on chooks I'm afraid.
Old Oct 11th 2009, 6:04 am
NZ ways is best ways :0)

Wiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond repute

Nice one on the property - looks brilliant! When it comes to chooks, it's all about personal choice. If you want regular layers, and regular sized eggs, then shavers seem to be the way to go. We just got 3 ex-battery Shaver hens from trademe and they've settled in a treat. The plus is that they are already laying and so you don't have along wait for chicks to grow up to egg-laying size. I suppose they aren't as decorative as some, but I think they're great.

Teamembo has bantams which are pretty, and smaller in size so they don't take up so much space.

Before these shavers we had a Sussex/ Shaver cross and they were smaller, but a lot more fiesty and inquisitive.

They are so easy to keep it's untrue - water, feed, grit and kitchen scraps = eggs! Love it. Had fresh laid fried egg sammies for breakfast this morning - YUM. It's just so satisfying! I am after a Kunekune pig too but T has drawn the line at that one

Good luck with it - there's a thread here http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ghlight=chooks on another section in which I got loads of advice. keeping chooks is ossum - you'll love it!

Last edited by Wiz'n'Ton; Oct 11th 2009 at 6:23 am. Reason: added link
Old Oct 11th 2009, 6:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

Looks good we have one under offer we will know by tuesday if we are having it, we do have one more to see We can have a joint house warming

Neil
Old Oct 11th 2009, 9:50 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by P2L
We have just bought our first Kiwi home, after being here for a while!! and are planning on keeping some chooks and a pig or 2.

Having never kept either before, I was just wondering what was the one piece of advise you have received, those of you that are already doing it, have found the most valuable.

Sarah
If you are going for chickens,then get the amount you want, at the same age ,straight off. No adding laters. It's about the pecking order and that can be madder than BE posters. Ex Batt Shavers can be either mental or loving but will lay loads of eggs. Downside is that they burn themselves earlier than other breeds because of the way they have been bred to do what they do.

Different breeds of chicken have differing temperaments. Some are better for children than others. I kid you not.

If it were me and it is not, i would check out the temperments of certain chicken breeds and buy from that. No point keeping a chook that is not touch and child friendly.
Old Oct 11th 2009, 3:17 pm
appreciate life

willand tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by BEVS
If you are going for chickens,then get the amount you want, at the same age ,straight off. No adding laters. It's about the pecking order and that can be madder than BE posters. Ex Batt Shavers can be either mental or loving but will lay loads of eggs. Downside is that they burn themselves earlier than other breeds because of the way they have been bred to do what they do.

Different breeds of chicken have differing temperaments. Some are better for children than others. I kid you not.

If it were me and it is not, i would check out the temperments of certain chicken breeds and buy from that. No point keeping a chook that is not touch and child friendly.
Sarah, lovley property................. really like how spacious it is. Good on you guys. Best of luck with the chooks.

Tina. x
Old Oct 11th 2009, 6:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Have kept many pigs in my time...be aware they just love to root about (not in the NZ sense of the word ) and can do an incredible amount of damage. Some people use nose rings to prevent this. We used stock fence and barbed wire in the paddocks, but if I was to start again I'd go for electric tape. Great respect from the pigs and easy to move them around a bigger area. They need shelter of some sort and bedding such as straw, they LOVE playing and making beds. We fed a mix of soaked rolled oats and pig nuts, and of course all the scraps. Quite honestly they were sooo easy to keep. Bought as weaners, 8 weeks old and then away for meat when you're ready!
Oh, you did mean pigs for eating didn't you??
As for chooks, easy as, and don't bother with a cockerel unless you want chicks Enjoy
Old Oct 11th 2009, 9:09 pm
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by P2L

Sarah
hi there Sarah

no advice / tips to give about either chooks or pigs I'm afraid but just wanted to congratulate you on your house!! it looks wonderful, very best wishes for your new home lol
B x
Old Oct 11th 2009, 10:41 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I've now looked at the trade me link.
The section and house look lovely P2L. You must be very pleased.
Old Oct 11th 2009, 11:29 pm
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

What a lovely home.

Chickens are mental. That's all I have to say about that. Actually no, I will say more...they are HILARIOUS!

You can train them, like dogs. It's the funniest thing when you call out "here chicken chicken chicken" and they all run out at you looking to play.

Sorry, my chicken experiences have been either in a quarterpack, a roast or housesitting.

I think the house looks great and chickens will serve ya well
Old Oct 12th 2009, 12:25 am
Account Closed

Stoof is an unknown quantity at this point

nice looking place!!

i'd go for rhodies usually and like Bevs says, get them all at once so you don't end up dealing with scraps trying to introduce more later... bantams are cool too, but tiny eggs in comparison.. guess it depends what you want to use your eggs for?!? if baking and stuff you'd need more bantams to get the same weight of egg return as your rhodies (assuming they were laying of course!!)

know nowt about pigs other than i remember watching in horror as a kid as our neighbour put a couple (dead!!) through his bandsaw to start the butchery!! erk ... i've been veggie for 15 years (though TBH that was more to do with having to collect the rabbits when out shooting, than the pig thing!!)

how much of a yowkel do i sound now?!?!

Last edited by Stoof; Oct 12th 2009 at 12:27 am.
Old Oct 12th 2009, 12:27 am
kopites are gobshites

this charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to behold

"the good life!"???????
bugger this thread title! i was only popping in for some saucy Felicity Kendal piccies.
all together now hum the theme tune....................
Old Oct 12th 2009, 12:38 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Congratulations Sarah. Can't help you on the chooks front - but good luck and enjoy!
Old Oct 12th 2009, 1:50 am
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, bantam eggs are pathetically small! They have seemed to get bigger the more they lay but they'll never match a Rhodie.

We started with 4 hens and a rooster (unplanned). Ending up with some lovely chicks - most hand reared in the incubator OH built. I think at most we had 14. The rooster had to go anyway as we're not rural and had a complaint - admitedly he did get noisy crowing in the afternoon.

We've now just got the 7 hens. We sold some of the older ones and just have 2 of the original one and 5 of the chicks (although grown now) and they get on great now (they didn't to begin with).

I like my bantams though as you can't see their legs - I hate chicken skin legs and claws - and love the bantams fluffy slippers!

It takes about 2 bantam eggs to 1 'normal' egg but as we're getting 7 eggs a day every day and some hens even layed through winter (with the help of hot mash feed), we're never short of fresh eggs.

Anyway, Sarah I don't think you'd go wrong with either Shavers or Rhodies and all I know about pigs is that they should be in a secure pen so that they don't grub their way out underneath fencing so electric fence is best (so I've been told) and I've been told Kunikuni (sp) pigs aren't good for eating so avoid them if you want bacon.
Old Oct 12th 2009, 3:20 am
Forum Regular

garfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by TeamEmbo
Yep, bantam eggs are pathetically small! They have seemed to get bigger the more they lay but they'll never match a Rhodie.

We started with 4 hens and a rooster (unplanned). Ending up with some lovely chicks - most hand reared in the incubator OH built. I think at most we had 14. The rooster had to go anyway as we're not rural and had a complaint - admitedly he did get noisy crowing in the afternoon.

We've now just got the 7 hens. We sold some of the older ones and just have 2 of the original one and 5 of the chicks (although grown now) and they get on great now (they didn't to begin with).

I like my bantams though as you can't see their legs - I hate chicken skin legs and claws - and love the bantams fluffy slippers!

It takes about 2 bantam eggs to 1 'normal' egg but as we're getting 7 eggs a day every day and some hens even layed through winter (with the help of hot mash feed), we're never short of fresh eggs.

Anyway, Sarah I don't think you'd go wrong with either Shavers or Rhodies and all I know about pigs is that they should be in a secure pen so that they don't grub their way out underneath fencing so electric fence is best (so I've been told) and I've been told Kunikuni (sp) pigs aren't good for eating so avoid them if you want bacon.

I agree here, kunekune pigs are not good for eating, a friend has got a litter of kunekune X saddle backs for eating, he was told that the kunekune is more of a 'pet' type of pig rather than the eating variety.
I would also get the noses ringed to avoid great big furrows in your paddock

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.