Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Going back to the UK. Recommended Shipping Company/Quotes.

Going back to the UK. Recommended Shipping Company/Quotes.

Old Oct 5th 2012, 4:41 am
Forum Regular

thedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of light
Default Going back to the UK. Recommended Shipping Company/Quotes.

So... we've been toying with the idea for some time now... we've been here for almost exactly 3yrs and 1mth and have now made the decision that we're off back home to the UK.

When we came out here, the shipping company we used was PSS (in the the UK) and NZ Van Lines.

We paid GBP £5,031

Now seeking quotes for the return journey and the first we've received so far, from "New Zealand Movers" is:

PRICE INDICATION
Approximately $11000.00 to $12000.00 NZD

SERVICES INCLUDE
- Supply of all required packing and wrapping materials
- Professional packing of all small goods into cartons
- Professional wrapping of all furniture items
- Labelling and listing all goods on a removal inventory
- Removal of goods from origin residence
- Loading and securing
- Delivery to port
- Freight to destination port of entry
- Payment of destination port/terminal handling charges
- Customs clearance
- Quarantine clearance
- Uplift intact from port
- Direct delivery of container to destination residence
- Unloading and cross checking contents against your removal inventory
- Delivery to destination residence
- Placement of items into the requested rooms
- Unwrapping the furniture items and positioning in preferred area of room
- Unpacking the contents cartons and putting onto a flat surface, i.e. bench top
- Removal of waste packaging materials on day of delivery
- Handover of motor cycle/vehicle from depot

SERVICES EXCLUDE
- Insurance cover whilst in transit/storage
- Customs duties/taxes
- Customs inspection and associated charges, i.e. container x-ray, physical exam
- Quarantine inspection and associated handling
- Quarantine treatment, i.e. fumigation, steam cleaning and handling charges
- Container demurrage and detention at destination port
- Delivery via depot
- Storage and store handling
- Delivery to a bad access where extra time/labour or a ferry vehicle is required
- Parking permits, internal/external lift fees
- Delivery above the 1st floor
- Delivery after hours or on weekends/public holidays
- Commercial customs clearance fees
- Government import permits for motor vehicle/motorcycle/trailer
- On-road costs i.e. compliance, registration, MOT, etc
Has anyone used "New Zealand Movers" - if so, comments about your experience of them would be welcomed?

Also, we're waiting for a quote from "NZ Van Lines" and would appreciate comments about your use of them when shipping to the UK.

Do any of you recommend using any other company and if so, why?
Old Oct 5th 2012, 5:49 am
Just Joined

maddalenna is a name known to allmaddalenna is a name known to allmaddalenna is a name known to allmaddalenna is a name known to allmaddalenna is a name known to allmaddalenna is a name known to allmaddalenna is a name known to allmaddalenna is a name known to allmaddalenna is a name known to allmaddalenna is a name known to allmaddalenna is a name known to all
Default Re: Going back to the UK. Recommended Shipping Company/Quotes.

We have used 'Whites' in the UK they work in conjunction with 'The Moving Company in NZ. Moving out here 3 years ago cost us $5550 at todays exchange. They provided all materials and packed. The figure included insurance. (We only shipped half a container) Full container was quoted at $6550 - using $ rather than sterling as it is probably more relevant. Just waiting for an estimate from The Moving Co for our return to UK. The service was excellent when we came over. That was Door to Door - no hidden costs. Very similar speck to your list.

Last edited by maddalenna; Oct 5th 2012 at 5:51 am.
Old Oct 5th 2012, 8:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Spacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thedtb
So... we've been toying with the idea for some time now... we've been here for almost exactly 3yrs and 1mth and have now made the decision that we're off back home to the UK.

When we came out here, the shipping company we used was PSS (in the the UK) and NZ Van Lines.

We paid GBP £5,031

Now seeking quotes for the return journey and the first we've received so far, from "New Zealand Movers" is:

Has anyone used "New Zealand Movers" - if so, comments about your experience of them would be welcomed?

Also, we're waiting for a quote from "NZ Van Lines" and would appreciate comments about your use of them when shipping to the UK.

Do any of you recommend using any other company and if so, why?

Hi, Are you shipping an entire container. We have gone for a part container and it cost around $3600 with Pickfords.
Old Oct 5th 2012, 9:00 am
Forum Regular

thedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of light

Our original costs from PSS when we came out here were:
  • TO EXPORT PACK, WRAP AND SHIP HOUSEHOLD GOODS AND PERSONAL EFFECTS WITH A VOLUME NOT EXCEEDING 1500 CUBIC FEET IN 1 X 40'GP @ GBP £4674.00,
  • SUPPLY OF 1 X WOODENCASE FOR PIANO @ GBP £95.00,
  • WAREHOUSE HANDLING CHARGE @ GBP £110.00,
  • PRE-EXPORT STORAGE ON EFFECTS FOR FOUR
    WEEKS FROM 10.09.2009 TO 08.10.2009 AT A RATE
    OF 38 PER WEEK @ GBP £152.00
  • Total @ £5031.00

To our knowledge we've accumulated very little extra during our time here, so we expect to be able to get back within the same limit of 1500 Cubic Feet in 1 x 40'GP Container.

The estimated quote of NZ$11k - NZ$12k we've had so far does not incorporate the case for the piano nor any storage period.
Old Oct 7th 2012, 6:11 pm
Banned

tweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud of

New Zealand Movers are excellent. Would recommend them, they packed our things, everything intact when it got to destination. Even crystal. At the other end they were excellent. No complaints. However when we moved to NZ we used Anglo Pacific who lost one of our boxes!
Old Oct 7th 2012, 6:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

janeyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond repute

Not used them but we used Crown when we moved back last time and it was disaster from start to finish
Old Oct 7th 2012, 6:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

janeyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond repute

good luck we will not be far behind you I hope!
Old Oct 7th 2012, 10:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

shirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond repute

Our stuff arrives at our house here in UK on 15th October and we used NZ Van Lines. We paid over $9.800 approx for a 20 foot container. We were advised that our stuff would fit in if we got rid of some , so we got rid of washing machine, tumble dryer, king size bed, bedroom suite, large TV, surround sound and huge BBQ and mowers. When NZ Van Lines came to pack we had a couple of beds left to go in which was touch and go and only my OH insisting it all went in the container did it eventually go in. My imac was packed in its original box and I don't think they knew it was an actual PC as I watched it being passed around and moved to fit stuff around it. I have insured this separately so if it is damaged woe betide them! My biggest gripe is that at this end it has been passed to Brittania Movers who came round to look at the house and we are in a village in Devon and the roads are quite narrow and on top of the money already paid they want to charge us another 280 GBP to bring it in a couple of Box vans and not the original container on a truck!

I will let you know how we get on if you like, the packers at NZ end took 2 days to pack us up and get the stuff loaded. They guys were nice enough but one went home sick which left only 2 packing up- but I am sure he had a hangover from Sunday night!

I did have a quote from Crown and was tempted by them as they handled everything but the OP on here says they were disastrous. Are any movers perfect? I don't think so. There will always be stuff lost or damaged I think. We had boxes missing when we arrived in NZ and we used Pickfords then. I think it is a lottery whoever you go with. Good luck !
Old Oct 8th 2012, 12:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi Shirl
we went with Crown because they did both ends however the subcontracted the UK side out without telling us, having said that the guys the UK end were the best we had, the issue for us was we agree we would pack on breakable items such as books and cds etc and they would pack the rest in one day. Moving day came they turned up late 2 guys plus a trainee, half way through the morning a quality guy came round did not like the trainees work who worked at half speed and made them redo the lot! needless to say at 7pm that night lots still to do and in the end they literaly threw stuff on the van not packed! this included glass standard lamps etc. We were fuming as we had dismantled everything that needed undoing etc So it should have been competed.

When we got to the UK and the goods were delivered several items were damaged as well many items missing such as 4 out of 6 dinning chairs, ironing board, 6ft dinning table, a sofa etc when we enquired they were still sitting in Wellington so we had to wait another 3 months for delivery. To top it all they repacked all our boxes we packed mixing everything up so one box might contain 2 cds, 3 dvds 1 box several items from loft boxes so to this day we are still not sure we have everything and will probarly not know! on top of that they renumbered everything so the inventory we had bared no resemblence which also made tracking items difficult. I am 2 years later shuddering at the thought of that move so when we move again I think I will be a nervous wreck and i will definatley not use Crown!
Old Oct 8th 2012, 7:16 am
BE Enthusiast

shirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by janeyk
Hi Shirl
we went with Crown because they did both ends however the subcontracted the UK side out without telling us, having said that the guys the UK end were the best we had, the issue for us was we agree we would pack on breakable items such as books and cds etc and they would pack the rest in one day. Moving day came they turned up late 2 guys plus a trainee, half way through the morning a quality guy came round did not like the trainees work who worked at half speed and made them redo the lot! needless to say at 7pm that night lots still to do and in the end they literaly threw stuff on the van not packed! this included glass standard lamps etc. We were fuming as we had dismantled everything that needed undoing etc So it should have been competed.

When we got to the UK and the goods were delivered several items were damaged as well many items missing such as 4 out of 6 dinning chairs, ironing board, 6ft dinning table, a sofa etc when we enquired they were still sitting in Wellington so we had to wait another 3 months for delivery. To top it all they repacked all our boxes we packed mixing everything up so one box might contain 2 cds, 3 dvds 1 box several items from loft boxes so to this day we are still not sure we have everything and will probarly not know! on top of that they renumbered everything so the inventory we had bared no resemblence which also made tracking items difficult. I am 2 years later shuddering at the thought of that move so when we move again I think I will be a nervous wreck and i will definatley not use Crown!
How many times have you moved back and forth, have you done it more than once? I hate moving and will be glad to be settled in one place for a long long time. Unfortunatley this house is just a six month rental and we will have to do it all again in March arrrgghhh!!!!!
Old Oct 8th 2012, 6:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cornwall to Wellington 2008-2010 Wellington to Cornwall
could not find a job back in the UK 2010 Cornwall to Auckland
Auckland to UK not sure when and never again after that
Old Oct 8th 2012, 8:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by janeyk
Cornwall to Wellington 2008-2010 Wellington to Cornwall
could not find a job back in the UK 2010 Cornwall to Auckland
Auckland to UK not sure when and never again after that
Cornwall was where we lived before we went to NZ. I was born in Devon though. We went for a drive a couple weeks ago to Cornwall, I still love it there. Good luck with your move back.
Old Oct 9th 2012, 1:09 am
CHC-MEL commute since 91

derab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud of

Janeyk, that sounds just like our move from Melbourne to Christchurch with Chess, they used the Moving Company in Christchurch who charged us an extra $250 to deliver on Huntsbury hill, even though that's still metro Christchurch. they would not unpack anything, even though unpack was included in the original contract with Chess Melbourne.
also we would find 5 cups/plates etc.. in one box and the sixth one in a different box (sometimes even a bedroom box or a lounge room box) they pulled the plumbed in fridge out from the wall without any care and ripped out the plumbing, AND I had to call them back to collect the complete contents of the laundry.
as far as Christchurch movers are concerned, I would probably recommend NZ van lines, I worked in the trade in Christchurch (airfreight) and only had good dealings with them.
Old Oct 9th 2012, 3:39 am
Just Joined

KiwiDreamer has much to be proud ofKiwiDreamer has much to be proud ofKiwiDreamer has much to be proud ofKiwiDreamer has much to be proud ofKiwiDreamer has much to be proud ofKiwiDreamer has much to be proud ofKiwiDreamer has much to be proud ofKiwiDreamer has much to be proud ofKiwiDreamer has much to be proud ofKiwiDreamer has much to be proud ofKiwiDreamer has much to be proud of

Shipping thread.
I moved with Crown

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...=703535&page=5
Old Oct 10th 2012, 2:08 pm
Banned

ssautomobile is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks for the link