Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Glut of Rental Property - except Auckland

Glut of Rental Property - except Auckland

Old Apr 14th 2011, 4:21 am

P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Glut of Rental Property - except Auckland

Thought this article may be of some use to those about to come over:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/n...ectid=10719039
Old Apr 14th 2011, 5:10 am
nik
Forum Regular

nik is just really nicenik is just really nicenik is just really nicenik is just really nicenik is just really nicenik is just really nicenik is just really nicenik is just really nicenik is just really nice
Default Re: Glut of Rental Property - except Auckland

There is hardly anything available in Auckland at the moment - we have been here just over a week and have focused on finding a rental full time and we still haven't managed to get anything sorted. And without a lease in place, we can't enrol the kids in school. It is a complete nightmare!! And there are some skanky places with high rentals just because landlords can get away with charging it!
Old Apr 14th 2011, 7:01 am
Forum Regular

craigjohnstone has a brilliant futurecraigjohnstone has a brilliant futurecraigjohnstone has a brilliant futurecraigjohnstone has a brilliant futurecraigjohnstone has a brilliant futurecraigjohnstone has a brilliant futurecraigjohnstone has a brilliant future

I hear you Nik

Seen a couple of real sights over the last few days which are starting to make us panic. At this rate the prospects of actually living in our 40 foot container is becoming quite appealing. Hope all is good with you guys.

Craig
Old Apr 14th 2011, 7:40 am
Citizenships collector...

urbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by nik
There is hardly anything available in Auckland at the moment - we have been here just over a week and have focused on finding a rental full time and we still haven't managed to get anything sorted. And without a lease in place, we can't enrol the kids in school. It is a complete nightmare!! And there are some skanky places with high rentals just because landlords can get away with charging it!
Completely agreed. OH and I have given up looking for a new place for the time being, until things pick up. We're lucky that we're not in a hurry and don't have to move out of our current place so it leaves us a bit more time to look around but it's hard for people who need to move out asap!

As an example, rentals on Trade Me for Auckland CBD used to be approx 900 apartments on offer, I looked on the site about a week ago and there were only around 300

Hopefully the situation will improve soon, good luck Nik

Jen
Old Apr 14th 2011, 7:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

What!! theres loads to choose from.
I'm coming up to view a few on saturday, no problem finding anything.
Spose it depends on what your after
Old Apr 14th 2011, 9:12 am

P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute

Don't be afraid to put a cheeky offer on a rental - although the article implies a lack of rental if you look week on week there is a lot of stuff that remains vacant probably due to the landlords asking for too much rent - I speak from experience and making a really cheeky offers on rentals (like 25-30+% lower than the list price) - if you can guarantee the landlord a long term reliable tenant they may go for it..... do the maths on how long it'll take them to recoup the lower rental versus the property being empty for weeks.
Old Apr 14th 2011, 4:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

rick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant future

We're coming over in a few months and have been looking on trademe for a while and there appears to be quite a few properties. I'll be working in CBD but we'll be living 30mins commute outside (motorcycle commute, so not at all bad!) the CBD and there are lots available. Can't decide between Titirangi or Red Beach type area...
Old Apr 14th 2011, 7:34 pm

both lovely areas - and very different! Have fun exploring both and deciding what's right for you.
Old Apr 14th 2011, 8:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

janeyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond repute

ah Nik I will keep my eyes open any particualr area? try going i n a few estate agents not everything is on trademe, have you tried realestate .com?
Old Apr 14th 2011, 9:49 pm
nik
Forum Regular

nik is just really nicenik is just really nicenik is just really nicenik is just really nicenik is just really nicenik is just really nicenik is just really nicenik is just really nicenik is just really nice

Thanks Jane! I have only been looking on trade me and then the larger agencies like barfoot, harcourts etc so I'll try real estate. I have been looking for 3-4 beds, good school zone, and garage to store boxes when the container arrives. If you come across anything please let me know!

Good luck to everyone else looking!
Old Apr 14th 2011, 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by nik
Thanks Jane! I have only been looking on trade me and then the larger agencies like barfoot, harcourts etc so I'll try real estate. I have been looking for 3-4 beds, good school zone, and garage to store boxes when the container arrives. If you come across anything please let me know!

Good luck to everyone else looking!
what area? I only ask because sometimes you know someone who knows someone...
Old Apr 14th 2011, 10:18 pm
nik
Forum Regular

Thanks! From Milford up to Mairangi Bay.

We have found a lovely rental house in Milford, been approved, but the family are going overseas with work and at the eleventh hour their company is messing them around and they don't know when they are going to be leaving now. The school WILL NOT let us enrol until we are living in the area so we are stuck and having to look at what else is about just in case the first one falls through and we are back to square one.

Our kids have been off school for two weeks now, and with another two weeks Easter hol approaching I don't know who is going more crazy -them or us!
Old Apr 14th 2011, 10:27 pm

not very helpful of the school - but when it's a good school with tight zones I can understand why they do it.... sorry I personally don't know anyone up there, stay cool and enjoy the extended gorgeous weather - I think mine had a month off before they restarted, also I think in general english school children tend to pick everything up really quickly as the education system is not too unlike the UK. Something will turn up and as I mentioned above, don't be scared to look at rentals over your budget and make a cheeky offer! good luck
Old Apr 14th 2011, 10:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

janeyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond repute

nik not sure of your price range but what about this?
http://www.realestate.co.nz/1530309?...min_bedrooms=3
Old Apr 14th 2011, 10:58 pm
nik
Forum Regular

Thanks! We've done a drive by look at this one - but it is still being marketed for sale, so it did put us off in case it sold and we had to leave.

I saw another nice one which was up for rent and sale and having open homes so the tenants had to make sure they could accommodate that at the weekends!!

We're staying with friends at the moment who are great, but we don't want to impose our two noisy kids on them for too long!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.