Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Giving up and going home

Giving up and going home

Old May 8th 2007, 4:37 am
Forum Regular

grimm is a jewel in the roughgrimm is a jewel in the roughgrimm is a jewel in the roughgrimm is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Giving up and going home

Thanks for all the best wishes...much appreciated!

We may look back when the baby is born and wish we'd done everything possible to stay out here and make it - then again I may end up a complete wreck with worry.

Either way we've tried it and have lovely memories of living out here.
Old May 8th 2007, 4:59 am
Forum Regular

Birdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by grimm
Thanks for all the best wishes...much appreciated!

We may look back when the baby is born and wish we'd done everything possible to stay out here and make it - then again I may end up a complete wreck with worry.

Either way we've tried it and have lovely memories of living out here.
Good luck darl with WHATEVER happens.
Old May 9th 2007, 1:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dreamfish
Is this your first child?

The thing is you find ways to make ends meet. Half my baby stuff is second hand - car boots, ebay, hand me downs. I knit, crochet and sew and can make their clothes.
First ever post on a Kiwi forum..the reasoning for the return is sound.

Agree with this.

I don't quite understand what you mean by maternity supplies and their availability. We are on a medium-high income and have hardly spent a cent on maternity gear. All you need is available in NZ.

All you need is milk, bath, clothing, books and a bed will do as a changetable.

I have 2 kids, 1 born less than a week ago.
Old May 13th 2007, 8:49 pm
Forum Regular

Zigzag has a brilliant futureZigzag has a brilliant futureZigzag has a brilliant futureZigzag has a brilliant futureZigzag has a brilliant futureZigzag has a brilliant futureZigzag has a brilliant futureZigzag has a brilliant future
Smile Re: Giving up and going home

Good luck with your decision Manda, whatever you do!

I agree with previous post that you can never AFFORD children, even here with "family allowance" all of £16 a week, we can't afford children, and we have 2!!! But your life and lifestyle does change, things that were important before, no longer seen relevant, we don't have overseas holidays anymore, but we have great family camping holidays in the UK! and from what I gather NZ is not a materialistic place, which UK is!! and horribly so!! one of the reasons we want to leave! Why do we all need a nice house and matching furniture, and curtains!! Hell i've never paid so much for petrol!!!

We are moving to give our children a better chance in life, having been brought up outside of the UK for most of my life, i know that its not that great a place to live and money really isn't everything!! life here is expensive and materialistic, (our mortgage plus the childcare takes up 60% of our take home! (as well as cold! ) i just don't think its a place i want to bring up my boys!

having said that , i can understand where you are coming from! especially if you have family over here, its hard to have kids with no family around, which most of these post-ers will tell you! And you have to do what is right for you and your growing family! just don't be too hasty!!