Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Getting your NZ passport - good, bad, indifferent?

Getting your NZ passport - good, bad, indifferent?

Old Oct 4th 2012, 11:06 am
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute
Default Getting your NZ passport - good, bad, indifferent?

An interesting sub plot was created on anwanti's "Thinking about moving back to England" thread about staying long enough for a passport and what happens after.

I didn't want to hijack the thread so thought I'd start a new one to ask about people opinions on this?

Clearly, from the other thread it divides opinion, with some thinking that a NZ passport isn't worth the waiting for anyway, which I thought was probably a fair comment.

It's no secret that people stay long enough for a passport, sod off to Aus and never return and naturally this annoys some.

So why is this a reasonably common practice?

In my case, my wife is an NZ passport holder, therefore any children we have, including the one we've got are also NZ passport holders (as well as all of them also holding a UK passport).

To that end, I fully intend to stick around long enough for my passport, as it seems to me that I could potentially get stuck in the longer term if I remain on only a UK passport, giving my wife and I problem once the kids have flown the nest, i.e. not giving us the freedom of movement we would have if I have the same passports as my wife.
Old Oct 4th 2012, 11:38 am
Forum Regular

phyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud of
Default Re: Getting your NZ passport - good, bad, indifferent?

Always a bonus.

Kiwis and Aussie's have been travelling between countries for years. OZ is the preferred location for many at the moment but it has always gone in swings and roundabouts.
I'm a bit like you guys. I was born in NZ but have lived in the UK for near on 18 years. Our kids have both NZ and Brit passports as I do but my wife also has a Mauritian passport so We'd like to spend some time there if possible and if it suits our needs so they the kids can get Mauritian passports.

Multiple passports are valuable to open up possibilities for the future. Even if you don't like a country, by getting passports for the kids if gives them options in the future.
Old Oct 4th 2012, 11:43 am
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute

Am I right in saying that whilst both New Zealand and the UK accept dual nationality, neither accepts "tri" nationals?

In which case, as I understand it, the kids and you would have to drop one or the other of UK and NZ ... I could be wrong ...

Anyway, it seems to make sense that the whole family carry the same passports, otherwise untold obstacles could stand in the way of anything you might want to do in terms of working, living, moving, etc?

EDIT - Just taken a brief look in to this and it appears I am wrong. But don't take my work for it.

Last edited by TommyLuck; Oct 4th 2012 at 11:51 am.
Old Oct 4th 2012, 11:51 am
Forum Regular

phyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by TommyLuck
Am I right in saying that whilst both New Zealand and the UK accept dual nationality, neither accepts "tri" nationals?
Never heard that. Best I check it out. Thanks for the heads up.
Old Oct 4th 2012, 11:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Just put an edit at the end of my response ... I could be wrong - it could just be that so long as Mauritius are conducive to tri-nationalility you'll be fine.

Still, I'm not 100% sure - probably best to check, just in case ...
Old Oct 4th 2012, 12:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Clearly I'm busy today (aside from going OT );

From here; http://www.mauritius.alloexpat.com/m..._etiquette.php

"DUAL NATIONALITY:
Mauritius does not recognize or permit dual nationality. If Mauritiusn authorities learn that you are a citizen of for example both Mauritius and the United States, they may require that you either renounce your United States citizenship immediately or forfeit your Mauritiusn citizenship. Dual citizens should consider this issue seriously before traveling to Mauritius."

In which case, definitely worh checking.
Old Oct 4th 2012, 12:45 pm
Forum Regular

TommyLuck, Thanks for the heads up. There are differences with US passports.
Mauritius is a commonwealth country and until the late 60s they used British Passports so MU is fine with Tri Nations from commonwealth countries.
Old Oct 4th 2012, 8:34 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

we wish to stay to get NZ passports mainly to give the kids more opportunities in their lives. Also to enable us when we are older to come and go as we please without the hassle of outstaying our welcome in a country.
Old Oct 4th 2012, 11:06 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

When my OH was 18 months old (the youngest of 6!), his parents decided to emigrate to Australia. They returned to the UK 5 years later. Did they get Aussie citizenship? Did they 'ecky thump

When OH was 11/12 his parents decided to emigrate to NZ & lived in Chch for 4.5 years. They then decided to return to the UK. Did they get NZ citizenship? Did they 'ecky thump .

When I asked his Mum why not, she replied "We just didn't think."

It would've made it a damn sight easier for us to emigrate here if they had, plus given us more choices if they had gone for Oz citizenship. Thankfully we were able to get here on our own merits but I know another brother would've liked to emigrate here but didn't have enough points.

I think that being able to give your children choices is a great gift.
Old Oct 5th 2012, 12:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
we wish to stay to get NZ passports mainly to give the kids more opportunities in their lives. Also to enable us when we are older to come and go as we please without the hassle of outstaying our welcome in a country.
Same here .
Old Oct 5th 2012, 12:15 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
When my OH was 18 months old (the youngest of 6!), his parents decided to emigrate to Australia. They returned to the UK 5 years later. Did they get Aussie citizenship? Did they 'ecky thump

When OH was 11/12 his parents decided to emigrate to NZ & lived in Chch for 4.5 years. They then decided to return to the UK. Did they get NZ citizenship? Did they 'ecky thump .

When I asked his Mum why not, she replied "We just didn't think."

It would've made it a damn sight easier for us to emigrate here if they had, plus given us more choices if they had gone for Oz citizenship. Thankfully we were able to get here on our own merits but I know another brother would've liked to emigrate here but didn't have enough points.

I think that being able to give your children choices is a great gift.
When my husband and his parents emigrated from Britain to NZ in 1966 when he was a nipper it was just taken as read that everything was in order. It wasn't until my husband applied for his British passport when he was a young man that it transpired that nothing had been done regarding NZ citizenship, visas etc .

It was only then that his parents, 'got round to' sorting their citizenship status ! His mother would have us believe a totally different version of the story but re-writing history is something she's good at.
Old Oct 5th 2012, 12:28 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

It isn't quite as easy as picking the choices you want to give them and then wandering around the globe collecting passports like a giant game of Monopoly.

Certain countries prohibit Dual Nationality, others are OK with Dual but prohibit triple or more (after all, dual has a rationale via two parents, triple is harder to justify). Many countries have exceptions for certain other countries (try becoming a citizen of Egypt if you are an Israeli citizen for example).
Old Oct 5th 2012, 12:55 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simonsi
It isn't quite as easy as picking the choices you want to give them and then wandering around the globe collecting passports like a giant game of Monopoly.

Certain countries prohibit Dual Nationality, others are OK with Dual but prohibit triple or more (after all, dual has a rationale via two parents, triple is harder to justify). Many countries have exceptions for certain other countries (try becoming a citizen of Egypt if you are an Israeli citizen for example).
Of course there are limitations but if you have the chance to do this then I can't think why you wouldn't (excepting financial constraints obviously).

I have two German friends who won't give up their German citizenship, one in America & one here & I can understand that. If I was told I could only have one tomorrow, then the NZ would be gone in a flash. I wouldn't give up my British citizenship for anything.
Old Oct 5th 2012, 6:54 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by simonsi

Not really that uncommon. My wife's Dad was Mauritian born but my wife born in UK so that's UK and MU passport for her. I'm a kiwi and have a Brit passport so Assuming that we live in NZ or Mauritius either myself or my wife and our kids would end up with 3 passports.
Old Oct 5th 2012, 7:19 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't say it was uncommon, just that it was harder to justify, and note that many countries have withdrawn citizenship being conferred purely by location of birth, inc the UK.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.