Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Getting to the UK in an emergency

Getting to the UK in an emergency

Old Jan 10th 2008, 9:41 am
Forum Regular

Here comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really nice
Post Getting to the UK in an emergency

I read about Kinsure in the Australia & New Zealand magazine, they are an insurance company who provide travel flights and accomodation for you to get to relatives who live abroad in an emergency. From there website its not clear if it applies to expats living abroad and getting back to the UK.

Are there any insurance companies out there that offer this service for expats? The premium on kinsure for a familly with relatives worldwide is only £89 a year. If it applied to expats who needed to get back to the year i would be more than happy to pay it. So if anyone has a similar policy it would be great to here from you.

www.kinsure.co.uk
Old Jan 10th 2008, 6:07 pm
Forum Regular

sarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting to the UK in an emergency

I had a look at the website and it appears that it does cover you if you live in NZ and need to return to the UK.

Well spotted - I might take out a policy
Old Jan 10th 2008, 6:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Many airlines provide cheap flights to people who are going home because someone is on their last legs or has just died... I understand that a copy of the death cert needs to be shown on check-in for the return leg.

A search of this site (maybe the US section?) provides some more info about this.
Old Jan 10th 2008, 6:13 pm
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

BritsNZ supply repatriation insurance - http://www.britsnz.co.nz/
I think it's a little more expensive than the above.
Old Jan 10th 2008, 9:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

cally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Many airlines provide cheap flights to people who are going home because someone is on their last legs or has just died... I understand that a copy of the death cert needs to be shown on check-in for the return leg.

A search of this site (maybe the US section?) provides some more info about this.
Hi there this exact thing happened to me when my gran was dying in the UK last year and i flew Air New Zealand was peak prices and of course i needed to go so i paid the price not realising until i phoned to change my return ticket and the consultant said to me i notice you booked and paid to go to the Uk within 3 days? When i explained why she said write to air nz on your return and explain your position. I did this they emailed me a form to which i scanned a copy of my grans death notice fom the paper (which had my name on it also) and also part of the page of the will with my name on it wth no financial details it was just further proof as i had no access to the death certificate without contacting my grans solicitor. Bottom line is they refunded me about $250nz dollars. But as this girl said to me its not something the airlines promote and you cant do it before you go it has to be on your return and it was lucky i got hold of her i guess. Anyhow thats just the experience i had but an insurance policy is probably a good idea depending on the cost i guess.
Cheers
Cally

Last edited by cally49; Jan 10th 2008 at 9:53 pm. Reason: added extra info
Old Jan 10th 2008, 10:15 pm

Avid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond repute

I think, though I'm not sure, that you can also contact the nearest embassy/consulate/high commission and they can sometimes help you with emergency travel.

Bearing in mind that the British Embassy must surely be one of the unfriendliest in the world!
Old Jan 10th 2008, 10:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

teambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to behold

I'm very close to my grandparents and my while sadly my grandmother died a few years back, my grandfather is about to turn 90.

However much i hate to think about it and hope its years away the time will come we need to get back at short notice.

I thought that insurance could be a good idea but.......in the conditions...

The maximum age of your Close Relative is 75..
Old Mar 14th 2008, 9:19 am

Tan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond repute

Did anyone actually go ahead and get one of these insurance policies?

Tan
Old Mar 14th 2008, 10:02 am

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

I had a quick look at it now and the relative has to be under the age of 75
and it doesn't cover pre-existing medical conditions which have required a medical consultation during the last 2 years, plus another clause relating to any prior occurence of cardiovascular problems.

If you were thinking seriously about taking it up it might be worth clarifying with them: if you make a claim what supplying "supporting documentation" entails - I'm guessing it could be things like medical reports, death certs. and check that you can fax this to them, rather than post it.
Old Mar 14th 2008, 10:07 am

Tan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond repute

I had a quick look at it now and the relative has to be under the age of 75 and it doesn't cover pre-existing medical conditions which have required a medical consultation during the last 2 years, plus another clause relating to any prior occurence of cardiovascular problems.
Cheers...

Had seen the 75 age thing so know it won't cover Hubby's grandmother...but all parents on both sides are in their 60's so seemed worthwile. Both also leaving siblings behind. Figured that for £89 we couldn't really go wrong...especially as it would cover costs for all four of us to return!!!!

Tan
Old Mar 14th 2008, 10:09 am

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

The max claim is $5,000 in one year and if you don't have to claim for accommodation it should cover a family of 2 adults and 2 kids.