Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Getting married in NZ - NZ citizen and UK citizen who live in UK

Getting married in NZ - NZ citizen and UK citizen who live in UK

Old Jul 17th 2008, 10:57 am
Forum Regular

velma has a spectacular aura aboutvelma has a spectacular aura aboutvelma has a spectacular aura about
Default Getting married in NZ - NZ citizen and UK citizen who live in UK

Hi can anyone tell me if my partner (a NZ citizen, normal residency Australia except doesn't have citizenship, currently living in England with me on a highly skilled visa) and I (a UK citizen) can go accross to NZ just to get married there and then return home to live in UK? Will the marriage be valid etc for the purposes of a spousal visa to go and live in Australia?

What forms/certs would we need to do - i have seen that there is a requirement to give notice which can be done by post, but I can't see any requirement to apply for a licence from teh NZ home office as he would have to do from teh UK home office if we want to get married here.

Any advice gratefully received!
Old Jul 17th 2008, 11:29 am
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting married in NZ - NZ citizen and UK citizen who live in UK

not a complete answer to all your questions but says what you will need residency/paperwork wise:

http://www.whitesandweddings.co.uk/w...s/new-zealand/
Old Jul 17th 2008, 11:35 am
Forum Regular

velma has a spectacular aura aboutvelma has a spectacular aura aboutvelma has a spectacular aura about

It says that paperwork must arrive 12 weekesd in advance - I haven't seen reference to that time frame on teh official home office site - wonder if that is the company's admin time frame (which seems a lot) or not. Hmmm. may email. Thanks though.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 11:38 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by velma
It says that paperwork must arrive 12 weekesd in advance - I haven't seen reference to that time frame on teh official home office site - wonder if that is the company's admin time frame (which seems a lot) or not. Hmmm. may email. Thanks though.
DON'T Do It - get married that is!!!!

I married a Kiwi - it's our 13 (UNLUCKY for some) anniversary this weekend.

I can offer no other advice ...
Old Jul 18th 2008, 12:11 am
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, i think that is if you wish that company to arrange your wedding, venue, honeymoon. I just thought it might be helpful to you to see what paperwork and residency criteria there were.
Old Jul 18th 2008, 12:46 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

NZ Internal Affairs - Marriage licence

If you live outside of New Zealand:

* You can send the form to the New Zealand Registrar of Marriages closest to where you intend to marry once you have completed the form, signed the statutory declaration and had it witnessed by a New Zealand Commonwealth representative. If it is convenient, you can have the declaration witnessed by a Commonwealth Representative, at our London or Sydney office. Note: only the Notice of Intended Marriage where both parties ordinarily resident outside New Zealand (BDM 58) can be signed by a Commonwealth representative.
* Alternately, if you will be in New Zealand at least three working days before the ceremony (either the bride or groom, or both) you can sign the statutory declaration and have it witnessed by a Registrar of Marriages in New Zealand.
* See Cheque Payments for a New Zealand Marriage Licence or New Zealand Civil Union Licence to check the locations of the Registry Offices in New Zealand. The contact details for your nearest Registrar of Marriages can be obtained by contacting us or contact the District Court for their addresses.
* You should advise the Registrar of the date that you intend to collect the marriage licence (this must be at least three days after your completed form reaches the Registrar).
* For more details about applying from overseas, see 'When and How to Apply for a Marriage Licence; If you both live outside New Zealand'.

With this

Originally Posted by Vela
Will the marriage be valid etc for the purposes of a spousal visa to go and live in Australia?
You may do better if you ask this on the Australian forum. As you say ,you would need a spousal visa and a great deal of evidence.
Old Jul 18th 2008, 2:21 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Hi can anyone tell me if my partner (a NZ citizen, normal residency Australia except doesn't have citizenship, currently living in England with me on a highly skilled visa) and I (a UK citizen) can go accross to NZ just to get married there and then return home to live in UK? Will the marriage be valid etc for the purposes of a spousal visa to go and live in Australia?
What exactly do you mean by "normal residency"? Has your partner applied for and been granted a permanent residence visa?

And if not, how long has he or she been living in Australia? Any reason why Australian citizenship has not been obtained (it can make the sponsorship process simpler for New Zealanders in many cases).