Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Getting Cold Feet (& haven't even left the UK yet)

Getting Cold Feet (& haven't even left the UK yet)

Old Mar 8th 2016, 5:18 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting Cold Feet (& haven't even left the UK yet)

Originally Posted by KOH2
Thank you for your reply simonsi. Just to carify - does the drinking water come from the tank too? Not the mains like in the UK?

Correct, if you are on tank then likely there is NO mains supply.

That's good to know - I hope there aren't any drainage issues associated with the heavy rainfall. We've sometimes had surface flooding in our town due to drains not being able to cope
Of course there are! From time to time weather systems come through that cause flooding in areas of both islands.

In addition the roads tend to have large drainage ditches alongside that, due to the cost, aren't seamlessly protected by armco so inattention on rural roads gets ounished pretty harshly.
Old Mar 8th 2016, 9:29 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for your reply simonsi. Just to carify - does the drinking water come from the tank too? Not the mains like in the UK?

That's good to know - I hope there aren't any drainage issues associated with the heavy rainfall. We've sometimes had surface flooding in our town due to drains not being able to cope
LOL, most people have mains water, but if you are in a rural location it will probably be a water tank and maybe even a septic tank for sewerage.

It rains a lot in Auckland, so surface flooding is common when the storm water drains can't cope. It usually drains away very quickly though. Can say for the area you might be moving to.
Old Mar 9th 2016, 7:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jmh
LOL, most people have mains water, but if you are in a rural location it will probably be a water tank and maybe even a septic tank for sewerage.

Per capita that is correct given most people live in urban centres but anything rural will be tank water (bore or roof fed) and septic tank. Nothing to fret about with the latter, most UK rural properties are the same.
Old Mar 28th 2016, 10:10 pm
Just Joined

Shorelands is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for your reply jmh.

Unfortunately our mortgage is coming to an end and we won't be able to get a new one (OH too old). So a move would have to have been on the cards anyway - a cheaper area of the UK or NZ. We have enough equity in the house to be able to buy outright in Wanganui. Also reading about people's experiences with renting in NZ makes me wary of following suit. We want to feel comfortable in our living space & able to make any necessary adjustments as we see fit. Insulation & proper heating is top of my list - in fact it's one of the absolute deal breakers when looking for new property. I'm not a hot water bottle person
Have you checked out the exchange rate at this moment in time? We planned to exchange 250k and have been watching exchange rate since sept, we have lost the equivalent of $100k as the pound becomes weak with the impending doom of the UK coming out of the EU. We are having to rent. Arrive in Christchurch 24th April.
Old Mar 29th 2016, 12:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Kotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shorelands
Have you checked out the exchange rate at this moment in time? We planned to exchange 250k and have been watching exchange rate since sept, we have lost the equivalent of $100k as the pound becomes weak with the impending doom of the UK coming out of the EU. We are having to rent. Arrive in Christchurch 24th April.
But as gambler, you will be ready to change it all when the £ bounces up when UK chickens out on Brexit :-) of course if Brexit strikes it could drop another 10%.
Old Mar 29th 2016, 7:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shorelands
Its not really lost, as it was never yours in the first place.
Why didnt you exchange in September, it was obvious the brexit debate
was only ever going to have a negative impact

I guess I just dont get speculative greed.I don't see the point in
worrying over something that doesn't exist.
Old Mar 29th 2016, 7:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Justcol
Its not really lost, as it was never yours in the first place.
Why didnt you exchange in September, it was obvious the brexit debate
was only ever going to have a negative impact

I guess I just dont get speculative greed.I don't see the point in
worrying over something that doesn't exist.
A bit po faced - if you expect to have $xxx at current rates and plan on that basis and by the time you sell your house/migrate it has dropped 10% it would throw my plans too.
Old Mar 29th 2016, 7:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Hazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond repute

I've spent most of my life living in houses with tank and soakaway sewarge systems and never had a problem. Never needed a tank 'pumped out' and only had the odd need to rod the pipse after guests didn't follow the no 'ladies towels' down the loo rule. We now have a sign in the bathroom that says, "You clog it, you rod it".

We've always had mains water but we're the only house in the hamlet with it. With the tank water supply I'm assuming there's a filtration system between tank and drinking water outlet or am I being naieve?
Old Mar 29th 2016, 7:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hazelnut
I've spent most of my life living in houses with tank and soakaway sewarge systems and never had a problem. Never needed a tank 'pumped out' and only had the odd need to rod the pipse after guests didn't follow the no 'ladies towels' down the loo rule. We now have a sign in the bathroom that says, "You clog it, you rod it".

We've always had mains water but we're the only house in the hamlet with it. With the tank water supply I'm assuming there's a filtration system between tank and drinking water outlet or am I being naieve?
Naive :-) Some tanks have a vacuum flush system for cleaning claggage out when they fill, some get their tanks cleaned out every few years and a very small minority have what you would consider filtration systems for drinking water. 90% have nothing and seem to thrive on it (not sure mains water is exactly healthy).
Old Mar 29th 2016, 10:49 am
Just Joined

Shorelands is an unknown quantity at this point

I would have exchanged it back in september if id had the money from the sale of the house. i just pointing out that it is better to rent at this moment in time rather than buying a house. will sit and wait for the outcome of the vote. all in my favour i hope.
Old Mar 29th 2016, 5:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kotare
A bit po faced - if you expect to have $xxx at current rates and plan on that basis and by the time you sell your house/migrate it has dropped 10% it would throw my plans too.
Why would you expect anything
Currency rates fluctuate every day, to expect anything is naive.
Old Mar 29th 2016, 7:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kotare
Naive :-) <snippedtext> 90% have nothing and seem to thrive on it (not sure mains water is exactly healthy).
The water from the wells in the other houses in the hamlet was always cleaner than our tap water but they did have filters for bugs and beasties. It's now been polluted by the industrial developments, although they're denyng responsibility, and the mains is now so chlorinated it makes me gag. We've all moved to bottled water
Old Mar 31st 2016, 1:54 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hazelnut
I'm assuming there's a filtration system between tank and drinking water outlet or am I being naieve?
Previous house had UV lights and filters. Current house has nothing. Can't tell the difference TBH.

But the trick is clean gutters and minimise birds on the roof ;-)