Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Getting a bank account

Getting a bank account

Old Jul 3rd 2013, 9:12 am
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute
Default Getting a bank account

What a pain in the bottom.

To cut a long story short; thought, was advised (on here and by other expats and NZers, no blame attached) and the fact my wife set one up whilst being being a UK resident last November that setting up an account required just a couple of proofs of ID.

WRONG!!

Annoyingly, NZ legislation changed in April so it's up to date with the rest of the world in needing a proof of address before setting up an account (hence no blame being attached here on BE).

So, make sure you have this before you try and set one up. Better still, have a go at setting one up before you leave the UK.

I'm sure some people will turn up without a permanent address with a view to finding a rental/something to buy at least to start with, so be aware.

Luckily for me the wife has an account, so she's the chancellor. For now ...

Last edited by TommyLuck; Jul 3rd 2013 at 9:15 am.
Old Jul 3rd 2013, 9:37 am
Forum Regular

janiejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting a bank account

Phew, that was lucky. We organised an account through the New Migrant service with ANZ, mainly to get the baggage deal, but it meant we had all our ducks in a row before we arrived. I would imagine that most of the big banks would offer this, but it may take a bit of research.
Old Jul 3rd 2013, 6:59 pm
JPA
Forum Regular

JPA is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah. We set up a migrant account with BNZ from the UK. Once we had a rental address we closed the account and moved to Kiwi bank. We did need proof of address for the kiwi bank, so we went into BNZ, changed our address from UK to NZ, then asked them to print out a statement with the new address on.
Old Jul 3rd 2013, 11:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JPA
Yeah. We set up a migrant account with BNZ from the UK. Once we had a rental address we closed the account and moved to Kiwi bank. We did need proof of address for the kiwi bank, so we went into BNZ, changed our address from UK to NZ, then asked them to print out a statement with the new address on.
Ah ha.

There's the correct answer right there.
Old Jul 4th 2013, 10:39 am
HPP
Just Joined

HPP is an unknown quantity at this point

We've just set up current and savings accounts with Westpac from the UK. Was easy - one visit to the bank with passports and proof of address. Done. Picking ATM cards etc up when I'm in Hamilton in Aug.
Old Jul 5th 2013, 11:10 am
BE Enthusiast

chc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TommyLuck
Annoyingly, NZ legislation changed in April so it's up to date with the rest of the world in needing a proof of address before setting up an account.
All banks must comply with the new Anti-Money Laundering (AML) rules from 1 July 2013. So yes it has become more difficult to open a bank account. All financial institutions now require proof of who you are and proof of address. The best method is your Passport (must be Valid) and a Utility bill (must be within last 3 months). Must also be a physical address, not a post office box.

To make it more confusing, different providers will accept slightly different items. For example, one company will accept a Sky Bill, but others will not. Not many companies will accept an electronic copy of your utility bill or an online bank statement, just something to be aware of if opening a new account or other financial matter (e.g Kiwisaver).

If you can open a bank account before arriving in NZ like some of the previous comments, then it will make it much easier when you arrive.

Last edited by chc4me; Jul 5th 2013 at 11:14 am.
Old Jul 5th 2013, 3:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

M_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond repute

Even if you set up an account with westpac in the UK you will still need a proof of address when you arrive and walk into your local bank to activate the account.

I got my employer to write me one, and that was sufficient. The initial address I used was temp. They still need the proof though.
Old Jul 5th 2013, 4:25 pm
HPP
Just Joined

Originally Posted by M_and_M
Even if you set up an account with westpac in the UK you will still need a proof of address when you arrive and walk into your local bank to activate the account.

I got my employer to write me one, and that was sufficient. The initial address I used was temp. They still need the proof though.
Not sure that's right, not what Westpac have instructed us to do. The UK branch scanned all our docs and sent them to NZ who have acknowledged receipt and have just said to come in and pick up the card. Maybe its just them
Old Jul 5th 2013, 4:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

M_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HPP
Not sure that's right, not what Westpac have instructed us to do. The UK branch scanned all our docs and sent them to NZ who have acknowledged receipt and have just said to come in and pick up the card. Maybe its just them
They told me that too, in the UK. I speak from experience, I arrived in NZ in April, and I am just telling you what my local Westpc said to me when I went in to access the account. The documents in the UK were to verify my identity but in NZ it was almost like opening it all over again, with the amount of paperwork they asked for.
Old Jul 5th 2013, 4:32 pm
HPP
Just Joined

They told me that too, in the UK. I speak from experience, I arrived in NZ in April, and I am just telling you what my local Westpc said to me when I went in to access the account. The documents in the UK were to verify my identity but in NZ it was almost like opening it all over again, with the amount of paperwork they asked for.
Ah, thank you I shall go prepared!
Old Jul 5th 2013, 4:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HPP
Ah, thank you I shall go prepared!
Although they could see my identity had been verified elsewhere, they still needed me to prove that I was who I said I was, and I still needed a proof of address in NZ as you might expect for a bank account. Once you have that, the bank statement can be used to help you with all the other paperwork trails that you will need to start on!
Old Jul 5th 2013, 4:50 pm
HPP
Just Joined

Although they could see my identity had been verified elsewhere, they still needed me to prove that I was who I said I was, and I still needed a proof of address in NZ as you might expect for a bank account. Once you have that, the bank statement can be used to help you with all the other paperwork trails that you will need to start on!
Hmmm, we don't have an address there yet as we're not moving til December although I am out there in August. I do have a job though and they know that. It was then NZ branch that emailed me to say my card was ready when I wanted to pop in and collect it so I could use it in Aug. I know I have to take my passport. We'll see.
Old Jul 5th 2013, 7:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ooooh!! Perhaps it's watch this space!
Old Jul 6th 2013, 6:35 am
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

I opened my account online whilst in the UK then walked into a local Westpac branch with my passport and a utility bill from the UK, as requested by them. Eftpos card given there and then, easy as
Old Jul 6th 2013, 6:51 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by j19fmm
I opened my account online whilst in the UK then walked into a local Westpac branch with my passport and a utility bill from the UK, as requested by them. Eftpos card given there and then, easy as
I also opened a Westpac account in the UK - went to the branch in London with passport and other ID, including visa grant, and eftpos card sent to UK before we left with pin numbers, so all good to go before we arrived

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.