Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

General Work Permit?

General Work Permit?

Old Sep 19th 2010, 9:26 pm
Forum Regular

Shazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really nice
Default General Work Permit?

Hey all, can anyone give us some advice on a general work permit? My partner and I are heading out on working holiday visa, I have a permanant job as a nurse lined up and look to change my visa of asap. Immigration.gov talks about a work permit to work in a job longer than 3 months but it doesn't tell us how much? how we get one? Just can't find any info on them at all!!
Any help would b great thanks
Shaz
Old Sep 19th 2010, 11:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

lisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: General Work Permit?

I'm a midwife and I'm in NZ on a 3 year work permit so I'll help if I can. I choose this option as it was faster to obtain than PR, even with a slight delay while I got further info on a past medical problem it only took 4 weeks from application to receiving my visa.

This is the info on the visa I have - http://www.newzealandnow.govt.nz/work-visa~13.html and as a nurse with a job offer its the one I guess you'll be looking at as well.

You'll need all the same documentation you would need for PR, medicals, police clearance etc. As Im sure you know you could of course go straight for PR if you have the time to wait as it does take a bit longer to process however you can also get your work visa and then apply for PR once your here if you want to go with the fastest option for now.

Hope that helps and hasnt confused you even more! Let me know if I can help with anything else.
Old Sep 20th 2010, 7:46 am
Forum Regular

tiri is a jewel in the roughtiri is a jewel in the roughtiri is a jewel in the roughtiri is a jewel in the roughtiri is a jewel in the rough

Lisa, why are you on a three year work visa if you're a nurse? surely PR would've given you better security?
Old Sep 20th 2010, 8:02 am
BE Enthusiast

lisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tiri
Lisa, why are you on a three year work visa if you're a nurse? surely PR would've given you better security?
Solely because I wanted to move as fast as possible and the work visa is much quicker to process. Planning on applying for PR now that I'm here though.
Old Sep 20th 2010, 9:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Boopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond repute

Has PR & immigration changed? I'm a nurse & came out 4 years ago, as soon as I had a job offer, I got PR for myself & family..... It took 2 weeks!
Old Sep 20th 2010, 10:16 am
Forum Regular

Shazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really nice

Originally Posted by lisamct
I'm a midwife and I'm in NZ on a 3 year work permit so I'll help if I can. I choose this option as it was faster to obtain than PR, even with a slight delay while I got further info on a past medical problem it only took 4 weeks from application to receiving my visa.

This is the info on the visa I have - http://www.newzealandnow.govt.nz/work-visa~13.html and as a nurse with a job offer its the one I guess you'll be looking at as well.

You'll need all the same documentation you would need for PR, medicals, police clearance etc. As Im sure you know you could of course go straight for PR if you have the time to wait as it does take a bit longer to process however you can also get your work visa and then apply for PR once your here if you want to go with the fastest option for now.

Hope that helps and hasnt confused you even more! Let me know if I can help with anything else.

Hey thanks for the reply, when you say PR i'm assuming you mean permanant residency? We were going to switched to skilled migrant cat visa when we get out there, were coming over on a working holiday. Can I start work when I get there on a working holiday if *I have registered with the nursing council?
I'm abit confused
Old Sep 20th 2010, 11:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

RobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shazmoo
Hey thanks for the reply, when you say PR i'm assuming you mean permanant residency? We were going to switched to skilled migrant cat visa when we get out there, were coming over on a working holiday. Can I start work when I get there on a working holiday if *I have registered with the nursing council?
I'm abit confused
WHV are designed for temporary work not perminant.
You can only work for a maximum 12 months for one employer on a WHV.
I am a nurse and came over with PR for me and my family. PR is fast tracked for anyone with a job offer. Check out our time line below.
We only came out in August as our house took a while to sell, could have come out as soon as PR was granted. HTH.

Last edited by RobDon; Sep 20th 2010 at 11:45 pm.
Old Sep 21st 2010, 12:29 am
BE Enthusiast

AngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond repute

PR is fast tracked for anyone with a job offer.

Not always the case as we found out my husband had a job offer but it took 6 months from ITA being lodged to get PR because I have a medical condition. It was very frustrating!