GBP USD crisis

Old Oct 10th 2009, 9:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute
Default GBP USD crisis

Well it is for people who WANT to buy the kiwi..very good if you are going the other way however!! I listened to an economic prog. on the radio this morning and things look hugely bleak..particularly on the US front, the GBP is as we all know doing bad too. Apparently there seems to be no stopping the kiwis rise in value. Apparently there is little or nothing anyone can do to stop the rise as Bevs says que sera etc, blah blah.

The US is in such fiscal shite (one trillion in debt) and rising and they print more paper to get by which apparently serves to fan the fires of debt. The HiFX update on the UK economy has something of an air of optimism about it. Meanwhile the US $ the reserve currency of the world may not be so for much longer. Gold seems to be king. Which is nice as I have about 10 grammes on my wedding finger!!!!!!

Anyway the point of this thread is does anyone know of any UK fisal product that you can by from NZ that is a safe and reasonable investment for say 1-3 years? Dont want any offshore stuff as I have little confidence in the likes of Eire or IoM after comments were made about their ability to pay up if a large amount of shit hits their guarantee fan.

It has to be something that allows a non UK resident to invest in it. At the momonet my only inspiration is premium bonds. Any ideas please??
Old Oct 12th 2009, 4:10 am
Cow on the Beach

Wooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: GBP USD crisis

Originally Posted by Genesis
Well it is for people who WANT to buy the kiwi..very good if you are going the other way however!! I listened to an economic prog. on the radio this morning and things look hugely bleak..particularly on the US front, the GBP is as we all know doing bad too. Apparently there seems to be no stopping the kiwis rise in value. Apparently there is little or nothing anyone can do to stop the rise as Bevs says que sera etc, blah blah.

The US is in such fiscal shite (one trillion in debt) and rising and they print more paper to get by which apparently serves to fan the fires of debt. The HiFX update on the UK economy has something of an air of optimism about it. Meanwhile the US $ the reserve currency of the world may not be so for much longer. Gold seems to be king. Which is nice as I have about 10 grammes on my wedding finger!!!!!!

Anyway the point of this thread is does anyone know of any UK fisal product that you can by from NZ that is a safe and reasonable investment for say 1-3 years? Dont want any offshore stuff as I have little confidence in the likes of Eire or IoM after comments were made about their ability to pay up if a large amount of shit hits their guarantee fan.

It has to be something that allows a non UK resident to invest in it. At the momonet my only inspiration is premium bonds. Any ideas please??
Buy a house!!!

Seriously - there are reports that hosue prices will dip again so I expect that to happen between now and next Spring. If you bought a house in the UK you could rent it out, which would give you a return, and the possibiltiy of capital increase.

I looked at this years ago and there are compnaies where you effectviely invest in little bits of lots of properties.

....or buy stocks - there are plenty out there with dividend yields far in excess of the miserable interest rates you can get in a bank. Again I think we're in for a correction in the next months but....I am told that if the Dow exceeds 10500 for a period then there should be upward momentum however before it gets there, there is a risk of a big 'double dip'...

...and yes even in a recession there are defensive stocks that can show a good return (for example Tesco - only 20% away from an all time high, and with a dividend of over 3%)

...final word....diversify - that way you can ride the changes in a volatile market ( I can still smile at the stocks still sitting in my portfolio having done NOWT for years beacuse...I bought them at the same time as others which when I sold more than made a healthy return for ALL the good and bad shares)
Old Oct 12th 2009, 4:40 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

National Savings products like index linked savings certificates is all I have found so far. They only let you buy the lower paying issues from overseas though as I said in that other thread.
I suppose many eggs in many baskets is the way to go really in current climate.
Old Oct 12th 2009, 4:44 am
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Buy property in the UK. In the long run, you cannot lose. My house that I bought in 1974 for 10,000 is now worth 350,000. That's a pretty good return. Especially if you buy on the dips, like in early 2010.
Old Oct 12th 2009, 5:07 am
Northern Monkey

adamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by johnh009
Buy property in the UK. In the long run, you cannot lose. My house that I bought in 1974 for 10,000 is now worth 350,000. That's a pretty good return. Especially if you buy on the dips, like in early 2010.
Need to think about the fees on property investment if its only a short term investment. Surveys and legal fees on the purchase, and estate agents fees, HIPS and legal fees on the sale would all eat into your investment return and maybe mean you'd have to commit yourself to nearer to the higher range of your 1-3 year timescale to make a decent return. Not sure what the OPs financial position is, but if they had to get a buy to let mortgage on top of their capital then that may cost too.
They'd get limited liquidity with property investment as well. If the exchange rate looks good its a least two months before you can sell and get your cash, maybe more if the property is tenanted.
Put it in the bank and hang on grimly for 2.4 to the pound if you ask me.
Old Oct 12th 2009, 5:20 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wooly_Cow
...final word....diversify
I think Genesis knows this one now.
Old Oct 12th 2009, 6:28 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I saw a piece the other day about oil prices being in gold rather than US$. This recession keeps getting legs and running off in different directions. Which, like Wooly Cow says, is what you should do Genesis. And what I'd do IF I had money (I'm great on theory ).

Buy property here - at least you'll be able to keep an eye on it. Buy one with a sitting tenant 'who would love to stay on' The recession isn't going to be over in Ireland for another two years they reckon and who knows where they will be by then - their knees will have blisters I reckon! btw there's no such place as Eire - it's a romantic name for a United Ireland

Bet if you contacted Tony Alexander he'd give you good advice - as far as I can see he's the only one who has predicted correctly over the last year.
Old Oct 12th 2009, 8:39 am
BE Enthusiast

chocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Batty
Yeah, I saw a piece the other day about oil prices being in gold rather than US$. This recession keeps getting legs and running off in different directions. Which, like Wooly Cow says, is what you should do Genesis. And what I'd do IF I had money (I'm great on theory ).

Buy property here - at least you'll be able to keep an eye on it. Buy one with a sitting tenant 'who would love to stay on' The recession isn't going to be over in Ireland for another two years they reckon and who knows where they will be by then - their knees will have blisters I reckon! btw there's no such place as Eire - it's a romantic name for a United Ireland

Bet if you contacted Tony Alexander he'd give you good advice - as far as I can see he's the only one who has predicted correctly over the last year.
I don't think gold's a good long term investment, it's only recently back above it's early 80's peak & without considering inflation.

I don't think I'd be in rush to invest in NZ property, might be wrong but I can't see it rising much in the near future, it was as over valued (relative to incomes) as UK and US and didn't dip as far, and has had a recent hike which can'd be sustained.
Also some kind capital gains tax on propert has to happen eventually, despite those in power (what % must have 2nd homes) having a vested interest in not introducing it.

UK property might be beoming an attractivve investment but as another poster has mentioned above, there's the trading taxes to consider - stamp duty, sol fees etc, plus the hassle of organising things remotely.

Don't rule out the UK GBP rebounding aginst the NZ$ from it's current low, all the people forecasting further dips and new levels are the same people forecasting US$200/barrel oil prices this time last year. The outlook for UK isn't good, but state of NZ economy isn't reflected by the current high NZ$ value.

Problem with the level of the defensive shares is that the value of them is already reflected in the current prices especially after the jump in share values since March.

The big question the safe attractive investment? I haven't a clue!
Old Oct 12th 2009, 9:22 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

Do we trust future governments to make the same mistakes again and keep interest rates too low?

Agreed on taxation against capital gains on properties, it has to happen if the New Zealand economy is to bring itself to producing things that we can export (other than dairy products).
Old Oct 14th 2009, 11:49 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

...bump...

did you settle on something overseas and offshore Genesis or have you decided to have a foreign currency a/c here in NZ?
Old Oct 15th 2009, 12:07 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

government bonds in the short term might be good for a return (as the US and UK and NZ govt. will be looking to borrow from you!!) though I'm not so sure how secure they are .....

dsiclaimer: .....blah blah, value of investments, blah blah, down as well as up, blah blah......

....take professional advice though......please.......
Old Oct 15th 2009, 5:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
...bump...

did you settle on something overseas and offshore Genesis or have you decided to have a foreign currency a/c here in NZ?
Hi Bevs, just thinking at the mo about leaving half in Nationwide UK and moving the other half to Nationwide IoMan. Thus getting (hopefully) extended bank guarantee on Kate's money nas its not all covered in the Nationwide..and as we all know you can't open an acct in the UK unless you reside there. GPB accts here pay zero interest so its better in the UK where it gets a tiny half of one %!!! So we are still looking for an alternative haven for Kate's money. I see the kiwi is at almost .75 to the US$$. Its like a bloody steam train innit??? When will all this end? And as our 4 is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo strong one would expect petrol which is an import to be barreling down in price (pun intended)..of course its not and had a few cents hike. Us little people get shafted everyday don't we by the big, greedy fat cats. I think I will become an anarchist. Where is my studded velvet dog collar?
Old Oct 15th 2009, 8:00 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

How about a NZ bank account, eg the ASB foreign currency account?
They are advertising them on the splash page for my business banking.....

https://www.asb.co.nz/Personal/Inter...rrency-Account

not checked it out yet, as I sometimes take foreign currency payments, at the moment they end up in my UK accounts.

Ahhhh it pays no interest on the UK-monopoly money........oh well might be OK for my Australian work......sorry

Last edited by lardyl; Oct 15th 2009 at 8:02 pm. Reason: no interest on the UK-monopoly money
Old Oct 16th 2009, 9:11 am
Account Closed

Yotty is an unknown quantity at this point

UK-Monopoly money....! What did Harold Wilson say? the pound in your pocket will be unaffected ...
Old Oct 16th 2009, 10:12 am
Banned

danjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nice

Poppy cock!

You say that to anyone who bought in 2007 or 1990.

Keep it in £s as it will bounce back, Many online savings accounts still offer 3% in the UK if you don't withdraw.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.