GASMAN

Old Sep 12th 2009, 9:08 am
Forum Regular

Riverside has much to be proud ofRiverside has much to be proud ofRiverside has much to be proud ofRiverside has much to be proud ofRiverside has much to be proud ofRiverside has much to be proud ofRiverside has much to be proud ofRiverside has much to be proud ofRiverside has much to be proud ofRiverside has much to be proud ofRiverside has much to be proud of
Default GASMAN

Hi All
Just thought I would say hello again. New Plymouth seems to be a nice enough place and I have met some really nice people here, including my neighbours who are GREAT!
Having said that I have also met some not so nice ones.....unfortunately one of which is the owner of the company I work for, and is making my life hell!
He has nothing but scorn for anything I seem to have done in the past, is dismissive of the way I work or of anything that I have done in the UK.
(I was an Emergency gas engineer most recently, as well as working for years in the commercial catering industry, both installation and servicing.)
I have found out that my particular mix of qualifications have [U]never[U] been "mapped" before here in NZ (and that is from both Utilitech and Powerco), by that I mean compared, and so I have had to enter a training agreement just to find out what it is I am allowed as prior learning when it comes to retraining in any line of NZ qualifications.
For other people interested in coming out here...it cost $170, to enrol.
Please note against all I have said is the fact that I can reach a most fantastic beach within 5 mins and enjoy playing with my youngest in the rock pools and sand.......I just have to find a way of balancing my really neat private life with the huge c**k-up that is my professional life.
If there is anyone out there that can offer any assistance...don't be shy!!
Nick
Old Sep 12th 2009, 9:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Jo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: GASMAN

Originally Posted by Riverside
Hi All
Just thought I would say hello again. New Plymouth seems to be a nice enough place and I have met some really nice people here, including my neighbours who are GREAT!
Having said that I have also met some not so nice ones.....unfortunately one of which is the owner of the company I work for, and is making my life hell!
He has nothing but scorn for anything I seem to have done in the past, is dismissive of the way I work or of anything that I have done in the UK.
(I was an Emergency gas engineer most recently, as well as working for years in the commercial catering industry, both installation and servicing.)
I have found out that my particular mix of qualifications have [U]never[U] been "mapped" before here in NZ (and that is from both Utilitech and Powerco), by that I mean compared, and so I have had to enter a training agreement just to find out what it is I am allowed as prior learning when it comes to retraining in any line of NZ qualifications.
For other people interested in coming out here...it cost $170, to enrol.
Please note against all I have said is the fact that I can reach a most fantastic beach within 5 mins and enjoy playing with my youngest in the rock pools and sand.......I just have to find a way of balancing my really neat private life with the huge c**k-up that is my professional life.
If there is anyone out there that can offer any assistance...don't be shy!!
Nick
Hope you sort out the work stuff soon. Sounds like everything else is great!
Old Sep 12th 2009, 12:20 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Umm.
Hard for me to offer anything under the circumstance. Were you NVQ 3 and above . C&G 1 and 2 advanced or C&G level 3. I can't remember.

Did you not do the PGDB gas pre-assessment then which enabled you to sit the registration thing. or are they now asking for more quality blood?

I know they are way behind in plumbing and gas . You seen to be doing the National Certificate of assessment for previous workmanship and qualification and you have my complete sympathy.

Yes. I do know that the NZ plumbing and gas-fitting trade has a huge chip on it's shoulders. Doesn't help the migrant on the ground though.
Old Sep 12th 2009, 7:12 pm
Forum Regular

Riverside has much to be proud ofRiverside has much to be proud ofRiverside has much to be proud ofRiverside has much to be proud ofRiverside has much to be proud ofRiverside has much to be proud ofRiverside has much to be proud ofRiverside has much to be proud ofRiverside has much to be proud ofRiverside has much to be proud ofRiverside has much to be proud of

Hiya Bevs
Yes C&G 1 and 2 (craft and advanced craft plumbing, backed up by acops and acs modules, and transco training) ....but only accepted by PGDB for my gasfitting side due to my work experience. So I have a limited licence for gasfitting.
But as you rightly pointed out on your many postings ,helping everyone, you still have to pass this exam from the PGDB in order to become registered. And the exam covers the whole spectrum of being a gas fitter here and is not modular as in the UK, so effectively I will have to learn how to do everything NZ, including learning the NZ gas regs!. (as far as I know the exam is also closed book?)
To be honest I think the carrot from the PGDB saying all you have to do to become a NZ tradesman is pass a registration exam when you come from the UK is very misleading, and seems to me to be a money spinner, luring people to take an exam (spending a lot of money in the process!) when realistically they no chance of passing it unless they enrol on a course first!
Nick