Gardening

Old Oct 25th 2010, 7:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Gardening

I love gardening. I used to look after my garden in the UK but was constantly fed up with garden pests, roses that got black spot, flowers that died cos they were waterlogged or dehydrated, and basically in the end gave it over to either lawn or bedding plants

Now we have settled into our house (after 10 months) I decided to have a go at the overgrown garden. It quickly defeated me as it had not been tended properly for at least 3 years, and its huge, so I got some lovely lady gardeners in who spent at least 60 hours clearing and replanting it last autumn.

And now, slowly, the results are starting to show. Some pics for you - I reckon it will be another year before all of the beds are lovely, but we have rescued some of them, and others are still being planted. I had my first rose out today too - we have about 80 rose bushes so soon it should be stunning Plants grow well here, I irrigate from our well and everyday new flowers are coming through, including some I could never grow in the Uk.

Just thought some new people from the UK might like to see this additional attraction to the South Island, if you're into gardening...

Jan
Attached Thumbnails Gardening-dsc00441-large-.jpg   Gardening-dsc00452-large-.jpg   Gardening-view-roof-3.jpg   Gardening-view-roof-2.jpg   Gardening-dsc00453-large-.jpg  

Old Oct 25th 2010, 7:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gardening

more
Attached Thumbnails Gardening-dsc00439-large-.jpg   Gardening-dsc00443-large-.jpg   Gardening-dsc00440-large-.jpg  
Old Oct 25th 2010, 7:27 am
BE Enthusiast

dannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil
more
Wow that section is HUGE - not much of a gardener myself but it does all look very pretty. Do you have a veg patch?
Old Oct 25th 2010, 8:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dannigirl
Wow that section is HUGE - not much of a gardener myself but it does all look very pretty. Do you have a veg patch?
It's 2.5 acres but it looks bigger cos it's all garden rather than paddock for livestock.

yes, we have a small raised veg garden, but I haven't started on it. There's only two of us and the dogs don't eat veggies so don't feel hugely motivated to plant it to be honest....
Old Oct 25th 2010, 9:36 am
BE Enthusiast

LukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond repute

Hey it does look really good!
Sitting outside in the summer relaxing, really tranquil.
Old Oct 25th 2010, 9:10 pm
Newbie in New Zealand

Nelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to all

I love gardening but I think your idea of getting someone in was genius. It takes all the guess work out of selecting the right plants for the climate etc

The garden will grow around you and become more established as you do in your new home.

Enjoy it, it's lovely.
Old Oct 25th 2010, 11:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Nelly Trolley
I love gardening but I think your idea of getting someone in was genius. It takes all the guess work out of selecting the right plants for the climate etc

The garden will grow around you and become more established as you do in your new home.

Enjoy it, it's lovely.
exactly! It turns out I was cultivating two sorts of weeds
Old Oct 26th 2010, 7:47 am
~^_^~

shelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond repute

nice!!

We've just got into gardening ourselves - in the UK we didn't have a garden so I've never really done anything before.

In our rental we have to take care of the lawn and the landlord pays someone to take care of the rest......which we have found out is paying someone to spray weedkiller over the rest of the section - which is quite big (for me).

So we managed to tell the guys to stop spraying weedkiller, as all the neighbours like to do organic gardening and it wasn't working anyways.

So ten we decided to tackle the jungle ourselves - the weeds were almost head height - and we have now cleared a third of the jungle, and got our very own veggie patch.

Our next door neighbour told us yesterday that the section hadn't been used in over 20 years, so I feel quite proud of us!

I'll have to try to upload some photos at some point.
Old Oct 27th 2010, 9:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

shirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond repute

Oh it all looks so lovely, can't wait to see it on Saturday. Hope the weather is good for the BBQ! We only have a postage stamp compared to yours but it is sooo hard work with all the couch grass that keeps coming up from the fence line which backs on to a badly kept field and stream at the back of ours. The weeds were above the fence on the other side if you get my meaning, not on our garden but the bank of the stream! We have veggies, strawberries going mental and spreading all over the place, rhubarb, spuds, celery, toms, brocolli, runner beans and lettuce there is only 2 of us as well! No dogs, but have family to pass some on to! I think OH planted the beans in a big patio pot and he is going to do a wig wam and make it easier for me to pick them and keep them watered. Same with the lettuce just outside the door in a pot so I can pick leaves for salad!
Old Oct 27th 2010, 9:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by shirl
Oh it all looks so lovely, can't wait to see it on Saturday. Hope the weather is good for the BBQ! We only have a postage stamp compared to yours but it is sooo hard work with all the couch grass that keeps coming up from the fence line which backs on to a badly kept field and stream at the back of ours. The weeds were above the fence on the other side if you get my meaning, not on our garden but the bank of the stream!
Round Up is your friend
Old Oct 28th 2010, 12:04 am
BE Enthusiast

shirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil
Round Up is your friend
Yes sprayed a few times with that but pesky things still pop up, I think I would need to buy shares in Round Up to make it worth while!Trouble is they are in amongst our flower border so we have to be careful. See you Saturday!
Old Oct 28th 2010, 12:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Looks lovely! Enjoy.