garage equipment

Old Jun 15th 2011, 11:26 am
BE Enthusiast

florabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond repute
Default garage equipment

I am planning on taking quite alot of tools accross to NZ, I have several tool boxes, hydraulic press, trolley jacks etc. How fussy do I have to be in cleaning, painting? any info would be appreciated.
Old Jun 15th 2011, 3:45 pm
Forum Regular

selondon is just really niceselondon is just really niceselondon is just really niceselondon is just really niceselondon is just really niceselondon is just really niceselondon is just really niceselondon is just really niceselondon is just really niceselondon is just really niceselondon is just really nice
Default Re: garage equipment

All tools will be checked by MAF. You need to clean them with Jeyes fluid or suchlike. They are v.fussy and you will be charged for anything they have to clean/fumigate. Don't give them the excuse to sting you
Old Jun 15th 2011, 5:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

florabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks ~ is it correct that no trace of rust should be seen? Should older tools be painted? Hubby is a mechanic who has a lot of tools along with many inherited tools from my father. What a lot of work!
Old Jun 15th 2011, 7:49 pm
Forum Regular

nicorsts1 is just really nicenicorsts1 is just really nicenicorsts1 is just really nicenicorsts1 is just really nicenicorsts1 is just really nicenicorsts1 is just really nicenicorsts1 is just really nicenicorsts1 is just really nicenicorsts1 is just really nice

Originally Posted by florabundi
Thanks ~ is it correct that no trace of rust should be seen? Should older tools be painted? Hubby is a mechanic who has a lot of tools along with many inherited tools from my father. What a lot of work!
I was told by a big shipping company that my hand tools just needed to be wiped clean but not to worry too much with them, i.e rust, small traces of old oil/greases. Even said that wood cutting tools with small amounts of sawdust were ok... Still think its best to check with MAF though.
Old Jun 15th 2011, 11:11 pm
Forum Regular

selondon is just really niceselondon is just really niceselondon is just really niceselondon is just really niceselondon is just really niceselondon is just really niceselondon is just really niceselondon is just really niceselondon is just really niceselondon is just really niceselondon is just really nice

Yes some of my tools are worn & slightly rusty and got through without a hitch, but the Jeyes fluid thing is a must
Old Jun 15th 2011, 11:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

rick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant future

+1 with jeyes... bought some concentrate and have used it a bit (watered down obviously!).
Old Jun 16th 2011, 8:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks everyone! I will get some jeyes fluid and get to work
Old Jun 18th 2011, 10:21 pm
If u see Sid, tell 'im...

Location: Ex of Hucknall and Mansfield, Notts and now in Manly, Whangaparaoa, just North of Auckland!
sirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by florabundi
I am planning on taking quite alot of tools accross to NZ, I have several tool boxes, hydraulic press, trolley jacks etc. How fussy do I have to be in cleaning, painting? any info would be appreciated.
I bought all mine with me. I cleaned the tool boxes with brake cleaner to remove the grease and oil and buffed the rusty tools with a bench grinder or a wire brush in a drill for the big stuff. Jacks and stands got a lick of paint and everything was wiped with neat jeyes fluid. Made sure it smelled clean. When I got here, MAF never even checked them!