Gangs

Old Jun 24th 2007, 8:26 pm
Forum Regular

Heavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of light
Smile Re: Gangs

Originally Posted by Gill and Rob
That is total rubbish. I have lived in Rotorua for 4 years ( well next month it will be 4 years) and this is simply NOT the truth. And I live on the west side.
I feel far safer roaming around Rotorua than I ever felt in the UK.

Gill
yes and we moved into the eastside and was advised by the police to move out. Which we did. When You have the experience of what we have been through here and its as though we live in different worlds. We came from a high class area of the UK, with good schools and my kids didn'tmix with such people. The gang culture is rife herei n rotorua u must go round with blinkers on. We now live in a very respectable area outside the city, overlooking the lake. We have just won a high court case against what we went through and am glad to be off to the uk on tuesday where it is much safer thanl iving here from our experience.
Old Jun 24th 2007, 8:32 pm
Forum Regular

bro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Gangs

Originally Posted by Sue
You obviously haven't bothered to read the site rules, particularly rule 1.

To come onto this forum and use such language is not appropriate and as such your account has been disabled.
Can't say ABC didn't deserve it give someone a topic to research for a Uni project and suddenly they feel they are a world expert, take some statistics from elsewhere, perhaps some dutch courage and let your imagination run wild.

I have been to most places in NZ, as a door to door salesman I didn't al;ways have a lot of choice as to where I went. I was often warned of gang infuence in certain areas, New Plymouth (Waitara), Wanganui (Gonville and Castle Cliff), Hastings ( Flaxmere). I did see gang members and even spoke to them in their houses. They did not once make me feel unwelcome, at no point did I feel unsafe.

By the way I have no opinion of the above mentioned places these are just places I was explicitly warned about, I could name so many more. I found all of these places great to stay in and would definately visit these places again.
Old Jun 24th 2007, 9:22 pm
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bro69
Can't say ABC didn't deserve it give someone a topic to research for a Uni project and suddenly they feel they are a world expert, take some statistics from elsewhere, perhaps some dutch courage and let your imagination run wild.

I have been to most places in NZ, as a door to door salesman I didn't al;ways have a lot of choice as to where I went. I was often warned of gang infuence in certain areas, New Plymouth (Waitara), Wanganui (Gonville and Castle Cliff), Hastings ( Flaxmere). I did see gang members and even spoke to them in their houses. They did not once make me feel unwelcome, at no point did I feel unsafe.

By the way I have no opinion of the above mentioned places these are just places I was explicitly warned about, I could name so many more. I found all of these places great to stay in and would definately visit these places again.
I think a person's personal experiences and background will of course influence their perceptions and therefore opinion. It is quite possible to live in a city in NZ and not have any real contact with gangs. However, even the sight of gangs in the city streets can invoke trepidation and fear in some.

A lot of those who are affected by gangs are young and vulnerable to intimidation and stand over tactics. Any parent of a teen might have concerns if they live in an area in which their child/ren might 'catch the eye' of gang members.

My best advice is to research the area you are considering moving to. The cheapest of any city's suburbs are always going to be suspect. If you or your kids do see gang members just try to go about your business and ignore them. This won't work 100% of the time, but as I've posted before it's usually the younger gang members, prospects and associates that try to 'make a name' for themselves.

Generally speaking most gang members probably just aren't interested in joe citizen. You really have to be in the wrong place at the wrong time (like anywhere else), or else somehow have come to their attention for a problem to present itself.

Probably 95% or more of NZer's have no real contact or issue with gangs affecting their lives. Those that do are either of their ilk or just unfortuante victims of circumstance (which often can be changed by relocating and breaking any negative associations the family might have picked up).

Last edited by kiwi_child; Jun 24th 2007 at 9:29 pm.
Old Jun 25th 2007, 7:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

nero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond repute

Here in London we have probably just had one of our worst weekend for people being murdered needlessly, 5 in total. The oldest 23 and the youngest 16 in 5 seperate gun and knife related fights, the majority gang related.

So for me I am happy to be leaving the UK very soon, and I do not believe that the youth in the UK turn to designing new fashion/music. They like many other youth gangs turn to violencce and needless killing. I wish it was different.
Old Jun 25th 2007, 7:48 pm
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nero
Here in London we have probably just had one of our worst weekend for people being murdered needlessly, 5 in total. The oldest 23 and the youngest 16 in 5 seperate gun and knife related fights, the majority gang related.

So for me I am happy to be leaving the UK very soon, and I do not believe that the youth in the UK turn to designing new fashion/music. They like many other youth gangs turn to violencce and needless killing. I wish it was different.
When I was around 12-15yrs old my cousin and his mates had their own bikie gang. I had a romantic vision of it, which in some ways still holds true. They were young guys (16-22ish) who loved their Triumphs, BSA's and Nortons. They worked during the week, played rugby league at the local park, had parties on the weekend or went on 'runs'. Occaisonally they got into a bit of 'fisticuffs' as young guys sometimes do. Two or three would drop by my home and bring a few beers for my mum and dad and we'd end up listening to records, chatting and having a beer.

They didn't run drugs (though no doubt a few smoked/grew dope). They didn't rape girls or women. They never stabbed or shot anyone, to the best of my knowledge. I don't recall one who didn't work, who wouldn't offer me a ride home, wave or chat to me when they saw me. If anyone harrassed me and one of them saw it, they would come to my aid. I feel privileged to have known these guys. They were like extended family. They never treated me like I was just 'a kid'.

I think it is so very much harder nowadays to know such a group. Now it's all about organised crime, getting the upper hand, using intimidation, proving you're staunch, etc. At least for the majority of gangs it can appear that way. So very negative by comparison to what I once knew.

Like you, I, and I think the vast majority of us, wish the needless violence limited vision, and 'wannabe' ego would just go away for good. I am sorry to hear London has such troubled youth who see violence, reputation and criminal activity as a valid lifestyle choice.

Last edited by kiwi_child; Jun 25th 2007 at 7:56 pm.
Old Jun 25th 2007, 8:39 pm
Banned

mingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud of

the invasion of american gang culture into NZ makes me cringe. Actually any American culture here makes me cringe. Stuff like rap, hand signals, bandana's, language etc.. When I see kids acting like they were bloods or crips I want to burst out laughing.
Old Jun 25th 2007, 8:47 pm
Jedi Princess

Originally Posted by mingusdynasty
the invasion of american gang culture into NZ makes me cringe. Actually any American culture here makes me cringe. Stuff like rap, hand signals, bandana's, language etc.. When I see kids acting like they were bloods or crips I want to burst out laughing.
It's no doubt particularly prevelant among young Maori and Polynesian youth. They are missing out so much by thinking it's cool to adopt US contemporary black culture over the richness of their own heritages. It's sad.
Old Jun 25th 2007, 9:56 pm
Memetchi

cypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to all

Well... it does make me smile too but you have to remember that rock & roll, punk, new wave, soul etc. etc. were all imported here as well. Go back 40 years and the kids were all trying to be mods & rockers.
Old Jun 25th 2007, 10:42 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

I take it you won't drive a Ford...

Old Jun 26th 2007, 1:13 am
Banned

mingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by happynz
I take it you won't drive a Ford...

I drive a toyota. It's economical, it doesn't breakdown, it has cheap parts and it is built to last. In fact, in every way it's the direct opposite of a Ford : it works.
Old Jun 26th 2007, 4:31 am
Forum Regular

bro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud of

I drive a toyota. It's economical, it doesn't breakdown, it has cheap parts and it is built to last. In fact, in every way it's the direct opposite of a Ford : it works.
Ford are good, stands for First On Race Day!

I agree with lots of these posts however is there an answer, can we ban all American films and music etc? I personally like rap music, foshizzle. People unfortunately are influenced by what they see and hear, we can't just censor everything, not the way a democracy works. However there is only so much blame things like TV, computer games etc can take. I used to watch Strike it lucky, top middle or bottom, doesn't mean I'm going to murder someone and leave him in my swimming pool.
Old Jun 26th 2007, 6:44 am
Memetchi

cypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to all

Thought it was Found On Rubbish Dumps?
Old Jun 26th 2007, 8:09 am
Banned

I agree with lots of these posts however is there an answer, can we ban all American films and music etc?
yes.

Britney spears would be punishable by death in my utopian society.

What is American culture anyway? It is normally watered down pap ready for mass consumption pushed by advertising executives who are only interested in one thing - dollar value.

I despise Rap music. I would rather put my head into a blender and push the on switch than listen to it.

i do like blues, jazz (hence nickname) and folk music. But that died a death a long time ago.
Old Jun 26th 2007, 8:31 am
Jedi Princess

Originally Posted by cypherpunk
Well... it does make me smile too but you have to remember that rock & roll, punk, new wave, soul etc. etc. were all imported here as well. Go back 40 years and the kids were all trying to be mods & rockers.
Very good point. I think it is the US black rapper culture's romanticising of violence, drugs, 'the hood' and 'homeys' etc that is really at question here. These are themes no thinking society would want to see their youth value and seek to emulate.
Old Jun 26th 2007, 12:20 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cypherpunk
Thought it was Found On Rubbish Dumps?
mine was "fix or repair daily".........
no it was very reliable, but not as nice as the GT500 I had to inspect the other day, very nice

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.