Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

is this the future for young people CURRENTLY in NZ?

is this the future for young people CURRENTLY in NZ?

Old Nov 13th 2012, 12:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond repute
Default is this the future for young people CURRENTLY in NZ?

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=10846947
Old Nov 13th 2012, 1:45 pm
Forum Regular

keznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud of
Default Re: is this the future for young people CURRENTLY in NZ?

This is exactly the reason I packed my kids up and got out of NZ.
There are no prospects or the will to promote prospect for the growing Youth
Such a shame!!!
Old Nov 13th 2012, 5:44 pm

waikatoguy is an unknown quantity at this point

No prospects? NZ needs doctors, nurses, mechanics, electricians, plumbers, butchers and candlestick makers, do they not?
People have migrated from NZ to Aus since the 60's. It's a bigger country. It's going to continue. I'm sure I could find a similar article from the 70's in the archives. Meanwhile, NZ's population will keep increasing .... and many of us living here will continue to do really well for ourselves, including many young people.

Last edited by waikatoguy; Nov 13th 2012 at 5:51 pm.
Old Nov 13th 2012, 6:23 pm

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe the question, Stephen, should be. If your kids are poorly educated and come from a low socio economic household, maybe Australia is a better option for them?

Would that apply to your household?

As has been said before, this has been a on going issue for decades. And to be honest, if I was a young Kiwi, then the pull of Australia and the rest of the world is a strong incentive to go do the OE. Thats why NZ is the most travelled nation in the world, with the most WHV agreements in place, then why not?

In regards to the circumstances for the girl in the article, well we do not know them, but working for $23/hr in a factory in Australia is got to be better than $13/hr in a factory in East Tamaki.

Having a quick look at your posts Stephen, there is a lot of "this is *insert subject* bad and put me off moving to NZ".

Go figure.............

Last edited by Catchafire; Nov 13th 2012 at 6:27 pm.
Old Nov 13th 2012, 7:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

nero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond repute

I personally think we really need to look at our education system and the way we train our youngsters and realize that a trade qualification is just as good as an academic qualifiaction. Yes they are different but one is not better than the other. Our country needs tradees just as much as academics and we need to have a route to be able to access these and companies that will support our newly trained tradees.

We need to ensure that our unemployed rates for our youngsters does not get up to the heady heights of some of the european countries (Italy, Spain etc). At the end of the day our youngsters are our future and we must not turn our backs on them.
Old Nov 13th 2012, 9:02 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

I think the future is pretty rosy for young people in NZ; I know I've said it before but it's a country with numerous skills shortages and therefore opportunities for people to leap frog and I think for the second generation Kiwis (our kids!) they don't have the same Euro-centric perspective of their parents.

Also, nothing wrong with hopping the ditch or taking an OE; it's all part of the Kiwi experience.
Old Nov 13th 2012, 10:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Catchafire
Maybe the question, Stephen, should be. If your kids are poorly educated and come from a low socio economic household, maybe Australia is a better option for them?

No, actually it wouldn't. The kids coming with us both have Degrees and are currently studying for a Masters that will be completed before we arrive.

Hopefully this should stand them in good stead.

Steve
Old Nov 13th 2012, 10:31 pm
Account Closed

Tom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura about

I wonder if the attitude towards education and learning in this country is the same as in other countries across the world?

NZ is crying out for many employees, just look at the skills shortage. A good way to get these areas of skilled shortage down is to get youngsters to learn these areas affected. Make them attractive and even provide incentives to them and employers for successful hires

Whatever they do, don't try and fulfil the areas of skilled shortage by making A-level students take key skills qualifications in communication, number and IT. That's just a pathetic way to go about things
Old Nov 14th 2012, 9:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

No irony that Aroha was used by John Key when trying to win himself votes in the election campaign, the so-called poster child to show how he was going to create job opportunites and bridge the pay gap to stop the mass exodus of 100 Kiwis per day that were leaving.

We've yet to see any evidence that the bridge is being mended. Yes, of course we still need some skilled Doctors, Nurses, Labourers and Tradies but the preference seems to be simply to import more of them from overseas and sell them a lifestyle prospect. We've still got 7.3% unemployed and among the youth (16 to 24 years), Maori and Pacific Islanders the rates are much higher at 13 to 15% - why are they not being incentivised or offered training schemes to get them into the skilled workforce of the future?
Old Nov 14th 2012, 9:28 am

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stephen Jones

No, actually it wouldn't. The kids coming with us both have Degrees and are currently studying for a Masters that will be completed before we arrive.

Hopefully this should stand them in good stead.

Steve
Ah, so you were trolling then?
Old Nov 14th 2012, 5:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ah, so you were trolling then?

No I wasn't trolling.

I was simply asking if the story I put a link to was representative of the experience of most young people in NZ.

The point is that I need a job offer to be able to come and live there. From research I have done and via communications with Job agencies I believe that this is quite likely.

However, that doesn't stop me worrying about the future prospects of work that will affect my own 'young people'.

I admit that my own comment about not being in a 'low socio-economic' group came across as being a little bombastic but it wasn't meant to be. It was simply a direct answer to the question I was asked.

S.
Old Nov 14th 2012, 8:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute

No, not for all. The ones with the good education will be very well paid because of skill shortages while the rest is left behind. Hence the ever increasing inequality in NZ.
Old Nov 16th 2012, 8:28 am
Banned

mikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to all

you have to ask yourself why is there a continued skills shortage in NZ? People have been moving here for decades and there is only a population of just over 4 million. The reason has to be that a great proportion of people that move to NZ are not happy with their lot and move back overseas.

It is human nature for people to move to places with what they percieve as greener grass but when you get to NZ you realise it is not all it's cracked up to be.
Old Nov 16th 2012, 9:36 am

waikatoguy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mikesurf
People have been moving here for decades and there is only a population of just over 4 million.
I thought you said you were living in France???

NZ's population hit 3 million somewhere around 1980 I think. It currently stands at just over 4,444,444. I would have thought that was quite a substantial growth over a relatively short period.

As far as Brit expats go, I was under the impression that a large percentage remain once they are here (by here I mean in NZ).
Old Nov 16th 2012, 10:32 am
Banned

mikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to all

[QUOTE=waikatoguy;10385550]I thought you said you were living in France???

Yes you're right sorry, just a habbit after living there so long I guess

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.