British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Fresh start, terribly excited (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/fresh-start-terribly-excited-718972/)

DerekZoolander May 30th 2011 7:08 pm

Fresh start, terribly excited

Hi all,

Have been lurking this evening and this lovely little site is an absolute goldmine of information, thoroughly helpful people and free cake*, so thought I'd join in if I may.

I'm at the early stages of my emigration. I don't know where I'm going, but I know I'm going. I'm selling up, ditching the job and .. well, everything, and upping sticks to NZ.

I look forward to getting to know you all a bit, and pillaging you for info and stories :)

I'm from Fife in Scotland, currently in Aberdeen, single (or will be), currently working in IT (and will probably have to come to an IT job), but keen to do random stuff once I've moved.

Time to start living my life :)

* I may have been lied to about the cake.

Am Loolah May 30th 2011 9:05 pm

Re: Fresh start, terribly excited

Welcome to BE!:thumbsup: Glad you are enjoying the site. I'd ask that you don't mention the free cake again as it's only the special new users that are party to that.;) We don't want to upset the others ...

How exciting for you to have made the brave decision to move. You may find, when you start researching jobs, that your area to live may be dictated to you by work opportunities. IT usually needs to centre around the larger cities I believe.

Happy posting!!

DerekZoolander May 30th 2011 9:35 pm

I'm happy to be flexible with regard to jobs, and where I end up, because I don't have any preference on location. Yet, anyway!

I like the idea of the south island for snow (boarding), but dislike it for the snow! Just come out of a -15 winter, need sun!

Thank you for the warm welcome.

PS, love your sig :)

Genesis May 31st 2011 12:08 am

Originally Posted by DerekZoolander (Post 9398022)
Hi all,

Have been lurking this evening and this lovely little site is an absolute goldmine of information, thoroughly helpful people and free cake*, so thought I'd join in if I may.

I'm at the early stages of my emigration. I don't know where I'm going, but I know I'm going. I'm selling up, ditching the job and .. well, everything, and upping sticks to NZ.

I look forward to getting to know you all a bit, and pillaging you for info and stories :)

I'm from Fife in Scotland, currently in Aberdeen, single (or will be), currently working in IT (and will probably have to come to an IT job), but keen to do random stuff once I've moved.

Where are you headed?

MattandJax May 31st 2011 12:49 am

Originally Posted by DerekZoolander (Post 9398287)
I'm happy to be flexible with regard to jobs, and where I end up, because I don't have any preference on location. Yet, anyway!

I like the idea of the south island for snow (boarding), but dislike it for the snow! Just come out of a -15 winter, need sun!

Thank you for the warm welcome.

PS, love your sig :)

we snow board in the North Island. live in sunny mild Auckland, and can drive down for weekends away to the snow. best of both worlds!

JenR May 31st 2011 5:18 am

Hi all,
but keen to do random stuff once I've moved.

I can recommend random stuff - since coming to NZ I've added alpaca farming, sheep mustering, cattle herding, pear packing and campsite cleaning to my CV!

Good luck with all the planning!

Jen x

RobDon May 31st 2011 5:37 am

Hello & Welcome from us too. :thumbup:

DerekZoolander May 31st 2011 5:39 am

Originally Posted by Genesis (Post 9398545)
Where are you headed?

I really don't know yet. :)

Woodpigeon May 31st 2011 6:18 am

*sigh* looks like I'll have to go baking again - at least he didn't find the secret cookie stash ;)

Hiya - you know that you don't have to live where the snow is don't you? You can live on the coast in the SI and drive maybe 4 hours max to the snow fields for the weekends :thumbsup:

kaihoe Jun 1st 2011 5:29 am

I want Cake:lol::lol:

scrubbedexpat094 Jun 1st 2011 11:38 pm

Hi all,

Kia ora & welcome to our friendly NZ forum. Good luck with all your plans. Happy posting :thumbsup: