Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Forwarding Address

Forwarding Address

Old Jul 24th 2011, 3:38 pm
Forum Regular

Reylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to all
Default Forwarding Address

I now this may seem a daft question - but I'll ask it anyway! When we move to NZ we won't have an address straight away (probably be in a motel while we look for a rental). What do people do in this situation with regard to change of addresses to banks, DVLA etc etc? Also, do I need to use a family memebers address in the UK for a little while for 'normal' post? It's coming up to our time to go so expect lots of similar questions!
Old Jul 24th 2011, 5:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

florabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Forwarding Address

Hi, I read somewhere recently that you can easily get a NZ version of a "PO Box no." I think you apply for it and the Post Office nearest to where you will live. Sorry this a little vague but I'm sure someone more learned will be along soon
Old Jul 25th 2011, 11:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Luckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by florabundi
Hi, I read somewhere recently that you can easily get a NZ version of a "PO Box no." I think you apply for it and the Post Office nearest to where you will live.
Yup as Flora suggests you can rent a Post Office Box

It is what we did and it is really easy just take ID to the local Post office and you pay an annual fee to rent one (not sure how much of the top of my head! sorry ), we have continued to rent ours as we knew we would probably move around Napier and the mail doesn't get wet in the rain like it does in the outdoor post box......soggy cards are very hard to read!

Hope that helps
Old Jul 25th 2011, 11:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Luckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of light

sorry also forgot to say that we had our mail in the UK diverted to a relatives house (don't you just love mums and dad's!!) till we rented the PO box and then they sent it over
Old Jul 25th 2011, 12:21 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

PO box costs about $140 a year but some post shops have a waiting list.
you can redirect in the UK and renew for a couple of years and pay more to redirect overseas:
http://www2.royalmail.com/delivery/i...l/redirections
most banks, etc are OK to post statements to NZ - well ours are (HSBC)
we also get dividends paid into UK accounts
online banking, etc makes life far easier
you get more of a problem with relatives who post UK banknotes over (we've had a few for the kids) or clients who send cheques in sterling - 28 working days for ASB to clear those cheques!