Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Is this forum the most negative on the web?

View Poll Results: Is this forum the most negative on the web?
Yes – but it’s justified and NZ is cr.ap
16.67%
Yes – but that’s because it’s stereotypical brits that are posting
50.00%
No – it’s a great forum full of useful information, links and helpful people.
25.00%
No – British expats returning home forum is worse
8.33%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Is this forum the most negative on the web?

Old Nov 29th 2005, 8:13 pm
Forum Regular

melting pot is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Is this forum the most negative on the web?

Originally Posted by hubbard
I think the NZ forum is the most negative because more immigrants are disappointed with their 'NZ dream' than anywhere else. The country is oversold, people's expectations are too high. The Kiwi dream is not how most live. Most live near a city for work purposes, and none of the cities are that brilliant or magnificent when compared to other world cities (Rome, Geneva, Vancouver, Sydney - I could go on). Most suffer in traffic because of limited public transport. Most live in a house that has been subdivided and so their view is of another house. Most end up shopping in Pak n Sav and cutting food coupons out in the newspapers to ensure making ends meet. Books and overseas travel become a luxury most can not afford. Yes there is more sunshine but there is also a lot more rain. Houses (particularly rentals) are cold and damp. This for so many ends up the Kiwi dream. Yes you can drive to Bay of Islands and other scenic places for a weekend away - but you can't live there unless you are a millionaire and don't need to work.

I am 100% sure this is why so many Kiwis live overseas, and so many migrants move onto Australia. You can look up the stats for these numbers and it is a shocker but all this people have left because the dream does not stack up. That is why the NZ gov had to lower the points so much - to attract anyone to come to NZ.

I know this isn't what native kiwis want to read and I think living there all your life probably makes a huge difference - but for alot of new migrants the scenario I have written may start as the Kiwi Dream but it soon becomes the Kiwi Nightmare.

Thats a fair post.....I agree....but wont vote cause the option I want isnt available
Old Nov 29th 2005, 9:15 pm
turkeytickler

Originally Posted by kelvynd
I acknowledge there may be some over-protective kiwi's.....but by and large they're not whinging....except for whinging about the whingers....which I guess is what i'm doing.

A stereotypical brit? heard the phrase whinging pom?
No offence meant to any brits here but i'm sure they all agree that this is their sterotype is it not....

you need to visit them in london - you will be surprised... whinging kiwis more like

Last edited by turkeytickler; Nov 29th 2005 at 9:22 pm.

Old Nov 29th 2005, 9:21 pm
turkeytickler

Originally Posted by hubbard
I think the NZ forum is the most negative because more immigrants are disappointed with their 'NZ dream' than anywhere else. The country is oversold, people's expectations are too high. The Kiwi dream is not how most live. Most live near a city for work purposes, and none of the cities are that brilliant or magnificent when compared to other world cities (Rome, Geneva, Vancouver, Sydney - I could go on). Most suffer in traffic because of limited public transport. Most live in a house that has been subdivided and so their view is of another house. Most end up shopping in Pak n Sav and cutting food coupons out in the newspapers to ensure making ends meet. Books and overseas travel become a luxury most can not afford. Yes there is more sunshine but there is also a lot more rain. Houses (particularly rentals) are cold and damp. This for so many ends up the Kiwi dream. Yes you can drive to Bay of Islands and other scenic places for a weekend away - but you can't live there unless you are a millionaire and don't need to work.

I am 100% sure this is why so many Kiwis live overseas, and so many migrants move onto Australia. You can look up the stats for these numbers and it is a shocker but all this people have left because the dream does not stack up. That is why the NZ gov had to lower the points so much - to attract anyone to come to NZ.

I know this isn't what native kiwis want to read and I think living there all your life probably makes a huge difference - but for alot of new migrants the scenario I have written may start as the Kiwi Dream but it soon becomes the Kiwi Nightmare.
I would add to that - for those that DO have the established base of a decent house and maybe a bach somewhere.... most kiwis only get 15 days a year holiday to enjoy the "lifestyle"

Old Nov 29th 2005, 9:23 pm
turkeytickler

Originally Posted by melting pot
Thats a fair post.....I agree....but wont vote cause the option I want isnt available
come on - what was it??

Old Nov 29th 2005, 9:27 pm
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by turkeytickler
I would add to that - for those that DO have the established base of a decent house and maybe a bach somewhere.... most kiwis only get 15 days a year holiday to enjoy the "lifestyle"
Now you KNOW that that is changing don't you? 20 days minimum from next year (or is it 2007?)
Old Nov 29th 2005, 9:45 pm
Isle of Wight Chick

silvermuse has a brilliant futuresilvermuse has a brilliant futuresilvermuse has a brilliant futuresilvermuse has a brilliant futuresilvermuse has a brilliant futuresilvermuse has a brilliant future

i agree with u there hubbard. nz is made out to be this place of all hope and glory. unfortunately, that is a major disappointment when u get here. nz is nothing like its made out to be and that why is ppl find it hard to resist complaining about it. tbh, ppl are duped into coming here, believing this is the kingdom of heaven itself. why are there 14,000 kiwis leaving their own country every week? we arent the only ones complaining!
Old Nov 29th 2005, 10:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Blimey....14000 leave NZ per week!

Originally Posted by silvermuse
i agree with u there hubbard. nz is made out to be this place of all hope and glory. unfortunately, that is a major disappointment when u get here. nz is nothing like its made out to be and that why is ppl find it hard to resist complaining about it. tbh, ppl are duped into coming here, believing this is the kingdom of heaven itself. why are there 14,000 kiwis leaving their own country every week? we arent the only ones complaining!
14000 per week...........really!

I never knew it was as much as that!

What's your reference source as I would like to know more!
Old Nov 29th 2005, 10:28 pm
turkeytickler

Originally Posted by Batty
Now you KNOW that that is changing don't you? 20 days minimum from next year (or is it 2007?)
about time.... what about paternity rights?

Old Nov 29th 2005, 10:31 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I thought the figure put on Kiwis to just Oz was 600 a week.
Old Nov 29th 2005, 10:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Batty

hey i get 6 weeks off as a nurse which is kewl,
Old Nov 29th 2005, 10:32 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by silvermuse
How long have you been here silvermuse?
Do your mum and dad feel the same way about NZ, I have an eighteen year old son and I really feel for him sometimes cos I told him it was going to be better for us all here and to be honest it isn't.
The guilt I feel as a parent is unbearable at times.
Old Nov 29th 2005, 10:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Apollo10
I thought the figure put on Kiwis to just Oz was 600 a week.
So where do the other 13,400 per week go????????

Anyone got any ideas????????
Old Nov 29th 2005, 10:36 pm
Forum Regular

tottefan has a brilliant futuretottefan has a brilliant futuretottefan has a brilliant futuretottefan has a brilliant futuretottefan has a brilliant futuretottefan has a brilliant future

I don't personally see a problem with negativity if it's constructive. Everyone should be entitled to their own views, but I think it is important to express them in a tactful way. Some people are also guilty of making crude generalisations based on their own personal experiences.

tottefan.
Old Nov 29th 2005, 10:40 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

3 paid weeks is the norm. It will increase to 4 from the 1st April 2007.
Firms often have employees use part of their entitlement at Christmas , whether they wish to or not . Kiwis like a Christmas shut-down period. Many take two weeks then.
Unpaid leave seems to be better accepted here. Same for sabbaticals.
Old Nov 29th 2005, 10:41 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nice Guy
So where do the other 13,400 per week go????????

Anyone got any ideas????????
Perhaps the UK

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.