Football

Old Feb 21st 2009, 9:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Perry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond repute
Default Football

Is football at all popular in NZ or does Rugby rule?
Old Feb 21st 2009, 11:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Football

There are plenty of soccer clubs and our boys played when they were little. However it's a minor sport compared to rugby, in terms of supporters. I don't follow either game but I always know when there is a local rugby game on because I get asked who I support several times a day.

Most sports are minor in this country compared to rugby, but that doesn't mean they aren't popular, so if football is your thing go for it.
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 2:03 am
Just Joined

Wholehog is just really niceWholehog is just really niceWholehog is just really niceWholehog is just really niceWholehog is just really niceWholehog is just really niceWholehog is just really niceWholehog is just really nice

Originally Posted by kiwinow
There are plenty of soccer clubs and our boys played when they were little. However it's a minor sport compared to rugby, in terms of supporters. I don't follow either game but I always know when there is a local rugby game on because I get asked who I support several times a day.

Most sports are minor in this country compared to rugby, but that doesn't mean they aren't popular, so if football is your thing go for it.
Its popular in Wellington with the Phoenix team,
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 3:09 am
Forum Regular

MattH is just really niceMattH is just really niceMattH is just really niceMattH is just really niceMattH is just really niceMattH is just really niceMattH is just really niceMattH is just really nice

Football is very popular - IIRC more kids play football officially here than in the UK (per capita of course). Rugby still king as far as senior teams go, but there still plenty of choice if you want to play / or just spectate...
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 6:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

I saw the stats recently and the number of soccer player participants in nz wasnt that far behind rugby, and its probably catching up.

I was surprised when I came here at the football, there is loads of good youth and club football.

Obviously the size of NZ means the standard at the pro and semi pro level isnt that high compared to UK.

But even the international team have probably as much chance as England of making it to the next World Cup

Here in Wellington, the Phoenix are setting new ground in competing in the Australian league and not making a bad fist of it considering.

I would say soccer is on the up and rugby may be plateauing, but the next Rugby World Cup may decided how that issue progresses.
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 6:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond repute

Depends on the context you are talking about. At junior level it is the biggest participation sport for under 13's, above this rugby and other sports kick in. The facilities however are amazing compared to most places in the UK at amateur level.

At senior level football is a poor relation, it receives very little funding and getting it to a higher level is going to take a lot.

The funding or lack goes through all ages though, which is why it is so much more expensive than sports like rugby.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 2:37 am
Forum Regular

bro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud of

In wellington there are roughly 12 divisions of senior team excluding the masters leagues it is a very popular sport and has a great social scene, there are fewer teams in Christchurch but still a great social scene.

Football is on the rise and provided the standard rises it will be very popular just look at the impact the Phoenix vs LA Galaxy had.
Old Feb 27th 2009, 9:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Perry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond repute

Is football shown on TV in NZ at all?
Old Feb 27th 2009, 9:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Perry Groves
Is football shown on TV in NZ at all?
You would have to have SKY TV.

But there you will get live and recorded premiership, other European games, live A-League football (all the matches) etc

The Womens u17 World Cup was broadcast live (all games) this year.

Plenty of football really.
Old Feb 28th 2009, 10:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

ukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really nice

I played a season of 11 a side in NZ thinking i would be the dogs nads having played at semi pro level in the UK - how wrong i was. The standard was excellent, i remember one game the opposition had a young kid with no shin pads and normal trainers who ran rings around us for the whole game.
Old Mar 1st 2009, 6:23 pm
Forum Regular

karron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nice

just curious but who did you play for or where ?
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 3:18 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

As parents mollycoddle their kids more these days and the standards in society decline you will find that soccer is becoming more popular than it used to be.
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 6:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sr71
As parents mollycoddle their kids more these days and the standards in society decline you will find that soccer is becoming more popular than it used to be.
What???????????????????
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 6:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, a rather strange comment.
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 7:22 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Not strange at all. It was a comment that parents wrap their kids in cotton wool more these days and rugby is seen as a rougher sport. Secondly it was a comment on the fact that rugby is more of a high class game.

Did you leave your senses of humour in the UK, it's like having to explain jokes to other Kiwis.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.