British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Food you miss (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/food-you-miss-836442/)

Justcol Jun 15th 2014 10:09 am

Re: Food you miss

Proper bacon

nothing else, just proper bacon !!

Beaverstate Jun 15th 2014 10:11 am

Originally Posted by Justcol (Post 11302505)
Proper bacon

Visit a butcher, hogs are the same worldwide.

scrubbedexpat094 Jun 15th 2014 10:28 am

Originally Posted by PHONEJUNKY (Post 11302347)
My local New World sells Wensleydale

Where's that, in Devonport ? You'd think the New World in Albany would have it, it used to as did the one in Orewa but then they stopped a few years back. :thumbdown:

scrubbedexpat094 Jun 15th 2014 10:28 am

Originally Posted by Beaverstate (Post 11302514)
Visit a butcher, hogs are the same worldwide.

You'd think so but the Kiwis manage to ruin it somehow.

Pom_Chch Jun 15th 2014 10:30 am

Originally Posted by Justcol (Post 11302505)
Proper bacon

Try Hellers smoked manuka middle bacon. Can't guarantee it's the same price as the UK but it's very good. Also, the Grub Hub in Woodend do awesome bacon sarnies. Fresh baked bread, proper bacon and HP brown sauce - proper treat especially after a few the night before :thumbup:

scrubbedexpat094 Jun 15th 2014 10:35 am

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch (Post 11302542)
Try Hellers smoked manuka middle bacon. Can't guarantee it's the same price as the UK but it's very good. Also, the Grub Hub in Woodend do awesome bacon sarnies. Fresh baked bread, proper bacon ad HP brown sauce - proper treat especially after a few the night before :thumbup:

Yuck! Want my bacon unsmoked and from free range piggies.

Pom_Chch Jun 15th 2014 10:36 am

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix (Post 11302548)
Yuck! Want my bacon unsmoked and from free range piggies.

How the other half live ay! :lol:

Beaverstate Jun 15th 2014 10:36 am

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix (Post 11302538)
You'd think so but the Kiwis manage to ruin it somehow.

I'll have to take your word for it.

Butchers around here can deal with cattle, hogs, sheep, deer, elk, boar, turkey, chicken, bear. pheasant etc... most anything but dog.

scrubbedexpat094 Jun 15th 2014 10:38 am

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch (Post 11302550)
How the other half live ay! :lol:

I has me principles, so it's free range eggs and chicken in our house only.:p:lol:

Snap Shot Jun 16th 2014 1:41 am

I buy shortcut bacon from the deli at PakNSave. (I wouldn't get much else from the deli at PakNSave.) I get eight slices for less than five dollars. It's Hellers brand and is about as good as it gets, IMO, for NZ bacon. I don't know why it is cheaper than Hellers pre-packaged. Personally speaking, I shouldn't have to go chasing all over town just to buy bacon !

PHONEJUNKY Jun 16th 2014 2:59 am

I got my Branston pickle from UK Groce in Devenport and yes the Cheese is from New World in Devenport and believe it or not Countdowns own value middle bacon is as good or near as to British Middle bacon in my view with plenty of years eating the stuff in Truckstops.

http://www.bramptins.co.nz/search/?v...Original++520g

jmh Jun 16th 2014 3:47 am

As I said in another thread, Branston's pickle is sold at Countdown. When I looked it cost no more than the other brands on the shelf.

sazzle1979 Jun 16th 2014 4:16 am

Oh I miss Marks and Spencers Hummous and their yummy Moussakka.... oh and their pizzas... damn it now i am drooling on my key board!

Bo-Jangles Jun 16th 2014 8:09 am

Originally Posted by jmh (Post 11303288)
As I said in another thread, Branston's pickle is sold at Countdown. When I looked it cost no more than the other brands on the shelf.

Agreed, all supermarkets I know just have it in the mainstream along with all the other chutney and pickles - people certainly shouldn't be needing to go out of their way to find it.

TommyLuck Jun 16th 2014 11:48 pm

Rather than missing particular foods, I miss a certain few restaurants from London.