British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Food you miss (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/food-you-miss-836442/)

PHONEJUNKY Jun 14th 2014 12:43 am

Food you miss

Probably been done before but who cares i miss this food.

I really want a big 1" thick big slab of GAMMON with pineapple and fried egg with unhealthy chips but cant get Gammon anywhere. WHY NOT?

I have now got some Mayflower Chinese curry powder so i can make proper Chinese curry sauce.

What food do you miss?
Post foods you have found in NZ that people my want.

Droidling Jun 14th 2014 1:52 am

Re: Food you miss

Good luck. It will possibly make you miserable !!

jmh Jun 14th 2014 4:51 am

Taramasolata - I was able to get it in Sydney but not here, although I haven't looked in any posh areas (since I live in South Auckland - lol). Anyone found any?

Sparkleydiva Jun 14th 2014 5:57 am

Lemon and coriander hummus from good old Marks & Spencer...

Bo-Jangles Jun 14th 2014 6:55 am

Originally Posted by PHONEJUNKY (Post 11301387)
I really want a big 1" thick big slab of GAMMON with pineapple and fried egg with unhealthy chips but cant get Gammon anywhere. WHY NOT?

Get thyself up to Nosh on Constellation Drive - they sometimes have have Pokeno Gammon Steak

Also I bring glad tidings for you Miss JMH for Nosh also have Taramasalata.

They have lots of other Waitrose yumminess and 'Baby Bottom Butter' :thumbsup: you may find you need a second mortgage to get out of the door but it's all there if you want it.

jmh Jun 14th 2014 8:15 am

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles (Post 11301553)
Get thyself up to Nosh on Constellation Drive - they sometimes have have Pokeno Gammon Steak

Also I bring glad tidings for you Miss JMH for Nosh also have Taramasalata.

They have lots of other Waitrose yumminess and 'Baby Bottom Butter' :thumbsup: you may find you need a second mortgage to get out of the door but it's all there if you want it.

Brill- thanks. Worth a trip I think.

scrubbedexpat094 Jun 14th 2014 10:09 am

I could murder a large chunk of Wensleydale right now. It's the only cheese I like. Ate quite a lot whilst in England in April and hoped that would assuage my longing for it for a good while but no, I'm craving it.

They sell it at Farro's but haven't been down that way since I came back and even though it's from Hawes it doesn't seem to travel that well. Never mind.

At least I can get double cream now after 7 years of asking.
Just started to make my own smoked salmon pate as the stuff in the shops is not the greatest.

PHONEJUNKY Jun 15th 2014 6:05 am

1 Attachment(s)
My local New World sells Wensleydale

lisamct Jun 15th 2014 6:20 am

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles (Post 11301553)

There's also a Pokeno butcher shop on Mt Eden Rdm they often have them too.

barnsleymat Jun 15th 2014 9:24 am

The massive amount of Vegetarian foods available in the big supermarkets back home, there's very little here and what there is is massively overpriced.

Linda McCartney I miss you.

barnsleymat Jun 15th 2014 9:25 am

The massive amount of Vegetarian foods available in the big supermarkets back home, there's very little here and what there is is massively overpriced.

Pom_Chch Jun 15th 2014 9:32 am

I'm partial to a bit of Branston Pickle for cheese and pickle sarnies. I asked for some for my last birthday. Apparently I have been dubbed "low maintenance" every since :D

Pom_Chch Jun 15th 2014 9:33 am

I'm partial to a bit of Branston Pickle for cheese and pickle sarnies. I asked for some for my last birthday. Apparently I have been dubbed "low maintenance" ever since :D

TheCockneyKiwi Jun 15th 2014 9:44 am

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch (Post 11302464)
I'm partial to a bit of Branston Pickle for cheese and pickle sarnies. I asked for some for my last birthday. Apparently I have been dubbed "low maintenance" ever since :D

Those in Christchurch, Get yourself down to the English stall at Riccarton Sunday market and you will be sweet as for condiments such as branston pickle, malt vinegar etc.

I also stock up on Jaffa cakes and Hobnobs oh... and pickled onion monster munch.

I wouldnt say that I miss anything that bad but pick these up when there!;)

Bo-Jangles Jun 15th 2014 9:44 am

Seems to be an echo in her with lots of double posts. :lol:

Originally Posted by barnsleymat (Post 11302458)

Ooh I have got good news for you too, I have seen some frozen Linda McCartney stuff in New World - I had some rather lovely Cheese Leek and Onion Plaits.

List of stockists here:

Stockists | Linda McCartney Foods NZ