Food question

Old Jul 15th 2014, 8:52 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Food question

Hand luggage might be your only chance of bringing food over. To be honest, you will have far to much to consider that will be more important than favourite foods. Such as passports, electronic games, favourite toys, favourite pyjamas etc etc

The things I buy from an expat shop (either online from Bramtins or visit the shop, 'Tastes of the UK' in Palmerston North)

Are:

Sage and Onion Paxo (local dried stuffing tastes horrible)
Sarsons Malt Vinegar (the local malt vinegar isn't very nice)
Cadburys Bourneville Cocoa (the Cadbury's Bourneville Cocoa here is yuck)
Hartleys Old English marmalade (the local marmalade is far to sweet)
Tetley Tea bags (that's personal taste, but I have it at home....lovely)
Birds Custard Powder - instant low fat for preference (NZ custard isn't nice). I have been know to make my own custard from powder whilst boiling milk on the stove, yeah, all that. It reminds of when my mum or gran used to make it.

I remember when the above was simply groceries. Oh well.

Also, you can get Nescafe coffee but they sell it in in pouches not jars. Unless you buy a small jar. Just a bit more weirdness you'll find out here. I buy several large jars, i.e. 400g when it's on offer at, 'The Warehouse' it's the NZ version of all the non-food departments of Tesco. I also go to a bulk wholesaler called, 'Uncle Bill's' to buy Nescafe in the same size jars if, 'The Warehouse' isn't selling them when I need them. It's not as if my husband gets through them that quick, either !

You can buy Marmite in NZ. If you want to, that is. It's marketed as, 'My Mate' in identical jars. My sister still insists on sending me Marmite for birthday or Christmas though.

Last edited by Snap Shot; Jul 15th 2014 at 9:01 am. Reason: custard
Old Jul 15th 2014, 10:00 am
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Kellogs cereal is available in the Supermarket - we only had own brand in UK so don't bother here. You adjust really quickly. I shop much the same as in uk - if it's not on offer I don't buy it!! Overly excited that Countdown has an offer on 18 loo rolls for $3 tomorrow!!!!
Old Jul 15th 2014, 12:41 pm
Just Joined

solesister has much to be proud ofsolesister has much to be proud ofsolesister has much to be proud ofsolesister has much to be proud ofsolesister has much to be proud ofsolesister has much to be proud ofsolesister has much to be proud ofsolesister has much to be proud ofsolesister has much to be proud ofsolesister has much to be proud ofsolesister has much to be proud of

Cheers folks...I did email PSS removals re the food thing but they never replied
ah well...a few treats in a suitcase then and a good explore at countdown lol. X
Old Jul 15th 2014, 4:44 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

That's probably best unless it's something really unusual.

I found that there wasn't really anything I missed enough to search for it in the British shops. I don't like Marmite, apparently NZ marmite is not the same.
Most treats like chocolate bars are the same.
The only thing I can think of that I would like to find in your average supermarket is Rowntrees fruit pastilles and decent cheese
Old Jul 15th 2014, 5:17 pm
Just Joined

solesister has much to be proud ofsolesister has much to be proud ofsolesister has much to be proud ofsolesister has much to be proud ofsolesister has much to be proud ofsolesister has much to be proud ofsolesister has much to be proud ofsolesister has much to be proud ofsolesister has much to be proud ofsolesister has much to be proud ofsolesister has much to be proud of

I am a massive cheese lover. Especially a great mature cheddar.
Old Jul 15th 2014, 5:21 pm
Just Joined

Ooh...and a nice crumbly cheshire or wendsleydale. Hmmmm I tried some of the Kapiti cheese when I visited....yummy...but pricey.
Old Jul 15th 2014, 5:23 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by solesister

With you there! Though I do find it difficult to find in NZ. I had a cheese frenzy on my return to the UK at Xmas...
[however I am currently living somewhere where decent cheese is even harder to find than in NZ]
Back to NZ soon!
Old Jul 15th 2014, 5:47 pm
Just Joined

Ooh where?
Old Jul 15th 2014, 7:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond repute

I was told food was a no no. Got rid of all my spices etc etc but then met several people who brought it all over. Put in a box and shippers didn't notice!! Cost me a small fortune replacing it all
Old Jul 15th 2014, 8:02 pm
Forum Regular

Blade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by solesister
If/When you come over and you find a nice mature cheddar at a reasonable price, please let me know

On a rare occasion, i'll buy signature range cheddar (red and black packaged one) but only when they have it on offer - $6.99 for a kg of it. Usually it's $9.99 as they price it one dollar more than the others

I visited Taste of Provence in Somerfield to see if they had any cheese but they don't. I do have the ingredients on how to make a few French cheeses (love my French cheese) but these sort of things are not easy to do when you have little ones causing mayhem all the time.
Old Jul 15th 2014, 11:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

ellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond repute

I took all our spices, and also some jams and pickles (homemade) and they came over fine, plus a few other bits and bobs that I couldn't bear to throw out, but put them all in a box myself and labelled it 'food'. Customs never even bothered looking.
Old Jul 16th 2014, 7:39 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ellenarosemary
I took all our spices, and also some jams and pickles (homemade) and they came over fine, plus a few other bits and bobs that I couldn't bear to throw out, but put them all in a box myself and labelled it 'food'. Customs never even bothered looking.

Who did you ship with?
Old Jul 16th 2014, 9:27 am
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mark Smith
PSS wouldn't let us put sealed/dried foodstuffs into our container. Taking things in our luggage was a different matter.
They packed our toast still in the toaster

I think its best for the OP to go cold turkey

Kids are only fussy eaters when you let them, and tough I Know but it makes it far easier in the long term.

"You get a choice, this or starve"
Old Jul 16th 2014, 9:59 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Kids have short memories - by the time the food has been shipped here they will have picked up some new favourites. Maybe bring your own favourites instead - you might need them more than they do!!
Old Jul 17th 2014, 1:45 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RedDragon2008
They packed our toast still in the toaster

(The worst one I read on here about what packers pack is the cat's litter tray with the stink still in it Yet still there's all the to-ing and fro-ing about what can and/or can't be packed)

Last edited by Snap Shot; Jul 17th 2014 at 1:46 am. Reason: grammar

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.