Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Food Bill - Illegal to grow your own veggies?

Food Bill - Illegal to grow your own veggies?

Old Nov 26th 2011, 12:23 am

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute
Default Food Bill - Illegal to grow your own veggies?

Heard a discussion on the radio regarding this bill, which has been enacted in the US and the WTO is pressuring governments globally to join the band wagon.

Taken from the website, http://nzfoodsecurity.org/ ,setup to oppose this bill, so take some of these points with a pinch of salt! But I believe it is serious enough to warrant opposition.

- It turns a human right (to grow food and share it) into a government-authorised privilege that can be summarily revoked.

- It makes it illegal to distribute “food” without authorisation, and it defines “food” in such a way that it includes nutrients, seeds, natural medicines, essential minerals and drinks (including water).

- By controlling seeds, the bill takes the power to grow food away from the public and puts it in the hands of seed companies. That power may be abused.

- The bill will push up mainstream food prices by subjecting producers to red tape and registration costs. Food prices are already rising due to increased energy costs and commodity speculation, while effective disposable incomes are falling.

- Growing food for distribution must be authorised, even for “cottage industries”, and such authorisation can be denied.

- Under the Food Bill, Police acting as Food Safety Officers can raid premises without a warrant, using all equipment they deem necessary – including guns (Clause 265 – 1).

- Members of the private sector can also be Food Safety Officers, as at Clause 243. So Monsanto employees can raid premises – including marae – backed up by armed police.

- The Bill gives Food Safety Officers immunity from criminal and civil prosection.

- The Government has created this bill to keep in line with its World Trade Organisation obligations under an international scheme called Codex Alimentarius (“Food Book”). So it has to pass this bill in one form or another.

- There are problems with Codex also. Codex will place severe restrictions on the content of vitamins, minerals and therapeutic compounds in food, drinks and supplements etc.
Old Nov 26th 2011, 12:26 am

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Food Bill - Illegal to grow your own veggies?

Link to petition

http://www.petitiononline.co.nz/peti...ill-160-2/1301
Old Nov 26th 2011, 1:48 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

I belong to several health forums which have American members and this is a serious problem. Their right to choose what they eat is being eroded on a daily basis. In some schools parents are told what to put in their children's lunch boxes. In many states raw milk and unpasteurised cheeses are illegal. In a recent court case a judge decreed:

“no, Plaintiffs do not have a fundamental right to own and use a dairy cow or a dairy herd;”
“no, Plaintiffs do not have a fundamental right to consume the milk from their own cow;”

“no, Plaintiffs do not have a fundamental right to produce and consume the foods of their choice…”

(source)
Here's report about an armed raid by the FDA on a place selling raw milk:

http://youtu.be/ioN0ehlyyXI

What's behind this movement to control our food? Big business. There is a lot of money to be made getting us to eat processed food over real food.
Old Nov 26th 2011, 2:06 am
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

The Codex Alimentarius has been around for decades, in Britain this is nothing new and my understanding is that it's intended to be applied to international trade in food materials as well as local production.

Each country will interpret it in its own way and there should be a high degree of consultation with all interested parties, however New Zealand has a reputation for its nanny knows best approach and will introduce legislation as it sees fit, probably over egging the pudding if you'll forgive the pun.

You can read about how Britain deals with it if you're interested

http://www.food.gov.uk/foodindustry/...n/Codexbranch/
Old Nov 26th 2011, 2:49 am

Originally Posted by jmh
Here's report about an armed raid by the FDA on a place selling raw milk:

http://youtu.be/ioN0ehlyyXI

What's behind this movement to control our food? Big business. There is a lot of money to be made getting us to eat processed food over real food.
Holy crap! Unbelievable. Watch the video everyone.

We have dreams of a lifestyle block, so will pay particular attention to how this bill progresses.
Old Nov 26th 2011, 3:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jmh
In many states raw milk and unpasteurised cheeses are illegal.
You have to laugh, the NZ food police only just fairly recently bowed to pressure to get the ban on unpasteurised cheeses lifted. What with all the bio-security issues, there'll be lot more things that are essentially banned in NZ, besides a few rotten smelly old cheeses.
Old Nov 26th 2011, 1:53 pm
Forum Regular

_0v0_ has a brilliant future_0v0_ has a brilliant future_0v0_ has a brilliant future_0v0_ has a brilliant future_0v0_ has a brilliant future_0v0_ has a brilliant future_0v0_ has a brilliant future_0v0_ has a brilliant future

Some of the replies are overstating the case a bit.

The Food Bill (which incidentially can be read at www.legislation.govt.nz) appears only to people in the business of selling foodstuffs. I'd have thought regulation of sellers of foodstuffs was quite a good thing in itself.

There certainly appears to be no prohibition on growing one's own veggies or providing them to friends or putting them in your child's lunch box, or selling them at a one-off event such as a church bazaar.

What's the problem?

PS: catchafire: where did you hear the programme? I'd like to look it up.

Last edited by _0v0_; Nov 26th 2011 at 1:54 pm. Reason: (added question about radio programme)
Old Nov 26th 2011, 8:43 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron’s cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.” — C.S. Lewis.
Maybe the powers that be do know better than us. After all, we all know that a low fat diet is good for us don't we? Well, what if it's all been a big fat lie?

Thirty years later, America has become weirdly polarized on the subject of weight. On the one hand, we've been told with almost religious certainty by everyone from the surgeon general on down, and we have come to believe with almost religious certainty, that obesity is caused by the excessive consumption of fat, and that if we eat less fat we will lose weight and live longer. ......

Willett is the de facto spokesman of the longest-running, most comprehensive diet and health studies ever performed, which have already cost upward of $100 million and include data on nearly 300,000 individuals. Those data, says Willett, clearly contradict the low-fat-is-good-health message ''and the idea that all fat is bad for you; the exclusive focus on adverse effects of fat may have contributed to the obesity epidemic.''

They say that low-fat weight-loss diets have proved in clinical trials and real life to be dismal failures, and that on top of it all, the percentage of fat in the American diet has been decreasing for two decades. Our cholesterol levels have been declining, and we have been smoking less, and yet the incidence of heart disease has not declined as would be expected.
Despite a paucity of evidence that fat generally and saturated fat specifically cause any health problems, there are calls for both the British and NZ governments to follow the example of Denmark and consider a 'fat tax' to encourage us to consume less fat. It will be interesting to compare how the Swedes do in years to come.

Don't get me wrong, I want the kid assembling my Big Mac to wash his hands first. But I don't want my food choices restricted on the basis of flawed science and lobbying by food processing companies.
Old Nov 26th 2011, 8:59 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

Not sure what the law is here. Perhaps someone can enlighten me.

Children's families fined $500 for operating illegal lemonade stand

In the UK, even though it is still legal to sell a home made cake, your council may still ban it:

The question about whether sales would be restricted was raised after a school banned the sale of home made cakes because of advice from a local council.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/3874425.stm
Old Nov 26th 2011, 9:33 pm
Forum Regular

_0v0_ has a brilliant future_0v0_ has a brilliant future_0v0_ has a brilliant future_0v0_ has a brilliant future_0v0_ has a brilliant future_0v0_ has a brilliant future_0v0_ has a brilliant future_0v0_ has a brilliant future

jmh,

Councils do have the power to make bylaws for the purpose of "protecting, promoting, and maintaining public health and safety", and I expect that would extend to regulating cake stalls. I don't know if any councils have actually done this. Mine hasn't.

Banning cake sales: a sure way to ensure Winston Peters got elected PM.

BTW, it took me somewhat under a minute to find a British Medical Journal abstract linking trans fats to heart disease.
Old Nov 26th 2011, 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by _0v0_

PS: catchafire: where did you hear the programme? I'd like to look it up.
It was Radio NZ, Jim Moora(?) last week Wednesday.

I understand some of the points are a very extreme interpretations, but just look at some examples in the US of what is happening and you get the feeling that peoples right to eat or produce what they want is being eroded by big business.
Old Nov 26th 2011, 9:46 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

Jesus! What sort of a country is this where a man can't give the people next door a pumpkin?

"In the middle of the night...I will come in disguise with a basket and tap three times followed by a louder bang. I will then hand you the basket and disspear into the night". Will my house be audited to make sure all my fruit and veg has receipts? Silly.

And all because the U.S. is worried about it's food supply collapsing if the price of oil goes up.
Old Nov 26th 2011, 9:52 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

BTW, it took me somewhat under a minute to find a British Medical Journal abstract linking trans fats to heart disease.
Trans fats are not the same as saturated fats. There is indeed good research demonstrating health problems with trans fats which is why they should not be included in margarine. In fact, some 'experts' play on the fact that people confuse the two. You will often hear the phrase 'saturated fat and trans fat' when in fact the two are very different. There is no evidence that saturated fat causes heart disease, diabetes or obesity, although if you trawl the internet you will find several million references stating otherwise. You will also find a lot references claiming that people with RH- blood types are descended from aliens. When reading these references, follow the links to the studies and read them, as I have. The results are very surprising.

Last edited by jmh; Nov 26th 2011 at 10:00 pm.
Old Nov 26th 2011, 9:57 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh,

Councils do have the power to make bylaws for the purpose of "protecting, promoting, and maintaining public health and safety", and I expect that would extend to regulating cake stalls. I don't know if any councils have actually done this. Mine hasn't.
A primary school I know in Surrey banned the sale of home made cakes at their fair. I don't know if this was a council directive or just over cautiousness on behalf of the principal. I know Surrey CC quite well so they probably did leave it to the discretion of the principal. Point being, it may not be illegal but your choices are still being eroded by the belief that home made food is inferior to shop bought food-like products. The mums were only allowed to sell food still in its wrapper. Real food doesn't come in a wrapper.

Last edited by jmh; Nov 26th 2011 at 10:02 pm.
Old Nov 26th 2011, 10:24 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Charismatic
Jesus! What sort of a country is this where a man can't give the people next door a pumpkin?

"In the middle of the night...I will come in disguise with a basket and tap three times followed by a louder bang. I will then hand you the basket and disspear into the night". Will my house be audited to make sure all my fruit and veg has receipts? Silly.

And all because the U.S. is worried about it's food supply collapsing if the price of oil goes up.
"Behold, I come like a thief in the night".

Well, it's perfectly legal for the time being. Which is just as well, because it's hard enough getting rid of my pumpkins as it is. My children won't eat them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.