flights UK to nz

Old May 18th 2014, 10:19 pm
Just Joined

sten3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default flights UK to nz

We are due to move out to Christchurch this november , just wanted peoples advice/experience with flights ? Best airline for families, best websites/agents used. Certain days of week cheaper ? We Would fly from gatwick if not then Heathrow.......thanks

Last edited by sten3; May 18th 2014 at 10:22 pm.
Old May 19th 2014, 1:50 am
wish I wasn't here!

Sparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: flights UK to nz

I've used both Singapore & Emirates and can't fault either of them. For a while Emirates were cheaper but seem to be a bit more expensive just now.

Not sure about days of week from UK but from here, Mondays and Tuesdays seem to be cheapest... as daughter just booked to go NZ to Switzerland with Singapore and saved $500 by going on a Monday!

You could also try Air NZ via LAX, but I've not done that route, but sure there are plenty on here who have.
Old May 19th 2014, 2:45 am
Forum Regular

bellebellec1 has a reputation beyond reputebellebellec1 has a reputation beyond reputebellebellec1 has a reputation beyond reputebellebellec1 has a reputation beyond reputebellebellec1 has a reputation beyond reputebellebellec1 has a reputation beyond reputebellebellec1 has a reputation beyond reputebellebellec1 has a reputation beyond reputebellebellec1 has a reputation beyond reputebellebellec1 has a reputation beyond reputebellebellec1 has a reputation beyond repute

We always use singapore, reason they offer the fastest travel time from Heathrow to Chch which makes life alot easier with families. They may be a little higher on cost but offer a great service and a 1hr transfer through Singapore changi airport. Whenever friends and family visit we always recommend them. Agree Tuesdays (arriving chch Thurs am) seem to be cheapest....
Old May 19th 2014, 3:38 am
Forum Regular

Blade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sparkleydiva
I've used both Singapore & Emirates and can't fault either of them. For a while Emirates were cheaper but seem to be a bit more expensive just now.

Not sure about days of week from UK but from here, Mondays and Tuesdays seem to be cheapest... as daughter just booked to go NZ to Switzerland with Singapore and saved $500 by going on a Monday!

You could also try Air NZ via LAX, but I've not done that route, but sure there are plenty on here who have.
If he wants to be treated like a terrorist, then go via LA.

Unless you live close to Birmingham, Newcastle, Gatwick or Glasgow then go with Emirates. Otherwise it's Singapore all the way

Oh you moving out to Christchurch, Singapore. Only one change over at a very accommodating airport.
Old May 19th 2014, 6:52 am
Just Joined

blandford is an unknown quantity at this point

call Trailfinders in the UK, I found they could always find the best deal
Old May 19th 2014, 7:11 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

if you go via USA you need to get a visa for USA.
Personally I would go any other route and have a stop over. we went Heathrow, Seoul (stop over), Auckland then internal flight down to Wellington.

Second time back came via Heathrow, Singapore, Melbourne then into Wellington.
Old May 19th 2014, 7:26 am
BE Enthusiast

LauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond repute

I've done there and back twice and UK-NZ once. I've flown with Air NZ, Emirates and Virgin/Air NZ codeshare. All the airlines have been acceptable and I've had no problems which would stop me flying with them due to aircraft/staff.

However, I vastly prefer to go from London via either Hong Kong or Shanghai than I do going with Emirates going through Dubai. I think it's something psychological about having three stops and that godawful 15-16 hour hike from Dubai to Melbourne.

For my NZ-UK leg 1 later this year I have to go via the States with Virgin/Air NZ. Not looking forward to being interrogated post 12 hour flight. It's easier to transit through China than the leader of the free world, go figure. But I suppose needs must and it gets me home in the end.
Old May 19th 2014, 7:30 am
Just Joined

Beezer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
if you go via USA you need to get a visa for USA.
Personally I would go any other route and have a stop over. we went Heathrow, Seoul (stop over), Auckland then internal flight down to Wellington.

Second time back came via Heathrow, Singapore, Melbourne then into Wellington.
You don't needs a visa for travelling via the USA, you need an ESTA. You can do it online and it costs less than $US20. Valid for 2 years if my memory is correct.

If going via LA, NZ001 all the way is best otherwise you need to clear customs and then check in again to catch NZ005. I did it in Feb and not a problem. I've also flown via SanFrancisco. Good thing via the states is that you arrive early morning. I got to Welly by 1030 and went into work the same day.

I've not had a problem in the states in recent years. Worst was in Boston back in 2008.

Andy
Old May 19th 2014, 7:52 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

yes ESTA which is a visa waiver so I mis quoted it as a visa, you need to pay for it and have the paperwork or you don't go no further
Old May 19th 2014, 8:24 am
Just Joined

Beezer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
yes ESTA which is a visa waiver so I mis quoted it as a visa, you need to pay for it and have the paperwork or you don't go no further
No you don't need the paperwork as it is all online. You may want to keep a copy just in case but it is not needed.

I know because I turned up at Auckland for a flight to UK via LA having visited NZ for the 2011 World Cup. I was informed at check in that I needed an ESTA. I applied using the free internet access in Auckland airport and walked back to the check in desk and it was all completed in 30 mins no paperwork required.

My ESTA had run out before my flight to NZ via USA in Feb this year. Again I applied online and didn't bother with any paperwork.

Andy
Old May 19th 2014, 10:41 am
Forum Regular

BlackCrossInResidence is a name known to allBlackCrossInResidence is a name known to allBlackCrossInResidence is a name known to allBlackCrossInResidence is a name known to allBlackCrossInResidence is a name known to allBlackCrossInResidence is a name known to allBlackCrossInResidence is a name known to allBlackCrossInResidence is a name known to allBlackCrossInResidence is a name known to allBlackCrossInResidence is a name known to allBlackCrossInResidence is a name known to all

I always thought that travel agents were a bit of a rip off and for the last six years have arranged my own UK flights - with limited success. Not anymore. Tried Flight Finders just to see how they'd rack up and they racked up very well. Beat anything I could arrange - $1750 AKL to MAN return and they managed to get me a free 30 Kg baggage allowance both ways (for my golf clubs). Try Sian, the Irish girl at Mount Eden. She worked damned hard to sort my flights out.
Old May 19th 2014, 11:03 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

That's a truly amazing price BCIR. Good one.
Old May 19th 2014, 11:40 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beezer
No you don't need the paperwork as it is all online. You may want to keep a copy just in case but it is not needed.

I know because I turned up at Auckland for a flight to UK via LA having visited NZ for the 2011 World Cup. I was informed at check in that I needed an ESTA. I applied using the free internet access in Auckland airport and walked back to the check in desk and it was all completed in 30 mins no paperwork required.

My ESTA had run out before my flight to NZ via USA in Feb this year. Again I applied online and didn't bother with any paperwork.

Andy
Bear in mind that not everyone is eligile for ESTA and the Visa Waiver Programme. People with certain convictions, and people who have overstayed in the past may not be eligible, also many countries are not part of the scheme so holders of those passports can't use it.
Old May 20th 2014, 12:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

I've flown with them all, emirates, Singapore, air nz, quantas, cathy pacific, Lufthansa....yadda yadda yadda
once in the air they are all the same.
Old May 24th 2014, 8:32 pm
Forum Regular

Kentishgirl has a brilliant futureKentishgirl has a brilliant futureKentishgirl has a brilliant futureKentishgirl has a brilliant futureKentishgirl has a brilliant futureKentishgirl has a brilliant future

I've only done Singapore Airlines. Last time on my own with 2 children. Singapore Airport is fantastic. There is a connecting flight with only a 1 hour stop over but when I was on my own I went for the 11.30 from Heathrow. I booked a 6hr room at the transit airport, had a decent sleep and then went to the roof top pool for a swim,sun bathe and shower and then got the flight to chch. Much, much better in my opinion particularly if you aren't pushed for time (holiday).