Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Flights to NZ with best baggage allowance ?

Wikiposts

Flights to NZ with best baggage allowance ?

Old Oct 2nd 2010, 9:53 pm
Forum Regular

annabel1 is a name known to allannabel1 is a name known to allannabel1 is a name known to allannabel1 is a name known to allannabel1 is a name known to allannabel1 is a name known to allannabel1 is a name known to allannabel1 is a name known to allannabel1 is a name known to allannabel1 is a name known to allannabel1 is a name known to all
Default Flights to NZ with best baggage allowance ?

Hi,

We are just about ready to book the one way flight to Auckland for next year As we know we'll be waiting a while for our things to get to us in NZ I have been trying to find the best price for a flight and a good baggage allowance ............ I am starting to wonder if I am looking for a needle in a haystack !
Any advice on who or where to look for booking would be greatly appreciated
Old Oct 2nd 2010, 10:09 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flights to NZ with best baggage allowance ?

Check out Air NZ via LA for one way baggage allowance....
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 6:32 am
Forum Regular

drrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nicedrrobert is just really nice

Originally Posted by Stormer999
Check out Air NZ via LA for one way baggage allowance....
As of May this year, Air NZ no longer gives an extra baggage allowance for travelling via the US. It's now 23kg per person, like any other long-distance flight.

We are going back to the UK next year, and doubled our baggage allowance by using our airpoints to upgrade to Premium Economy.

http://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/check...-after-26may10
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 7:37 am
BE Enthusiast

MattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to behold

we had a fab deal from Emirates for 1 way emigration. 50KG each!! dont think they still have that offer on, but you usually get 30KG with them on normal flights anyway. but it pays to actually phone the airline to see if they can offer you a special deal. it certainly made things easier for us, being able to bring so much stuff over
Old Oct 7th 2010, 2:14 am
BE Forum Addict

chippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond repute

Cathay offer a migrant one way fare with 30kg baggage. Mind you, having just completed a return trip with them and their 'shell' seats, wouldn't rave about them if you have normal to long legs!
The plus side of the seat is that you don't get someones seat back on your lap, as the actual seat pad slides forward whilst the seat back remains still. However, this seriously cuts down on leg room. Even with seat in original position, my knees touched the seat pocket and I am only 5'10". My boys are both around 6'3" and found it very uncomfortable.
Old Oct 7th 2010, 3:56 am
Forum Regular

annabel1 is a name known to allannabel1 is a name known to allannabel1 is a name known to allannabel1 is a name known to allannabel1 is a name known to allannabel1 is a name known to allannabel1 is a name known to allannabel1 is a name known to allannabel1 is a name known to allannabel1 is a name known to allannabel1 is a name known to all

I did a bit more looking around over the weekend and thought I had found the solution .............. just fly via LA and get the better baggage allowance (x 2 23kg cases) ! when I went into it though and made a few phonecalls I found that if you had flights which were through shared operators you had to go with the lower allowance ! very annoying !

After a call to Air NZ though, I found that their excess baggage allowance was really good, you pay only £35 for an additional suitcase of 23 kg, so I think we will be going Air NZ. The flight I looked at was a shared operator one with Cathay Pacific doing the first leg to Tokyo so we would have to go with their excess baggage charge but this was only £40 per 23kg bag. Some of the airlines charge absolutly mad prices for excess baggage (£300+ for 23kgs) so I though this was a good deal and it is really worth checking the charges before you get stung.

If anyone is aware of a better option please keep your thoughts comming
Old Oct 7th 2010, 7:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

We used Singapore airlines, they give migrants 30kg but get the agent to check
and confirm with them that you are migrants when you book.
Old Oct 8th 2010, 6:25 pm
Just Joined

Travelqueen is an unknown quantity at this point

I had a similar dilema when I came over in July and chose Air NZ... I came 'direct' (Heathrow -Hong Kong - Auckland - Wellington) with two 23kg bags and just paid £35 at the airport for excess baggage (coz you can't pay on-line).

One of the things that the flight agent pointed out was that some airlines charge for each leg of the flight, so it could add up a bit.
Old Oct 8th 2010, 8:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

lisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by annabel1
I did a bit more looking around over the weekend and thought I had found the solution .............. just fly via LA and get the better baggage allowance (x 2 23kg cases) ! when I went into it though and made a few phonecalls I found that if you had flights which were through shared operators you had to go with the lower allowance ! very annoying !
I had 2 different flight companies on my flight over, BMI and Air NZ but BMI honoured the higher baggage allowance from Air NZ. Usually if you book the flights through one single operator (I booked mine through Air NZ but they use BMI for some flights) the higher allowance will be honoured on all legs of the journey.