blenheim

Old Sep 23rd 2010, 4:26 pm
Just Joined

chillyed is on a distinguished road
Default blenheim

hello

After much to and fro i have been offered a secondment with the company i currently work for, to Blenheim.

However after researching Blenheim it looks like a ghost town! i'm thinking for a 26 year old lad going on his own it could end in tears! probably tears of boredom

Basically i want to know is blenheim as dull as i expect?

I dont want to turn this opportunity out flat but then again there's no point in going to a place which i won't like
Old Sep 24th 2010, 5:48 am
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: blenheim

I had a job offer in Blenheim before we came.....got put off by the beige flatness of the place.
On our visit, the town itself was more than fine, and yes, the wineries surrounding it are apparently fantastic, but it just didn't excite us enough like here.
Locals, don't be offended, just different strokes for different folks.
On the other side, if you dislike your current location enought to want to emigrate, how bad do you expect it to be? Think east cowes on the Isle of Wight.
Old Sep 24th 2010, 3:14 pm
Just Joined

I expect tumbleweed! I think the worst thing is when you look at the place on google maps it looks really isolated. Look's like I'll be off there now if push comes to shove I'll ask for a transfer when the novelty runs out. SUre I'll be fine there anyway

All the flights visas etc will be sorted by my company so i can't whinge too much. I live in North Wales at present so it's not like I'm coming from a big city or anything

If anyone else has experience (good or bad) I'd be pleased to hear of it
Old Sep 24th 2010, 9:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond repute

Blenheim is lovely. The people very friendly once you go out of your way to make friends. We go to the Marlbourough Wine Festival every Feb. Get your ticket booked now.... it is an awesome day out, good bands, good food & terrific wines to try at very good prices.
Night life will be a little quite, there are a few pubs & a working mens club. But Welly is just across the ditch. You can fly over in 20 mins $99 & have a weekend in the capital, where the night night is great!
Blenheim will offer other opportunites, you will become a total outdoorsy person. Also the summers are long
Old Oct 6th 2010, 9:18 am

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

Yup, Blenheim is pretty dull!

But you can scratch underneath the surface and find cool stuff going on. Just depends what you are into. Also, Nelson is only 90mins away and great for a good night out.

I am originally from Sheffield, loved my clubbing and living life in the fast lane. Slowed right down since getting here, but in a good way, love the outdoors, mixing with good friends from all over the world.
Old Oct 6th 2010, 8:55 pm
Just Joined

I was thinking of bumping this but you've already beaten me to it! I decided to go ahead just in the process of applying for a visa, hoping to be out there in january cant wait

in the end i thought it cant be any more dull than north wales
Old Oct 9th 2010, 2:38 pm
Just Joined

stellios is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by chillyed
I was thinking of bumping this but you've already beaten me to it! I decided to go ahead just in the process of applying for a visa, hoping to be out there in january cant wait

in the end i thought it cant be any more dull than north wales
My family and I are reconsidering NZ (Nelson seems to tick every box for us) after visiting Oz (Queensland/NSW) in the summer which just didn't grab us in the way we hoped it would. We also live in North Wales! I was ofered a job in Blenheim (nurse) but felt a liitle unsure of the place too. It will be interesting to see how you get on. Good luck with it all.