British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Flight Options (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/flight-options-407637/)

Am Loolah Nov 12th 2006 9:12 pm

Re: Flight Options

Originally Posted by kev&sarah
Most of the hotels in Dubai appear to be :beer: free!!! Shame cos I fancied the shopping!!

I fancied the hoards of premiership footballers who have houses/holiday there!!! Oh, and the indoor skiing on real snow. Like Snow Planet just North of Auckland - fab!

Am Loolah Nov 12th 2006 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by Maz
Ann, I'm just avoiding the US-owned airlines. I flew with my daughter to England last month with BA. Felt completely safe. I don't whenever I've flown with a US airline. I don't think it's over-dramatic, either. Unfortunately it's being realistic.

Christmas bash... Newquay or Dubai... hmm, tough choice! ;) :p

I'm not Ann!!!! :)

Loolah, Am Loolah, Lools or insane are fine. Caroline if we want to be grown up!!

Yes, my Dad actually really kicked off when we said we were even thinking about going via the States! (Wanted to go to Vegas?!) His reaction was soooo strong that we've dismissed it for fear of being written out of the will! :D

P2L Nov 12th 2006 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
I fancied the hoards of premiership footballers who have houses/holiday there!!! Oh, and the indoor skiing on real snow. Like Snow Planet just North of Auckland - fab!

Overheard a conversation in my hairdressers in the summer betwen one of the stylists and a famous snooker players wife who lives out there most of the year.

They've got 8 bathrooms and she reckons she cleans them herself!!! :D Yeah right!!

Lots of people we know in construction have gone out there the last 12 months on 2 or 3year contracts

Maz Nov 13th 2006 12:01 am

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
I'm not Ann!!!! :)

Loolah, Am Loolah, Lools or insane are fine. Caroline if we want to be grown up!!

Yes, my Dad actually really kicked off when we said we were even thinking about going via the States! (Wanted to go to Vegas?!) His reaction was soooo strong that we've dismissed it for fear of being written out of the will! :D

Oh crap... why have I always read that as "Ann"? I'll tell you. 'Cos I'm dense. :D Thanks for clearing that up, Caroline. :)

Come via Chicago and stay with us a bit. :D Of course you'd still have to go via LA... 3 hours to LA, then a "mere" 13 to Auckland. ;)

mazi Nov 13th 2006 9:24 am

Originally Posted by kev&sarah
Are Emirates flights tee total? Quite enjoy a glass of the vino to help wash my meal down!!! :beer:

No they're not tee total - and neither is Dubai itself for the ex pats and tourists. If you live there and want to buy from a shop you have to have a special license, if you're a tourist you can drink with your meals etc. in hotels (booze does cost the earth though - actually no it doesn't, it's just expensive in comparison to other things)

Ash1 Nov 14th 2006 10:37 am

Originally Posted by DiffordA
Hi there

I know there have been numerous posts about flights but I have had a search and just can't find the information I need.

My husband and I are looking to fly over in March/April time on working holiday visas initially with a view to getting PR once settled. We are thinking about possibly getting open ended return flights but aren't too sure if this is the best option.

Can anyone advise us as to the best solution both practicality and cost wise and also explain how the open ended tickest work. I mean, are there time limits set on them etc?

Also if anybody can recommend the best companies to look at that would be great.

Thanks!

Hi we flew last christmas with Malaysia airlines stopping off in kl for 2 nights with 2 kids great airline food ok, if you like a lot of malaysian food. Kl very busy loads of traffic stayed at pan pacific on airport side great.
Just booked the other day as house sold and are off on 3rd Dec we are going with air new zealand this time as more luggage allowance via la and stoping of for 2 days on beverley hills not bad price all in just over 3 thousand one way 3 adults and 1 child oldest is now 12 so payes adult fare travelling premium economy and 2 nights in 4 star hotel with 2 rooms. Looked at emirates but included 2 or 3 stops not my idea of fun on off on off etc.
Good luck :D

mazi Nov 14th 2006 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by Ash1
Hi we flew last christmas with Malaysia airlines stopping off in kl for 2 nights with 2 kids great airline food ok, if you like a lot of malaysian food. Kl very busy loads of traffic stayed at pan pacific on airport side great.
Just booked the other day as house sold and are off on 3rd Dec we are going with air new zealand this time as more luggage allowance via la and stoping of for 2 days on beverley hills not bad price all in just over 3 thousand one way 3 adults and 1 child oldest is now 12 so payes adult fare travelling premium economy and 2 nights in 4 star hotel with 2 rooms. Looked at emirates but included 2 or 3 stops not my idea of fun on off on off etc.
Good luck :D

Previously I would have agreed with you about the on-off thing with Emirates (before doing it) but I've done the flight back and forth about 10 times and tried all different ways and means and honestly found I felt the most refreshed doing it that way. Actually it made a HUGE difference. But not for everybody, maybe...

esperanza Nov 21st 2006 9:45 am

Originally Posted by mazi
Previously I would have agreed with you about the on-off thing with Emirates (before doing it) but I've done the flight back and forth about 10 times and tried all different ways and means and honestly found I felt the most refreshed doing it that way. Actually it made a HUGE difference. But not for everybody, maybe...

I can see that stopping more than once would put people off, but personally I hate sitting all cramped up in one position for too long - I'd rather queue a few times more in exchange for being able to walk around properly every few hours!
It might concern me about luggage being transferred properly though.