Flight Options

Old Nov 12th 2006, 9:33 am
Forum Regular

DiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to all
Default Flight Options

Hi there

I know there have been numerous posts about flights but I have had a search and just can't find the information I need.

My husband and I are looking to fly over in March/April time on working holiday visas initially with a view to getting PR once settled. We are thinking about possibly getting open ended return flights but aren't too sure if this is the best option.

Can anyone advise us as to the best solution both practicality and cost wise and also explain how the open ended tickest work. I mean, are there time limits set on them etc?

Also if anybody can recommend the best companies to look at that would be great.

Thanks!
Old Nov 12th 2006, 10:10 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flight Options

Originally Posted by DiffordA
Hi there

I know there have been numerous posts about flights but I have had a search and just can't find the information I need.

My husband and I are looking to fly over in March/April time on working holiday visas initially with a view to getting PR once settled. We are thinking about possibly getting open ended return flights but aren't too sure if this is the best option.

Can anyone advise us as to the best solution both practicality and cost wise and also explain how the open ended tickest work. I mean, are there time limits set on them etc?

Also if anybody can recommend the best companies to look at that would be great.

Thanks!
Flying over the US allows heavier luggage.

Flying over Asia allows reasonable stopover in Singapore/Bangkok/HongKong/Seoul etc.

Air NZ via LA to Auckland is quick and reasonable but one hell of a long flight.
Definitely suggest you introduce at least one night stop over - ideally 2 nights both ways. My preference is via Singapore with Singapore Airlines.
Old Nov 12th 2006, 10:40 am
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thebears

Flying over Asia allows reasonable stopover in Singapore/Bangkok/HongKong/Seoul etc.

Air NZ via LA to Auckland is quick and reasonable but one hell of a long flight.
Definitely suggest you introduce at least one night stop over - ideally 2 nights both ways. My preference is via Singapore with Singapore Airlines.
I've only made the journey via Singapore and would recommend: Singapore airlines, BA are ok. via Hong Kong. Malaysian are ok. if you want to go via KL.
I rather fancy trying Emirates via Dubai next time but think hubby will want us to use up our airmiles with Singapore Airlines.
Old Nov 12th 2006, 11:36 am
Account Closed

mazi is an unknown quantity at this point

We've flown the US and the Asian routes several times on various different airlines and by far the best were Emirates, by far the worst Air NZ (in our opinion the service is not very professional...at all). Emirates stop a lot but we found ths to be a good thing - even if you get out of the aircraft for only an hour it makes a huge difference to how you feel when you finally land. We used to do 12 hours odd and then stop for a night somewhere but when we last came back to Europe we did the Emirates thing of AKL - Brisbane - Singapore - Dubai - HTR and we felt so much better. Plus Emirates offer a splendid service.
Old Nov 12th 2006, 5:24 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thebears

Bear in mind if you fly via U.S that all laptops, mobiles and mp3 players are being taken from you at the moment and data downloaded!!!!!! Cheeky b******s
Old Nov 12th 2006, 5:30 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helinuk
I've only made the journey via Singapore and would recommend: Singapore airlines, BA are ok. via Hong Kong. Malaysian are ok. if you want to go via KL.
I rather fancy trying Emirates via Dubai next time but think hubby will want us to use up our airmiles with Singapore Airlines.

We flew Malaysian last year and they were excellent esp. with children. We did a stopover in Kuala Lumpar on the way out and did a side flight on the way back to Borneo. Prices for side flights hotels were so good that we couldn't not do them!!!

Think open ended tickets are very expensive in comparision to a standard return but don't quote me. Best to phone the airlines.
Old Nov 12th 2006, 5:56 pm
Account Closed

Apple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by DiffordA
Hi there

Thanks!
How about looking into round the world tickets... not much more expensive, awesome stopover options and very flexible.
Old Nov 12th 2006, 7:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

brussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to behold

Yes, the dates of Round The World ticket can normally be changed, but the RTW is normally valid for only 1 year. I agree that an open return ticket is very very expensive, i would go for a RTW ticket that is flexible with dates, see travelbag website, if you are starting from England ! Of course you will have to fly in one direction !
Can you not just get a one way ticket , if you have WTR ?

Last edited by brussels_sprout; Nov 12th 2006 at 7:58 pm.
Old Nov 12th 2006, 8:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

spackster has much to be proud ofspackster has much to be proud ofspackster has much to be proud ofspackster has much to be proud ofspackster has much to be proud ofspackster has much to be proud ofspackster has much to be proud ofspackster has much to be proud ofspackster has much to be proud ofspackster has much to be proud ofspackster has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by helinuk

Ditto with your hubby. We've also built up air miles with Singapore so are going with them again. Very good service. Economy travel with first class red wine.
Old Nov 12th 2006, 8:22 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by spackster
Ditto with your hubby. We've also built up air miles with Singapore so are going with them again. Very good service. Economy travel with first class red wine.

Are Emirates flights tee total? Quite enjoy a glass of the vino to help wash my meal down!!!
Old Nov 12th 2006, 9:01 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

I'm jealous... Singapore Airlines sound pretty damn good! From the US we only have 4 airlines we can fly with: Qantas, Air New Zealand, American Airlines and United Airlines. I really hope I don't have to book (tomorrow woot!) with either of the US-based airlines. I don't feel safe on them anymore. Qantas is too pricey, so it'll probably be Air NZ.
Old Nov 12th 2006, 9:04 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Maz
I'm jealous... Singapore Airlines sound pretty damn good! From the US we only have 4 airlines we can fly with: Qantas, Air New Zealand, American Airlines and United Airlines. I really hope I don't have to book (tomorrow woot!) with either of the US-based airlines. I don't feel safe on them anymore. Qantas is too pricey, so it'll probably be Air NZ.

OH just flown Air New Zealand.

Really helpful

Lots of lovely food and alcohol

Has just changed his flight home & cost him $50 to do it
Old Nov 12th 2006, 9:05 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Maz
I hear what you're saying. I don't want to fly via the States and my dad doesn't want us to. Others think I'm being over dramatic.

Would love to know answer to Sarah's question re: tee total flights with Emirates? Been trying to persuade bosses that our Christmas do should be in Dubai, maybe will settle for Newquay after all!
Old Nov 12th 2006, 9:07 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
I hear what you're saying. I don't want to fly via the States and my dad doesn't want us to. Others think I'm being over dramatic.

Would love to know answer to Sarah's question re: tee total flights with Emirates? Been trying to persuade bosses that our Christmas do should be in Dubai, maybe will settle for Newquay after all!

Most of the hotels in Dubai appear to be free!!! Shame cos I fancied the shopping!!
Old Nov 12th 2006, 9:08 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Am Loolah

Ann, I'm just avoiding the US-owned airlines. I flew with my daughter to England last month with BA. Felt completely safe. I don't whenever I've flown with a US airline. I don't think it's over-dramatic, either. Unfortunately it's being realistic.

Christmas bash... Newquay or Dubai... hmm, tough choice!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.