Flight advice!

Old Aug 1st 2013, 3:12 pm
Forum Regular

Pinksar is a glorious beacon of lightPinksar is a glorious beacon of lightPinksar is a glorious beacon of lightPinksar is a glorious beacon of lightPinksar is a glorious beacon of lightPinksar is a glorious beacon of lightPinksar is a glorious beacon of lightPinksar is a glorious beacon of lightPinksar is a glorious beacon of lightPinksar is a glorious beacon of lightPinksar is a glorious beacon of light
Default Flight advice!

OK, so we are finally going to arrive in September after getting our work visa's approved - we cannot wait and I will update the other part of the forum with arrival details in a bit.

Hubby's new firm have offered us a choice of 2 flights - one with Quantas and one with Emirates, both going via Dubai & Sydney and very similar times of day too.

I don't mind flying but hate being cramped up (why am I doing this again? ) but wondered if anyone had any feedback on either of these airlines? I've never flown with either of them and need some advice!

Am currently very excited though!!!

Old Aug 1st 2013, 3:18 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flight advice!

Originally Posted by Pinksar
OK, so we are finally going to arrive in September after getting our work visa's approved - we cannot wait and I will update the other part of the forum with arrival details in a bit.

Hubby's new firm have offered us a choice of 2 flights - one with Quantas and one with Emirates, both going via Dubai & Sydney and very similar times of day too.

I don't mind flying but hate being cramped up (why am I doing this again? ) but wondered if anyone had any feedback on either of these airlines? I've never flown with either of them and need some advice!

Qantas and Emirates now codeshare so even if you book with one you may end up on a plane operated by the other for at least part of the journey.

If you have a play with the Qantas website - www.qantas.com.au you can probably work out which airline operates which sector. Personally I prefer Qantas, I flew Emirates years ago and don't like their attitude, but many people swear by them.
Old Aug 1st 2013, 3:20 pm
Forum Regular

Pinksar is a glorious beacon of lightPinksar is a glorious beacon of lightPinksar is a glorious beacon of lightPinksar is a glorious beacon of lightPinksar is a glorious beacon of lightPinksar is a glorious beacon of lightPinksar is a glorious beacon of lightPinksar is a glorious beacon of lightPinksar is a glorious beacon of lightPinksar is a glorious beacon of lightPinksar is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks Pollyana - I guess its always going to be personal preference - I have checked the websites just wanted some 'real people' feedback!
Old Aug 1st 2013, 3:26 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Pollyana - I guess its always going to be personal preference - I have checked the websites just wanted some 'real people' feedback!
Have a play with the flight numbers on the Qantas site - many of the flights UK-Dubai are Emirates operated even with a QF flight number, and to be honest you'll be lucky to get Qantas operated all the way - even I have had to settle for an Emirates sector and I HATE flying with them. So really I think its going to come down to timing preferences.
One other thing to check though - some Emirates flights leave from Gatwick, some Heathrow. All Qantas operated are Heathrow. MAy not matter to you, but if it does, check thoroughly before you book
Old Aug 1st 2013, 3:39 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Exciting!!

I have only travelled once with Qantas - Wellington to Sydney one way. We returned to the UK on Emirates last year: Chch-Sydney-Dubai- Newcastle and back.
Qantas were fine, it was a short flight, we got ice cream, not bad but not amazing.
In contrast to Pollyanna I was very impressed with Emirates, more food than we could eat and very friendly. We chose them because they flew into Newcastle which meant we could get a lift from the airport.
On the A380 [Sydney-Dubai] we managed to get the bulkhead seats so plenty of room. If you look at the seating layout on the A380 there are some rows that have three seats behind a row of two seats. It means the one with the window can stretch right out! We always choose our seats before the flight and whilst not guaranteed we've always got what we wanted or very similar.
Old Aug 1st 2013, 8:08 pm
Forum Regular

That's brilliant Persephone thank you. I have to admit I was leaning more towards emirates. Wow big decision of the day done
Old Aug 1st 2013, 9:54 pm

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

I have flown Emirates Dubai/Sydney/Christchurch. The service was fine.

Dubai airport is great for duty free.

The leg between Dubai and Sydney is approx 14hrs. Its a real test of human endurance in the face of excruciating boredom and cramp.
Old Aug 1st 2013, 10:48 pm
Account Closed

Tom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura about

Both Emirates and Qantas are decent airlines

I've flown numerous times with Emirates to Australia, Sri Lanka and India. A very good airline, decent food, seats are ok and cabin staff are usually very good.

Qantas can be a fun airline to travel with. They're the usual aircraft of choice I fly on when I go to Australia or sometimes further afield. I'm a bit annoyed they're going to use Dubai now instead of Singapore as their Kangaroo hop. Whilst Dubai airport is a decent one for a long stop over, it's not a patch on Changi airport in my opinion.

The last flight I had with Emirates when I was supposed to go to England and then onto America for a 2 week conference - one of our engines blew after leaving Sydney. It was a decent bang and scared the living poo poo out of the passengers (it was on the A380). Ended up returning to Sydney, missing the conferences and returned to New Zealand instead. Pilots were excellent at keeping people calm, they fully explained what was going on with the plane, what they're having to do and the emergency landing was just a normal landing.

The best airline to fly to New Zealand with in my opinion is Singapore Airlines so it's a buga that the company aren't offering you a flight with them. Fantastic airline!
Old Aug 1st 2013, 11:06 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

perhaps not go with Qantas

http://news.sky.com/story/1123272/ma...assengers-sick
Old Aug 1st 2013, 11:41 pm
Looking for my marbles.

pippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond repute

We flew with emirates too. From Newcastle to Dubai to Sydney and then to NZ. They were great. I have a 4 year old and she got free toys, colouring books etc. the food was lovely as you get a choice. Plenty drinks and snacks and all free. They always have time for you and made such a fuss over my little one. Would def fly with them again.
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 12:25 am
Forum Regular

pixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud of

Congrats getting this far.... I can only comment on Emirates, last used them 4 years ago on an Emergency flight home and they were fantastic...Air Hostesses were lovely and had no problems.
Good Luck
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 1:23 am
BE Enthusiast

ellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Fly with Emirates, been with them several times and never had a problem absolutely brilliant
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 3:01 am
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute

6 of one, half a dozen of the other.

It won't matter either way, because frankly you'll be excited that your on your way to a new life. And these will be free on both to celebrate that new start;

Old Aug 2nd 2013, 3:03 am
Forum Regular

S_and_T is a jewel in the roughS_and_T is a jewel in the roughS_and_T is a jewel in the roughS_and_T is a jewel in the roughS_and_T is a jewel in the rough

We flew with Qantas. If you explain you're emigrating, you get "emigrant rates', which includes 40kg per person in luggage allowance.
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 6:58 am
BE Enthusiast

M_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond repute

Haven't gone quantas but have gone emirates and they were very good indeed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.