Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Flatshare in Central Auckland - how much should I pay?

Flatshare in Central Auckland - how much should I pay?

Old Jan 9th 2012, 11:40 pm
Just Joined

sheetarathundercat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Flatshare in Central Auckland - how much should I pay?

Hello!

I am a 31 year old female moving to Auckland at the end of the month. I don't have a job lined up but am hoping to work in the CBD. Since I don't know very many people and I am making the move on my own, a flatshare somewhere central seems to be the obvious choice for me.

I live in Central London at the moment and pay £150/week on rent to live with two other people (that's about NZ$300/week). That is considered quite reasonable for London but I have no idea about Auckland. Someone said that if I pay £150/week in London then I should pay NZ$150/week in Auckland. Is that true?

I was referred to the website below, which has a lot of choice but the prices are all over the place (even within the same area)!!

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Flatmates/Auckland/index.htm

Could someone give tips on which bit of central Auckland is good for single professionals, with good transport links? What would be a reasonable amount of rent to pay per week for a flatshare in a 3 bed flat/house?

Thanks!

J
Old Jan 10th 2012, 5:33 pm
Forum Regular

GulliesPacific is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Flatshare in Central Auckland - how much should I pay?

Hi there!

I spent a year in AKL ten years ago. Great place - you've made a good choice.

I rented a place by myself. One bedroom, open-plan kitchen and living room. I seem to remember the only bathroom being off the bedroom.

I paid about $900.00 a month I seem to recall.

I suspect that, despite being ten years on, you won't have to pay much more than that for a place of your own. The city appears to be SWAMPED with small(ish), cheap(ish), purpose built flats and apartments.

Have a look here - http://www.sella.co.nz/property/resi...y/sort-lowest/

That's the NZ Herald's property 'link' and that's where I found my place way back in the day.

I was 20 went I moved over there. Had a blast. Am trying to get back.
Old Jan 11th 2012, 1:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

If your flat / house sharing you can get some really nice places for around $150 a week.
Look around on trade me under flatmates wanted. A lot of the city centre flats tend to be a bit small
you might be better looking to share a largish house (4 / 5 bedrooms)

something like this http://www.trademe.co.nz/flatmates-w...-437251511.htm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/browse/prop...rder=price_asc
Old Jan 16th 2012, 10:30 pm
Just Joined

Thanks so much!

Oscar the Grouch - how long does it take to get into Auckland Central from One Tree Hill (on foot and by bus)?
Old Jan 17th 2012, 3:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

No idea i live on the north shore.
I believe there are buses and trains available, timetable will be online somewhere
Old Jan 17th 2012, 6:22 am
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.maxx.co.nz/
Old Jan 17th 2012, 10:40 am
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by sheetarathundercat
Hello!

I am a 31 year old female moving to Auckland at the end of the month. I don't have a job lined up but am hoping to work in the CBD. Since I don't know very many people and I am making the move on my own, a flatshare somewhere central seems to be the obvious choice for me.

I live in Central London at the moment and pay £150/week on rent to live with two other people (that's about NZ$300/week). That is considered quite reasonable for London but I have no idea about Auckland. Someone said that if I pay £150/week in London then I should pay NZ$150/week in Auckland. Is that true?

I was referred to the website below, which has a lot of choice but the prices are all over the place (even within the same area)!!

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Flatmates/Auckland/index.htm

Could someone give tips on which bit of central Auckland is good for single professionals, with good transport links? What would be a reasonable amount of rent to pay per week for a flatshare in a 3 bed flat/house?

Thanks!

J
hi. i would say for a flatshare you would be able to get something decent for 150 to 220 a week. if you are looking to work in the CBD then look at a central suburb. I would suggest ponsonby or grey lynn, parnell or mount eden. these suburbs are a bit expensive but there is a reason for it. Kingsland is a bit cheaper and also a very good option.

trademe is the best website but it may be a challenge locking in something before you arrive. a week or two in short term acc may be required
Old Jan 17th 2012, 10:53 pm
Just Joined

Thanks newkiwi! the areas you mentioned do sound nice :-)

Within central Auckland how far south is safe before you get to the dodgy bits?
Old Jan 18th 2012, 4:02 am
BE Forum Addict

you could go 5 minutes and be dodgy in any direction
its all a matter of personal preference what one thinks is ropey is another paradise
Old Jan 18th 2012, 10:14 am
Forum Regular

Ex Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to all

I suggest Mission Bay, I drive into the CBD from here in 15-20 minutes, by bus allow 30 minutes
It is a lovely lively upmarket suburb with beach, lots of restaurants & cafes & art deco multi cinema.

More info on Mission Bay http://missionbay.co.nz/

a example of share accommodation

http://www.trademe.co.nz/flatmates-w...-422762820.htm