Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point
Default First taste of winter in NZ

Brrr! Chilly!

National News

>> Home >> National News

Wintry weather grips the country
25.04.05 11.00am UPDATE

Desert Road is now open after ice and snow closed the road earlier today as the first blast of wintry weather for the year continued to grip much of the country on the Anzac holiday weekend.

Snow, hail and high winds have affected many regions.

The Rimutaka Hill road, north of Wellington, is open but motorists have been advised to take extreme care as a light dusting of snow and slushy conditions create driving hazards.

Despite savage weather overnight, flights in and out of the capital were unaffected, and only minor storm damage was reported.

Metservice reported swells in Cook Strait bigger than 8.3m last night.

Although a gale force warning with very rough seas has been issued for today, the swell is expected to be about 4m.

The Interislander ferry Arahura took seven hours to complete a crossing yesterday when it lost power in bad weather near the entrance to Tory Channel in the Marlborough Sounds.

The Maritime Safety Authority is investigating the breakdown. It had put emergency services -- including the Rescue Co-ordination Centre and the Westpac rescue helicopter -- on standby after the captain issued a "pan-pan", a call indicating a potentially serious situation, as it headed into the channel.

Conditions are expected to ease later today, although cold, wet, windy weather will continue to affect many areas.

Strong wind gusted up to 120km/h, lightning, thunder and hail rattled many parts of the country overnight.

Weather forecaster said the icy blast came straight off the Antarctic ice shelf, the cool winds reaching the South Island relatively unobstructed.

The South Island bore the early brunt, with people trapped by snow in Central Otago, and a light covering of snow blanketing Tekapo, Queenstown, Dunedin and parts of Christchurch.

Meanwhile, a solo French sailor is being towed to safety today after he issued a mayday call northwest of Cape Reinga yesterday.

High seas also forced a 71-year-old yachtsman to be rescued off Stewart Island yesterday.

His yacht was towed to the sheltered side of a small island on the western side of Stewart Island by a fishing boat, before he was winched to safety and taken to hospital for a medical check up.

- NZPA
Old Apr 25th 2005, 5:03 pm
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

shepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First taste of winter in NZ

Originally Posted by Don
Brrr! Chilly!

National News

>> Home >> National News

Wintry weather grips the country
25.04.05 11.00am UPDATE

Desert Road is now open after ice and snow closed the road earlier today as the first blast of wintry weather for the year continued to grip much of the country on the Anzac holiday weekend.

Snow, hail and high winds have affected many regions.

The Rimutaka Hill road, north of Wellington, is open but motorists have been advised to take extreme care as a light dusting of snow and slushy conditions create driving hazards.

Despite savage weather overnight, flights in and out of the capital were unaffected, and only minor storm damage was reported.

Metservice reported swells in Cook Strait bigger than 8.3m last night.

Although a gale force warning with very rough seas has been issued for today, the swell is expected to be about 4m.

The Interislander ferry Arahura took seven hours to complete a crossing yesterday when it lost power in bad weather near the entrance to Tory Channel in the Marlborough Sounds.

The Maritime Safety Authority is investigating the breakdown. It had put emergency services -- including the Rescue Co-ordination Centre and the Westpac rescue helicopter -- on standby after the captain issued a "pan-pan", a call indicating a potentially serious situation, as it headed into the channel.

Conditions are expected to ease later today, although cold, wet, windy weather will continue to affect many areas.

Strong wind gusted up to 120km/h, lightning, thunder and hail rattled many parts of the country overnight.

Weather forecaster said the icy blast came straight off the Antarctic ice shelf, the cool winds reaching the South Island relatively unobstructed.

The South Island bore the early brunt, with people trapped by snow in Central Otago, and a light covering of snow blanketing Tekapo, Queenstown, Dunedin and parts of Christchurch.

Meanwhile, a solo French sailor is being towed to safety today after he issued a mayday call northwest of Cape Reinga yesterday.

High seas also forced a 71-year-old yachtsman to be rescued off Stewart Island yesterday.

His yacht was towed to the sheltered side of a small island on the western side of Stewart Island by a fishing boat, before he was winched to safety and taken to hospital for a medical check up.

- NZPA
Winter sure decided to hit hard didnt it when it showed its face over the weekend. I read all about it online myself yesterday & spoke to some of my family on the phone. My sister said it scared her & she couldnt believe that my 75 year old Mother managed to sleep through all of it.
One of my sons was out on the town after watching the ruby at a club & he said it was kind of freaky but was glad he was in a cab on his way home when it hit.
Dont feel too bad about it though because its spring here where I am & yesterday we woke up to find a coating of snow on the ground & man was it ever cold outside. Today is sunny but the wind chill is something awful out there.
I hope you werent one of the ones who sustained any damage from the storm Don.

Regards
Shepslady
Old Apr 25th 2005, 5:12 pm
Don
Banned

Originally Posted by shepslady
I hope you werent one of the ones who sustained any damage from the storm Don.

Regards
Shepslady
Thanks for the thought but I am in Central Europe and was sunbathing yesterday. Raining today, though - which has got to be good for the garden.
Old Apr 25th 2005, 5:19 pm
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

shepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Don
Thanks for the thought but I am in Central Europe and was sunbathing yesterday. Raining today, though - which has got to be good for the garden.
Sorry about that Don I thought you were still in NZ. As for the sunbathing yesterday that sounds wonderful & I am so envious. Sorry to hear its raining today but as you say the gardens can always do with some rain so maybe tomorrow will be better & you can once again enjoy the sunshine.
Old Apr 25th 2005, 5:49 pm
Don
Banned

Sorry about that Don I thought you were still in NZ. As for the sunbathing yesterday that sounds wonderful & I am so envious. Sorry to hear its raining today but as you say the gardens can always do with some rain so maybe tomorrow will be better & you can once again enjoy the sunshine.
It's actually very good timing as I put in a load of shrubs over the previous 3 days (about 50 mostly quite big evergreens - winter gets a bit dull without them) in our new garden. Thet'll appreciate the wet - in fact there's a helluvan electrical storm going on right now, thunderbolts of lightning, very very frightening, mamma mia!

We expanded the size of our dacha by buying the one next door, ripped out the hedges and most of the grapevines and landscaped it.

Still not dry enough to get the lawns-to-be rolled, seeded and growing...
Old Apr 25th 2005, 6:01 pm
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

Originally Posted by Don
It's actually very good timing as I put in a load of shrubs over the previous 3 days (about 50 mostly quite big evergreens - winter gets a bit dull without them) in our new garden. Thet'll appreciate the wet - in fact there's a helluvan electrical storm going on right now, thunderbolts of lightning, very very frightening, mamma mia!

We expanded the size of our dacha by buying the one next door, ripped out the hedges and most of the grapevines and landscaped it.

Still not dry enough to get the lawns-to-be rolled, seeded and growing...
Wow Don I am impressed that you have been so busy in the garden & Im sure your newly planted shrubs will thrive with this rain. Hubby & I got our vege garden all planted out last week so dont know how they have faired after the light snow fall we had yesterday. Fingers crossed they wont have come to any harm. Did get out there & get the tomatoe plants all covered so hopefully thats been enough to save them.
Not familiar with what a "dacha" is so maybe you can translate that one for me please?
As for the electical storm I should find that exciting. Before I came to the US I really didnt know what a good electrical storm was & was absolutely terrified when I experienced my first one but have come to love them. Last year while Hubby & I were away camping we had a tremendous electrical storm. The lightening was amazing & the thunder so loud it was deafening. Our tent was lit up all night long & poor hubby stayed awake thinking I would be scared out of my mind but I loved it & slept like a baby.
Old Apr 25th 2005, 6:43 pm
Don
Banned

Wow Don I am impressed that you have been so busy in the garden & Im sure your newly planted shrubs will thrive with this rain. Hubby & I got our vege garden all planted out last week so dont know how they have faired after the light snow fall we had yesterday. Fingers crossed they wont have come to any harm. Did get out there & get the tomatoe plants all covered so hopefully thats been enough to save them.
Not familiar with what a "dacha" is so maybe you can translate that one for me please?
As for the electical storm I should find that exciting. Before I came to the US I really didnt know what a good electrical storm was & was absolutely terrified when I experienced my first one but have come to love them. Last year while Hubby & I were away camping we had a tremendous electrical storm. The lightening was amazing & the thunder so loud it was deafening. Our tent was lit up all night long & poor hubby stayed awake thinking I would be scared out of my mind but I loved it & slept like a baby.
All gone quiet, guess the storm has moved on.

Dacha is just your little place in the country, despite all you hear about European communism, the reality was everybody was not roughly equal in wealth and some families had very nice 'get away from the city' plots with a little hut/ house on them, good for weekends and a month in the summer, lovely mature gardens now, fruit trees and a veggie patch kind of job.

We've got 3 dachas in a row now, about 3000 odd square metres in total and on the edge of a national park with wonderful views over wooded hills (we're on the top of the hill). Great place to build a family house in the fullness of time but for now just a lovely garden, swimming pool and modest place to dump the family when they come over in summer.

Good luck with your veggies, my peas are coming up nicely but I think I gave my tomatoes a frosting and they are nearly dead.
Old Apr 25th 2005, 6:49 pm
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

Originally Posted by Don
Dacha is just your little place in the country, despite all you hear about European communism, the reality was everybody was not roughly equal in wealth and some families had very nice 'get away from the city' plots with a little hut/ house on them, good for weekends and a month in the summer, lovely mature gardens now, fruit trees and a veggie patch kind of job.

Thanks for explaining that. I kind of thought it might be a area for a garden so I wasnt far off.

We've got 3 dachas in a row now, about 3000 odd square metres in total and on the edge of a national park with wonderful views over wooded hills (we're on the top of the hill). Great place to build a family house in the fullness of time but for now just a lovely garden, swimming pool and modest place to dump the family when they come over in summer.

Sounds absolutely delightful & Im sure when the family is over you all enjoy it a lot. Sounds like a glorious place to sit & chill a little while taking in the wonderful view. We live quite close to a national park & its my favourite place to go just to sit, look over the lake & enjoy the sounds of nature. Nothing quite like it for a bit of peace & relaxation.

Good luck with your veggies, my peas are coming up nicely but I think I gave my tomatoes a frosting and they are nearly dead.
Sorry to hear your tomatoes arent doing well. Is there still time for you to plant some more?
Old Apr 26th 2005, 8:23 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Don - get a job will you!
Old Apr 26th 2005, 8:42 am
Forum Regular

Tayberry will become famous soon enoughTayberry will become famous soon enough

Man, it's been Baltic here in Auckland for the last couple of days. The disturbing thing is, it was allegedly 17 degrees outside. That's a freaking heatwave in the UK!! Hell, I'm going to end up with pneumonia when I go back. It's truly amazing how quickly you acclimatise to the weather.

What I find even more amazing is how the weather here has gone from roasting hot, to pleasantly mild to criminally cold. Boof!!! No autumn-just a straight jump from Summer to Winter.
Old Apr 26th 2005, 6:12 pm
Don
Banned

Originally Posted by southerner
Don - get a job will you!
OK
Old Apr 27th 2005, 4:22 am
Forum Regular

xpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nice

[QUOTE=Tayberry]I know what you mean. The 1st winter we were here we lived in t shirts and thought it was glorious, now we're shivering in fleeces with the rest of them !
It seemed to go bitterly cold overnight. One day it was too hot and now it's just too cold !!
Old Apr 27th 2005, 6:47 am
Forum Regular

Cassa has a spectacular aura aboutCassa has a spectacular aura aboutCassa has a spectacular aura about

[QUOTE=xpat19]
Originally Posted by Tayberry
I know what you mean. The 1st winter we were here we lived in t shirts and thought it was glorious, now we're shivering in fleeces with the rest of them !
It seemed to go bitterly cold overnight. One day it was too hot and now it's just too cold !!

I just said the same thing to my husband today that it went from Summer to winter over night!! Autumn is my most favourite time of the year so I am hoping that this is just a pretend winter we have and we will get some soon!