British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   First single/LP/CD bought?.........and when? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/first-single-lp-cd-bought-when-471105/)

jill1420 Aug 2nd 2007 11:35 pm

First single/LP/CD bought?.........and when?

Okay so ash has started the 80s threads and hes got me thinking.............first single I got?..................well I saved up I think abought 40 empty Golden Wonder Crisp bags and sent them away and got ...........Poison Ivy by the Lambrettas (it was quite catchy..........................Kenny Rogers - Coward of the County was also on selection:rofl:) think that was 1980. First single bought? Madness - Our House..................I remember going to Woolworths that day..............we were so easy pleased 1982. First LP? Now thats what I call Music (original) 1982?.................First CD's - Wilson Philips and Del Amitri.1990.

Back to 80s memories.................Re. Mike Reid dying (aka Frank Butcher Eastenders).................anyone remember Run..run..runaround (obviously being shouted in a deep, rough, cockney accent......................Brill:thumbsup:

garryhg Aug 2nd 2007 11:42 pm

Re: First single/LP/CD bought?.........and when?

hi jacky g here
first single i ever bought i think was haircut 100.....fantastic day

i remember we inherited a record player,it was a red box with a white stripe......and you had to put 2p on the needle arm to stop the record jumping...ah the good old days.....singing with hairbrush in mirror..

dazal Aug 3rd 2007 12:10 am

I'm not sure I want to admit to any of this, could be quite embarrassing but I was very young! My first record bought for me was by someone called Trini Lopez!!! and the first record I bought was Andy Williams.

I am not quite as old as these might suggest though!:rofl:

jill1420 Aug 3rd 2007 12:14 am

Originally Posted by garryhg (Post 5140896)
hi jacky g here
first single i ever bought i think was haircut 100.....fantastic day

i remember we inherited a record player,it was a red box with a white stripe......and you had to put 2p on the needle arm to stop the record jumping...ah the good old days.....singing with hairbrush in mirror..

I can still hear the sound of a record playing................all the crackles and jumps................remember the fluff clogging on the needle? Or did I just have a dusty house:rofl: Yip and I did the hairbrush singing too...............no singstar for us:rofl:

P2L Aug 3rd 2007 1:44 am

Donny Osmond - Puppy Love :o:o:o

Still know all the words :eek:

dash1965 Aug 3rd 2007 2:47 am

First Single - The Lotus Eaters - First Picture of You (Early 1980's)
First Album - The Human League - Dare 1981
First CD - Depeche Mode - Enjoy the Silence (2 years before I had a CD player:o) 1990

kiwi_child Aug 3rd 2007 3:47 am

First LP: The Beatles "Let It Be" 1970. I had picked the winners of a double that my nan put on for me. It paid $38 for a 50c outlay. I only saw $10 of it though :frown::sneaky: But from that I got the record.

I was never much of a collector of 45's, preferring the LP's instead. My first album on CD was Bob Dylan's "Masterpieces". I got that early 90s (had had it on vinyl before then.)

danny.f Aug 3rd 2007 4:27 am

Pass de dutchy by some family type band,or it might have been Pink Floyd-Brick in the Wall.

RobClubley Aug 3rd 2007 4:35 am

First single - A Good Heart by Feargal Sharkey. Mmm, vinyl. Still have it somewhere!
Couldn't name my first album or CD though

AnnieNell Aug 3rd 2007 5:45 am

The first single I bought was Bohemian Rhapsody - Queen in 1975. I got it from John Menzies in St.Helens for 45p. I think that shows great taste for a 10 year old but then I'm biased :lol:.

My first LP was Abba's greatest hits, bought in 1975/6 period I think.

dash1965 Aug 3rd 2007 6:28 am

Originally Posted by danny.f (Post 5141536)
Pass de dutchy by some family type band,or it might have been Pink Floyd-Brick in the Wall.

Musical Youth sang Pass de Dutchy;)

Am Loolah Aug 3rd 2007 6:40 am

Originally Posted by dash1965 (Post 5141847)
Musical Youth sang Pass de Dutchy;)

Elvis - Greatest Love Songs
Closely followed by the Grease Double LP!:thumbsup:

Boopy Aug 3rd 2007 6:46 am

LP - Jimi Hendrix - Experience

Herm Aug 3rd 2007 8:03 am

Originally Posted by Boopy (Post 5141902)
LP - Jimi Hendrix - Experience

Ballad of Bonnie and Clyde - was it Georgie Fame??? Anybody know???

KIRSTIE Aug 3rd 2007 8:15 am

hi everyone

my first singe was by Toyah, sorry cannot remember the name but i remember her hair on the front was all multicoloured, and my first album was by spandau ballet, closely followed by ultravox.
i cannot remember what my first cd was,
singing in mirror has just reminded me of me and some friends making up dances to the songs,, now that was a long time ago :rofl:

with regards

kirstie