Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Finally things coming together. Always looking on the bright side

Finally things coming together. Always looking on the bright side

Old Sep 22nd 2010, 9:40 am
Just Joined

dave8217 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Finally things coming together. Always looking on the bright side

My family have been planning a move to NZ for the last 5 years. Annabel and I have a daughter and son, the son is going with us he is 17 years old but our daughter is staying she is 19 years old. My wife is the main applicant, she is a Occupational therapist and loves her job. We had planned the move for last year, both of us had jobs to go to. Then came the world recession, perfect timing, the company I was going to drive for informed me that they had to put my job on hold. This was a major blow as my job was going to be the biggest income. We decided to put the move on hold. Our visa runs out January 2012. We have to make the move next year 2011 for our son to get out with us. We have like many people had problems selling our house. We have reduced the asking price by £70,000 finally got a offer but this has fell threw as the start of the chain is unable to get a mortgage. We are now planning to rent our house until things pick up over here, and rent in NZ. Even if we did sell I do not think we would tranfer the money to NZ yet as the exchange rate is so poor. My wife has used this kind of forum before but this is the first time for me, but I do plan to make the most of it in the time from now until August 2011. Any fuel tanker drivers please contact me as any advice will be greatfully accepted.
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 11:57 am
Newbie in New Zealand

Nelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to all
Smile Re: Finally things coming together. Always looking on the bright side

Hi Dave welcome to the forum and best of luck with your plans. The path to emigration doesn't always run smoothly but it will be worth it when you achieve your goal.

Where are you hoping to head to?

Have you done a recce? I would strongly recommend this as I am amazed how many people just go over without checking the country out and then find it doeasn't meet their expectations.

Best wishes
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 12:29 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Finally things coming together. Always looking on the bright side

Originally Posted by Nelly Trolley
Hi Dave welcome to the forum and best of luck with your plans. The path to emigration doesn't always run smoothly but it will be worth it when you achieve your goal.

Where are you hoping to head to?

Have you done a recce? I would strongly recommend this as I am amazed how many people just go over without checking the country out and then find it doeasn't meet their expectations.

Best wishes
Hi Nelly,

Thanks for the reply, we are currently working on plan Z, ! !! as you say things are never straight forward and the plan is constantly changing ! I think it will be so worthwhile though once it actually happens.

I suppose as many who have looked into moving to NZ we know we are going to be worse off financially but it will be a small sacrifice for the lifestyle benefits !

We have done a few recce's to NZ and managed to experience 3 different seasons. We did our 2nd trip to NZ with Wanted Down Under and then earlier this year to activate our visa's. We are wanting to live in Auckland and are looking at west Auckland at present to maximise accessibility for jobs (and to avoid the harbour bridge !). I couldn't imagine going over blind, it is enough of a challenge with a good picture of things !

Thanks for the encouagement

Dave
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 1:00 pm
Forum Regular

BevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to allBevK is a name known to all

Originally Posted by dave8217
Hi Nelly,

Thanks for the reply, we are currently working on plan Z, ! !! as you say things are never straight forward and the plan is constantly changing ! I think it will be so worthwhile though once it actually happens.

I suppose as many who have looked into moving to NZ we know we are going to be worse off financially but it will be a small sacrifice for the lifestyle benefits !

We have done a few recce's to NZ and managed to experience 3 different seasons. We did our 2nd trip to NZ with Wanted Down Under and then earlier this year to activate our visa's. We are wanting to live in Auckland and are looking at west Auckland at present to maximise accessibility for jobs (and to avoid the harbour bridge !). I couldn't imagine going over blind, it is enough of a challenge with a good picture of things !

Thanks for the encouagement

Dave
Hi Dave,

I remember watching your episode on Wanted Down Under - a tough decision that you had to make. I can only imagine the turmoil you went through at the time, especially with your daughter, but it is obvious that you now have your mind set on moving to New Zealand. It is an opportunity of a lifetime as you well know, and sacrifices are inevitable but having had the chance to sample life down under more than once, you seem certain it is where you want to be. Good luck with the move. Hope everything works out for you

Bev
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 1:14 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BevK
Hi Dave,

I remember watching your episode on Wanted Down Under - a tough decision that you had to make. I can only imagine the turmoil you went through at the time, especially with your daughter, but it is obvious that you now have your mind set on moving to New Zealand. It is an opportunity of a lifetime as you well know, and sacrifices are inevitable but having had the chance to sample life down under more than once, you seem certain it is where you want to be. Good luck with the move. Hope everything works out for you

Bev
Hi Bev,

Thanks for the message. It was a difficult time especially for Annabel. We planned to make the move last year but due to the recession and unable to sell our house every thing fell apart and we had to put the move of for a year or two. Things are looking good for next year.

regards dave
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 8:21 pm
Newbie in New Zealand

Nelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to all

Hi Dave
yes I remember seeing you on Wanted Down Under. You your wife and son are keen on kite surfing if I recall correctly and other outdoor activities. NZ seemed to suit you all so well and I am thrilled that you haven't given up on your dreams - hang on in there!