The Filth Files

Old May 1st 2007, 8:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Lexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond repute
Default The Filth Files

There is this programme shown in the UK called The Filth Files, it is a show about NZ and the various authorities and the problems they face, it mainly covers the Auckland area and the countryside around, it is very good. It would be a good thing for anyone thinking of moving to NZ to watch as it shows what the houses are like, the streets and the problems the NZers are facing in terms of pollution etc.....

Today it was showing the authorities checking out farms, and I had not realised what a huge problem there was from the farming of cattle. The rivers are being polluted with the waste from these animals as it pools in the fields and then when it rains, joins into the rivers. Also the waste from the process of cleaning the sheep skins. YUK YUK YUK.....There is a process that is supposed to clean the water up before being put into the water but the guys working on the clean up said they would not swim in the rivers it was being put into.

Does anyone here work in that industry? Is it as bad as the authorities were making out (and those working in the factory)

(please before the UK haters start on me - I know the UK has terrible pollution problems but this is a forum about NZ - not the UK and I do not want attacked for posting something that is ABOUT NZ. This is not a PRO UK post just an information on NZ issues post)
Old May 1st 2007, 8:43 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Filth Files

Originally Posted by Lexylou
There is this programme shown in the UK called The Filth Files, it is a show about NZ and the various authorities and the problems they face, it mainly covers the Auckland area and the countryside around, it is very good. It would be a good thing for anyone thinking of moving to NZ to watch as it shows what the houses are like, the streets and the problems the NZers are facing in terms of pollution etc.....

Today it was showing the authorities checking out farms, and I had not realised what a huge problem there was from the farming of cattle. The rivers are being polluted with the waste from these animals as it pools in the fields and then when it rains, joins into the rivers. Also the waste from the process of cleaning the sheep skins. YUK YUK YUK.....There is a process that is supposed to clean the water up before being put into the water but the guys working on the clean up said they would not swim in the rivers it was being put into.

Does anyone here work in that industry? Is it as bad as the authorities were making out (and those working in the factory)

(please before the UK haters start on me - I know the UK has terrible pollution problems but this is a forum about NZ - not the UK and I do not want attacked for posting something that is ABOUT NZ. This is not a PRO UK post just an information on NZ issues post)

I remember watching a few episodes when we were still in England. They were investigating fast food places in Auckland. I decided there and then not to eat in Auckland. I know it it could have been anywhere, but it WAS there. Rats, maggots, birds and flies. EAT AT HOME PEOPLE!
Old May 1st 2007, 8:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Lexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by karonious
I remember watching a few episodes when we were still in England. They were investigating fast food places in Auckland. I decided there and then not to eat in Auckland. I know it it could have been anywhere, but it WAS there. Rats, maggots, birds and flies. EAT AT HOME PEOPLE!
yes I saw that one too. The best one was about the brothels though. I could not believe the filth!!!

Also about the zillions of cockroaches..... OMG.... all under the roads and streets in Auckland. I have never seen anything so horrid......
Old May 1st 2007, 8:47 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lexylou
yes I saw that one too. The best one was about the brothels though. I could not believe the filth!!!

Also about the zillions of cockroaches..... OMG.... all under the roads and streets in Auckland. I have never seen anything so horrid......
I'm not sure if it is an 'urban myth' or not but I have heard it said that in any city, you are never more than 5 metres away from a rat!!! AAAAAArrrrrgghhhhhh!!!. I hate them
Old May 1st 2007, 8:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by karonious
I'm not sure if it is an 'urban myth' or not but I have heard it said that in any city, you are never more than 5 metres away from a rat!!! AAAAAArrrrrgghhhhhh!!!. I hate them
No I think that is true. Edinburgh has a terrible rat problem and I heard you are no more than a foot away from one!

However lets keep this about NZ..... seems to always get back to the UK !!! (my fault this time)
Old May 1st 2007, 9:18 am
Forum Regular

soulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nice

One thing to remember is that these documentary makers will have been working to a 'remit' - in other words they'll go out looking for, film and then show only that which fits into their show.... don't think of these things as unbiased, uncensored reportage...

... and having said all that, i live in the middle of a farming community (I am actually surrounded on three sides of my house by the same farm which runs 'stock' (dry stock, or cowies for the plate...). It's a very close community, where everyone knows everyone, and has a very strong community 'bond' and loads of associations and what have you and there are no problems like that here. That may be because the farms are generally family owned and run, but there are a fair-few share milkers too.

That's only our experience, but Waipu has a couple of rivers and they are much loved and closely guarded, with lots of DOC involvement, and are perfectly clean and regularly fished! The only problems farmers have had recently was the discovery that people have taken out big areas of their maize plantings and substituted them with Mary-j, which in one case was subsequently fed to a load of cows which lead to a very confused vet....

Old May 1st 2007, 9:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by soulflour
One thing to remember is that these documentary makers will have been working to a 'remit' - in other words they'll go out looking for, film and then show only that which fits into their show.... don't think of these things as unbiased, uncensored reportage...

... and having said all that, i live in the middle of a farming community (I am actually surrounded on three sides of my house by the same farm which runs 'stock' (dry stock, or cowies for the plate...). It's a very close community, where everyone knows everyone, and has a very strong community 'bond' and loads of associations and what have you and there are no problems like that here. That may be because the farms are generally family owned and run, but there are a fair-few share milkers too.

That's only our experience, but Waipu has a couple of rivers and they are much loved and closely guarded, with lots of DOC involvement, and are perfectly clean and regularly fished! The only problems farmers have had recently was the discovery that people have taken out big areas of their maize plantings and substituted them with Mary-j, which in one case was subsequently fed to a load of cows which lead to a very confused vet....

I am aware that they go looking for it but the fact that they found it shows that it is there! I didn't say they were unbiased etc etc..... to me your post is just turing into another denial of anything neg about New Zealand.

So what you are saying then is that there is no problem in your area? Can you see that it might be in other areas?
Old May 1st 2007, 9:49 am
Forum Regular

soulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nice

oh gosh, i'm so sorry - i didn't mean to upset you! sorry
Old May 1st 2007, 9:55 am
BE Forum Addict

oh gosh, i'm so sorry - i didn't mean to upset you! sorry
you didnt upset me, I just posted something about the programme I watched and which showed the problems NZ is facing in terms of what to do wtih the waste from its two biggest industries, just like anywhere in the world, and you came back at me with saying that they had gone looking for it and that it just fits into their show. Their show actually showed the Kiwi authorities in a very good light and working hard to keep the country beautiful. It said about the stunning clean rivers but said that without continued work and finance that they wont stay like that as the industry is growing and the methods are very raw.
Old May 1st 2007, 10:00 am
Forum Regular

ok, sorry
Old May 1st 2007, 10:08 am
BE Forum Addict

ok, sorry
nothing to be sorry for Soulflour, its great you live in an area that they are working hard to keep their rivers etc clean. My kiwi husband is from a farming area in the North Island and I am aware of the moans the farmers have on the taxes they pay and of course the ridiculous fart tax that Helen brought in, having watched the programme I was just surprised at the level of pollution that the animals cause. I can see that it would be a huge issue if not dealt with correctly. A lot of the farmers I know from my DH neck of the woods are pretty rich. Big family farms. (they are now but went through awful times in the last decade and one before when the gov handouts were stopped) and I think that if the pollution is bad, from their live stock, then they should do more.
Old May 1st 2007, 10:39 am
Account Closed

cherry will become famous soon enoughcherry will become famous soon enough

WELCOME TO NEW ZEALAND THE LAND OF WHAT YOU MAKE IT

Did you seriously expect PARADISE ?

It`s great here but NOT PERFECT .Then where is ? .
I saw programmes way back on Sky in the UK and it still never put me off .Just eat at home or avoid TingTong Takeaways .
Old May 1st 2007, 10:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by cherry
WELCOME TO NEW ZEALAND THE LAND OF WHAT YOU MAKE IT

Did you seriously expect PARADISE ?

It`s great here but NOT PERFECT .Then where is ? .
I saw programmes way back on Sky in the UK and it still never put me off .Just eat at home or avoid TingTong Takeaways .
who are you aiming that at? I never mentioned anything about paradise! I don't think anyone did.
Old May 1st 2007, 10:47 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

TingTong takeaways?
Old May 1st 2007, 11:08 am
Just Joined

wimsy is an unknown quantity at this point

they need to do a show on the brothels in christchurch then, they look very dodgy!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.