Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

A few hundred new citizens in Auckland yesterday

A few hundred new citizens in Auckland yesterday

Old May 20th 2014, 8:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Clappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond repute
Default A few hundred new citizens in Auckland yesterday

One of them was me!

I have been here long enough and kept my nose clean enough to obtain citizenship, the ceremony was yesterday (myself and a few hundred others). So that is the final step done and dusted and I can concentrate with getting on with my life.

I realise that it is high time for me to provide an NZ Update thread with my thoughts over what has happened during the past five years and I will do that but I want to do it when I have the time to give it the attention that I think it deserves (I have a lot to say!).

The citizenship application process was straight-forward for me and took just over ten weeks from start to finish, most of the wait time was spent waiting for the ceremony.
Old May 20th 2014, 8:44 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A few hundred new citizens in Auckland yesterday

Congrats

will be the wait times for when we apply in a few years
Old May 20th 2014, 8:51 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Well done on the Citizenship. Looking forward to your update

I understand the mayor of our town does the citizenship ceremonies every 6 months.

However, as OP has mentioned it takes ten weeks from submitting the form to being advised when the ceremony is.

The turn around for ceremonies is probably quicker in Auckland as I guess they have more applications.

Last edited by Snap Shot; May 20th 2014 at 8:54 am. Reason: well done
Old May 21st 2014, 10:20 pm
Forum Regular

Kin1of2 is a name known to allKin1of2 is a name known to allKin1of2 is a name known to allKin1of2 is a name known to allKin1of2 is a name known to allKin1of2 is a name known to allKin1of2 is a name known to allKin1of2 is a name known to allKin1of2 is a name known to allKin1of2 is a name known to allKin1of2 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Clappy
One of them was me!

I have been here long enough and kept my nose clean enough to obtain citizenship, the ceremony was yesterday (myself and a few hundred others). So that is the final step done and dusted and I can concentrate with getting on with my life.

I realise that it is high time for me to provide an NZ Update thread with my thoughts over what has happened during the past five years and I will do that but I want to do it when I have the time to give it the attention that I think it deserves (I have a lot to say!).

The citizenship application process was straight-forward for me and took just over ten weeks from start to finish, most of the wait time was spent waiting for the ceremony.
Congratulations! I was there getting my citizenship too. Wonder where Len Brown was...
Old May 22nd 2014, 11:34 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Many congratulations Clappy & Kin1of2. It's a great feeling isn't it.
Old May 23rd 2014, 7:44 am
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats to you Clappy . Now you can show off your English and Maori anthems singing skills to your Kiwi mates :-)
Old May 23rd 2014, 10:00 pm
Forum Regular

Kin1of2 is a name known to allKin1of2 is a name known to allKin1of2 is a name known to allKin1of2 is a name known to allKin1of2 is a name known to allKin1of2 is a name known to allKin1of2 is a name known to allKin1of2 is a name known to allKin1of2 is a name known to allKin1of2 is a name known to allKin1of2 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
Many congratulations Clappy & Kin1of2. It's a great feeling isn't it.
Thanks Vitalstatistix! Yes great feeling and good excuse to celebrate at our favourite winery / restaurant on Waiheke
Old May 24th 2014, 7:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Clappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone.

I feel like I am no longer 'in the process of moving here', now 'I have moved here'.
Old May 26th 2014, 9:27 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

ok not really that important but did you get a memento ?
Old May 27th 2014, 8:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
ok not really that important but did you get a memento ?
No momento.

They did give a photographer's website address from where I can purchase pictures. I don't think I'll bother.
Old May 27th 2014, 9:50 am
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

Didn't you get a tree? We were given baby Kowhai trees.
Old May 28th 2014, 6:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cappuccino
Didn't you get a tree? We were given baby Kowhai trees.
The citizenship ceremonies are run by the local council so I would image that they vary from area to area.

I think that there were really too many of us there to attempt anything except a purely perfunctory ceremony.

I did receive a certificate and also a letter from Peter Dunne so it wasn't all for nothing!
Old May 28th 2014, 7:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Clappy
I did receive a certificate and also a letter from Peter Dunne so it wasn't all for nothing!
Well I guess you weren't going to get a congratulatory letter from Winston eh ?