Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

feeling anxious about the big move

feeling anxious about the big move

Old Nov 3rd 2014, 9:11 am
Forum Regular

suza712565 has a reputation beyond reputesuza712565 has a reputation beyond reputesuza712565 has a reputation beyond reputesuza712565 has a reputation beyond reputesuza712565 has a reputation beyond reputesuza712565 has a reputation beyond reputesuza712565 has a reputation beyond reputesuza712565 has a reputation beyond reputesuza712565 has a reputation beyond reputesuza712565 has a reputation beyond reputesuza712565 has a reputation beyond repute
Default feeling anxious about the big move

Hi. Anyone going over in January?
Old Nov 3rd 2014, 10:13 am
Nz

moving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: feeling anxious about the big move

You would be human if your weren't anxious
Old Nov 3rd 2014, 10:40 am
Forum Regular

suza712565 has a reputation beyond reputesuza712565 has a reputation beyond reputesuza712565 has a reputation beyond reputesuza712565 has a reputation beyond reputesuza712565 has a reputation beyond reputesuza712565 has a reputation beyond reputesuza712565 has a reputation beyond reputesuza712565 has a reputation beyond reputesuza712565 has a reputation beyond reputesuza712565 has a reputation beyond reputesuza712565 has a reputation beyond repute

So much still to do. Feeling extremely overwhelmed today
Old Nov 3rd 2014, 4:42 pm
Forum Regular

nikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond repute

I fly a month tomorrow... Main bulk of stuff is all sorted, found a few other things we wish we had shipped so currently organising that separately now. I feel more like i'm going on holiday... Still not sinking in!
Old Nov 3rd 2014, 5:51 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

very natural to be feeling that but you have an advantage that you are coming over and will have family support when you get here, from what you say on a previous post.
Old Nov 3rd 2014, 7:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute

Suza - perfectly normal for feelings thoughts to ebb and flow at what will feel like a thousand miles an hour, I'm sure. Thus confirming that you are human

I sat down an made of the list of things that were truly nagging at me and set about putting those things right in my mind - most of it came down to making sure I had a good one-on-one farewell with friends and family, eating at a few restaurants I love and seeing my Football before I left. And they won, 1-0.

All of this put me at ease with my move.

You might feel like you've got heaps to do, almost inevitably you will not get all of it done so an idea might be to prioritise your time.

In our case, we found that once we'd earmarked the stuff we were definitely taking the rest of the de-cluttering was taking up too much time and creating too many late nights! So we said to friends and family to come and grab anything they could use, no charge - the rest will go to the tip on such and such a date.

For us, the extra time spent doing other stuff was far more valuable than organising or car boot or garage sale for the sake of a few hundred quid.
Old Nov 3rd 2014, 7:32 pm
Nz

moving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TommyLuck
Suza - perfectly normal for feelings thoughts to ebb and flow at what will feel like a thousand miles an hour, I'm sure. Thus confirming that you are human

I sat down an made of the list of things that were truly nagging at me and set about putting those things right in my mind - most of it came down to making sure I had a good one-on-one farewell with friends and family, eating at a few restaurants I love and seeing my Football before I left. And they won, 1-0.

All of this put me at ease with my move.

You might feel like you've got heaps to do, almost inevitably you will not get all of it done so an idea might be to prioritise your time.

In our case, we found that once we'd earmarked the stuff we were definitely taking the rest of the de-cluttering was taking up too much time and creating too many late nights! So we said to friends and family to come and grab anything they could use, no charge - the rest will go to the tip on such and such a date.

For us, the extra time spent doing other stuff was far more valuable than organising or car boot or garage sale for the sake of a few hundred quid.
Lol that's exactly what we did. We said **** it and got rid of most of the house stuff for free or v cheap. I felt much better not surround by stuff I needed to sort. It's a weird feeling when u finally come out get a place n breathe lol you forget what it feels like
Old Nov 3rd 2014, 8:52 pm
Forum Regular

Should I be shipping things now? The problem we have is my husband is going first as has to start new job. He is staying with relatives. I go over when house has sold (hope asap) so if I ship everything over it leaves me with not a lot but can move in with parents and need to find somewhere for the things to go if husband is not in a rented house by then. How long does it take?

Thank you for all of your responses
Old Nov 3rd 2014, 9:05 pm
Forum Regular

nikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond repute

Our position was we sold our house and moved to my parents in May, husband moved over at the start of september and the last of our belongings picked up by shipping company at the same time. I've been living with the bare minimum but we haven't got children so not a problem. We have a house already, rented through his job, and our stuff should arrive in around 3 weeks now. We were told 12 weeks for shipping but has worked out will be nearer 8.
Fingers crossed it sells asap... We were lucky and had an offer 4 days after going on the market.
Old Nov 3rd 2014, 9:55 pm
Forum Regular

Wow that's brilliant how quickly you sold your house. We have had a nightmare with our estate agent so are going with another. I think the whole selling the house is causing the most stress.

Are you taking a car?
Old Nov 3rd 2014, 9:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't want to comment on when you need to ship as we left the UK and didn't arrive in NZ for 2 months, so we shipped about a week or so before we left and got our stuff about 6 weeks after arriving in NZ once we'd bought a place - so a totally different situation.

I should add that the shipment, like nikkijane above, actually took about 8 or 9 weeks to arrive even though we were quoted 12 to 15 weeks.

Through PSS we had a deal that allowed us to arrange for things to be held for a certain period of time in storage at no extra cost - can't remember specifics.
Old Nov 3rd 2014, 10:07 pm
Forum Regular

I have heard great things about PSS. Thank you I will look into that.
Old Nov 3rd 2014, 10:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by suza712565
I have heard great things about PSS. Thank you I will look into that.
Others have had bad experiences, but personally I can't fault them from the moment they sat down with us to discuss the options, to the day of packing our stuff and shipping it and dealing with NZ Van Lines at this end.

Take from that what you will.
Old Nov 3rd 2014, 11:45 pm
Nz

I went with Anglo pacific. Collect from uk address 10th July, boxes were in nz my 20th sept didn't get my things until 12th October.
Old Nov 4th 2014, 5:43 am
Forum Regular

We didn't take a car, husband bought one one he arrived out there. I think quite a few company's give free storage before shipping. Ours was meant to be for about 8 weeks but they had it doubke that and didn't charge us strangely! Not complaining though, was one good thing through white shipping company that we were actually happy with, local depot service wasn't great

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.