Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Farley's rusks for babies - more rare than gold dust!

Farley's rusks for babies - more rare than gold dust!

Old Nov 21st 2009, 3:47 am
Forum Regular

keeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud of
Default Farley's rusks for babies - more rare than gold dust!

My baby girl is just starting on solids now, and we really wanted to get her some rusks.... never envisaged this being a problem, til we trawled every supermarket & baby shop in Hamilton, NO WHERE to be found! All we could find were those teething rusks which are only designed for them to suck on & not mashed up with some milk like proper rusks.

Til a friend took me to a little lotto shop in Cambridge today that sells a small variety of english goodies like Walkers crisps, Yorkshire Tea (sooo tempted to buy some) Daddies brown sauce, McVities Chocolate Hob-nobs oooooooo..... quite a lot of stuff really. and Low and Behold - Heinz / Farley's rusks!!! WOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Cant believe it, the supermarkets cant get them, but a little lottery shop can! But, a tad expensive, $16. Bearing in mind they'd probably cost less than £2 or £3 back in UK. Oh well, I gave in & bought some, got to let my beautiful girl have some
Old Nov 21st 2009, 7:45 am
Forum Regular

padozwi has a brilliant futurepadozwi has a brilliant futurepadozwi has a brilliant futurepadozwi has a brilliant futurepadozwi has a brilliant futurepadozwi has a brilliant futurepadozwi has a brilliant futurepadozwi has a brilliant future
Smile Re: Farley's rusks for babies - more rare than gold dust!

That's a great little shop there in Cambridge isn't it?I always stock up on stuff there or if I'm going up to Auckland,the Pak n Save at Sylvia park has a little section of all english goodies.Rototuna New World also stock a couple of things like that as well
Old Nov 21st 2009, 9:32 am
BE Enthusiast

pricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Farley's rusks for babies - more rare than gold dust!

Ah yes...we all loved farley's rusk

My suggestion. Don't bother. She is not attached to them being just a few months. Just go without and feed her baby rice or baby porridge or some such thing
Old Nov 21st 2009, 7:39 pm
Forum Regular

Newfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud of
Wink Re: Farley's rusks for babies - more rare than gold dust!

The main supplier of english food to all supermarket and shops in nz including Sylvia park is a guy called Graham who runs and own The english corner shop based in Onehunga.

he has a website
www.theenglishcornershop.co.nz

It is not that far from Sylvia Park so if you are doing a trip to get english stuff wy not save a few dollars and bu direct from the importer. He has just had a few comtainers in over the last few weeks for xmas so he should be very well socked at the moment.

Alternatively he does post out stuff for a fee.

Hope that helps.
Old Nov 21st 2009, 11:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

RobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond repute

Ditto the above!
Farleys Rusks 18's $9.99
Old Nov 22nd 2009, 8:05 am
Forum Regular

keeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by padozwi
That's a great little shop there in Cambridge isn't it?I always stock up on stuff there or if I'm going up to Auckland,the Pak n Save at Sylvia park has a little section of all english goodies.Rototuna New World also stock a couple of things like that as well
thats just over the road from me - cant say ive seen rusks in there when i've been in.

"Farleys Rusks 18's $9.99" WOW gonna have to visit that place

Pricklykina - we werent going to, but she just isnt taken on baby rice & porridge. But now she's tried the rusks with her milk, oh yes she agrees with them lol.
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 7:29 am
Forum Regular

Newfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud ofNewfies has much to be proud of

Rototuna New World stock of english stuff is variable and it all comes from the english corner shop in Onehunga.

Whatch out for the stalker manager in New World won't you. I wont go there now for a main shop unless my hubby is with me. Much prefer the now COuntdown across the road oh and it is cheaper.
Old Nov 26th 2009, 6:14 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Newfies
Rototuna New World stock of english stuff is variable and it all comes from the english corner shop in Onehunga.

Whatch out for the stalker manager in New World won't you. I wont go there now for a main shop unless my hubby is with me. Much prefer the now COuntdown across the road oh and it is cheaper.
Stalker manager? oh do tell! anyway no one would be stalking me, trust me!
Old Nov 26th 2009, 6:38 am
BE Enthusiast

zaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to behold

My mum n dad flew in today ....armed with 4 packets of rusks for little john - you shouldve seen his face when he bit into his first ever rusk

...thanks for bringing this thread up - it reminded me of what to ask em to bring down ....................on top of Jammy Dodgers (4 packets), branston pickle (Mrs loves it) a bottle of angastoura bittas (to go with brandy - only a couple of quid vs $16 at the bottle shop), plus the Manchester Evening News
Old Nov 26th 2009, 11:38 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by keeny
Stalker manager? oh do tell! anyway no one would be stalking me, trust me!
I thought no one would stalk me but apparently so. On chatting to another friend she had been stalked an all. The one thing we had in common was blonde hair! Not sure if this was the deciding factor in his ideal woman to stalk, but all the check out girls new about his ways. I passed comment that whilst they were packing my bags and they rolled their eyes and said thats his normal. My fleeting last comment was 'am I going to get a helping hand loading shopping into my car'. Sure enough he came scurrying along like a lost lamb and assisted me in loading my car. Freaky man, he has a funny quiff at the front of his hair and appears to only work the afternoon shift.

Enjoy being stalked whilst you shop!
Old Nov 16th 2010, 12:21 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

I'm guessing rusks are less popular now because they contain such a high sugar content (29%). I wonder whether it is worth making your own.
Old Nov 17th 2010, 4:08 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by keeny
Pricklykina - we werent going to, but she just isnt taken on baby rice & porridge. But now she's tried the rusks with her milk, oh yes she agrees with them lol.
So she would, last time I looked they were full of crap and sugar

She's your kid and it's up to you but feeding babies sugary foods encourages them to develop a sweet tooth and fussy palate, which could later be much more of a headache for you and her. Your call though
Old Nov 17th 2010, 4:15 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Newfies
Watch out for the stalker manager in New World won't you. I wont go there now for a main shop unless my hubby is with me.
Waaahhh ! You get karma for that. It;s conjured up all sorts of images. Am cracked up over my keyboard here.

Buggered if I am ever going near the place though.
Old Nov 17th 2010, 4:21 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by jmh
I'm guessing rusks are less popular now because they contain such a high sugar content (29%). I wonder whether it is worth making your own.
Is that a relatively new thing ? I know we were given rusks as babes and kids for that matter but none of us have a sweet tooth at all, nor have any of us ever had major probs with our teeth.
Unlike husbands family who were given 'pop', crisps, jelly etc as kids and all have had major tooth rot. These things are something we were never given.

Thinking about this. Perhaps it is about moderation and general diet.
Old Nov 17th 2010, 5:45 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Well, rusks date back to times when the sorts of additives in them now wouldn't have existed and most babies would have benefited from the extra calories. Also, they are probably a lot sweeter than 'back in the day'. My Gran used to give them to us- they were LUSH! But you wouldn't give a baby a jammie dodger and I don't think there's much difference! Anyways, up to the OP and the English shop here seems to do a roaring trade so plenty of expat babes must be gumming down on them

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.