Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Family entering NZ on different passports?

Family entering NZ on different passports?

Old Aug 3rd 2016, 11:51 pm
Forum Regular

maquis is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Family entering NZ on different passports?

Finally booked our flights, eeeeeek! We have one way flights, with two of us travelling on NZ passports, one NZ permanent resident on British passport, and two (NZ-born kids) on British passports. We're stopping over in the US en route.

Are we going to have any hassles immigration-wise at any point, due to one way flights and two kids on Brit passports? Should I renew their NZ passports?
Old Aug 4th 2016, 2:27 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Family entering NZ on different passports?

you will may need to gain ESTA for the stop over in USA for everyone and the only problem maybe the kids coming on British passports without a valid visa in them to state they are entitled to enter and remain.
Old Aug 4th 2016, 4:50 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by maquis
...Should I renew their NZ passports?
You will have to prove the kids have right of residence at some point so renewing their NZ passports would seems the best case IMHO.

Once you let a visa stamp with an expiry date get in their Brit passports it will be inherently difficult for them to re-enter NZ on that passport as it may flag up as overstayed in the future...not worth the potential hassle in my view.
Old Aug 4th 2016, 6:27 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Finally booked our flights, eeeeeek! We have one way flights, with two of us travelling on NZ passports, one NZ permanent resident on British passport, and two (NZ-born kids) on British passports. We're stopping over in the US en route.

Are we going to have any hassles immigration-wise at any point, due to one way flights and two kids on Brit passports? Should I renew their NZ passports?
Unless you can show a valid NZ visa or passport for the kids they may not be allowed even to check in - the airline will need to be satisfied that NZ will accept them at Immigration the other end.
Old Aug 4th 2016, 9:42 am
Forum Regular

Well, I guess it wouldn't be a family trip without a passport panic!

Thanks, will get their NZ ones renewed.
Old Aug 5th 2016, 2:54 pm
Forum Regular

Lisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of light

Well, I guess it wouldn't be a family trip without a passport panic!

Thanks, will get their NZ ones renewed.
For what its worth NZ House in London process the renewals very quickly, I got mine back in a couple of weeks (slightly less than).
Old Aug 5th 2016, 3:07 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks, that's good to know! They were extremely efficient dealing with a citizenship + passport application for my youngest a couple of years ago, so not panicking too much