Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

FA Premiership Coverage - Petition

FA Premiership Coverage - Petition

Old Sep 2nd 2014, 7:30 am
Forum Regular

grantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to all
Default FA Premiership Coverage - Petition

Hi,

If you feel Sky NZ should be trying harder to get the rights for the English FA premiership football, then please sign the below petition.

We are fed up with spending hard earned cash to see no live football on any of the 7 sky sports channels!

The only way sky will try harder to win the rights is if we all sign this and get them to listen!

https://www.change.org/p/sky-tv-new-...ship-coverage#
Old Sep 2nd 2014, 12:16 pm
Forum Regular

TheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: FA Premiership Coverage - Petition

Small audience Grant.

Sign up for Premier League Pass for $149 for the season and buy a HDMI cable to plug into your telly.

You can watch any game any time.

The future of TV is streaming and online !
Old Sep 2nd 2014, 11:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute

Sky having the rights is a terrible thing, as Cockney says the future isn't Sky. Broadcast TV is on it's way out, Satellite TV is very 1990's. If Sky got the right's I'd have to pay a fortune to get Sky installed and I'd have channels and channels of stuff I don't want to watch but would be forced to pay for.

I tried the Premiership Pass last Saturday for the Burnley v Manchester United match as I was given a free weeks trial. I was very impressed. It looked great on my big TV and steaming wasn;t an issue even though I've still got ADSL broadband. $149 to be able to watch every single match live is an amazing bargain, you can even watch 4 matches at once if you want.

People in the rest of the world would be amazed at how good and cheap Premier Pass is, it's the future of live sports.

With this and the success of Sommet Sports shows there's a real thirst for football in this country. Leave the backwards Rugby lot paying through their arses for a smattering of live matches on Sky.
Old Sep 3rd 2014, 12:32 am
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute

I've seen it reported that cancellation rates of Sky subscriptions on the back of no Premier League Football rights (but rights with individual clubs) are in the decimal percentages. So there's no real incentive, commercially speaking, for Sky to throw some cash at Premier League rights.

I can't see it happening to be honest.

I'm a bit "meh" about Premier League Football.

It's coincided with an indifference about top level Football in Europe where, aside form the League Cup, the same teams are winning trophies all of the time. It's a bit samey.

My own team, Spurs, are basically buying and selling players to stay competitive in monetary terms. But the financial risks of ploughing a heap of cash into a bid for sustained Champions League football is a massive gamble. Notwithstanding the fact that Spurs aren't going to attract the very best players from across the globe - Spurs best players are going to Man Utd and Real Madrid, the deadwood is going to Hull City at the moment!

It's all a bit disheartening, not just Spurs but Football in general.

I'm quite happy following Premier League Football through BBC Sport and the moaning, ridiculing and gloating of people on social media.

With all this said, right now $150 doesn't represent good value to watch a bunch of Football matches and have to bugger about linking laptops or tablet devices to my TV screen each week just to watch a game of Football. It just sounds like hassle I can't be bothered with. I'll get fed up with it and wont bother after a while thus wasting my subscription.

I'm aware of options such as Apple TV/AirPlay, but that is further expense that I'm just not seeing the value in that either.

I'd probably pay $150 for a Coliseum Channel through Sky, for example, that gave me access to games "as live", through the red button perhaps. I'd even pay that for extended highlights, rather than the full 90 minutes.

As it is, for me, the experience of live streaming has to be vastly improved before I open my wallet. I.e. Very little weekly "set up" required on my part to watch the coverage through the comfort of a TV screen and not on a pokey screen.

I'm happy to "get with the times" so long as I can just use a remote control and not having to invest in further technology, cables and the like.

That said, we'll see how I go as the NRL and Rugby begins to wind down. The sporting summer here is a bit bare from a spectators perspective. But then, I could always get out and about, play some of my own sport or find leisure pursuits and use time that might be spent plugging in cables, buffering and getting angry with internet speeds in other ways.

Last edited by TommyLuck; Sep 3rd 2014 at 1:05 am.
Old Sep 3rd 2014, 2:03 am
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TommyLuck
I'm happy to "get with the times" so long as I can just use a remote control and not having to invest in further technology, cables and the like.
Premier Pass works with some Smart TV's, it'd work on mine if I'd not changed the country mode to the UK so I can access BBCiPlayer Netflix etc. Plus it streams in HD so the quality is very good if your connection can handle HD.
Old Sep 3rd 2014, 2:15 am
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by barnsleymat
Premier Pass works with some Smart TV's, it'd work on mine if I'd not changed the country mode to the UK so I can access BBCiPlayer Netflix etc. Plus it streams in HD so the quality is very good if your connection can handle HD.
Cheers Mat - I have noted your recent posts about your Smart TV with interest.

This will certainly be a consideration when a new TV is required, or we upgrade to a big enough house to warrant an additional TV.