Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Expat UK house insurance

Expat UK house insurance

Old Jan 24th 2012, 7:30 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Expat UK house insurance

Hi

My insurance on my UK house is up for renewal and I notice that it says I must be resident in the UK for a certain number of days, which I won't be. Any recommendations for expat house insurance? House is rented out so it's landlords insurance I need. My agent has sent me a brochure for Endsleigh.

Last edited by jmh; Jan 24th 2012 at 7:33 pm.
Old Jan 24th 2012, 8:09 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Expat UK house insurance

I just did this last week; our house insurance (with the Halifax as we had our mortgage with them) on our house which we rent out in the UK expired on Christmas Day and I'd forgotten to renew it.

We only insure for buildings only + subsidence cover and the Halifax quote seemed a bit high even with a 15% no claims bonus - we've never made a claim in over 20 years. I read an English newspaper over the Christmas hols (either the Daily Telegraph or the Daily Mail) and it said that for house insurance, it's best to get a price comparison each year.

I went on to Moneysupermaket.com and phoned up 2 insurers (via Skype).

"Legal & General" came in with a very similar quote as the Halifax, and one insurer called "More Than" - came in 200 pounds lower for the same coverage and deductible (we have 100 pounds deductible) for any claims. Naturally we took out the insurance with 'More Than'

http://www.moneysupermarket.com/landlord-insurance/

(Post back - it would be interesting to see how you get on!)
PPS: "More Than" were fine as we have an estate agency collecting the rent and vetting the tenants, although we've had the same ones for 8 years. L&G wanted proof that the letting agency had done a credit search with the tenants through a credit reference agency eg. Experian, Equifax before allowing the tenants to move in. I've just found out today that our estate agency never did this, they just did employers and bank references! Both L&G and More Than were aware that I'm resident overseas full time and certainly there is/was no requirement for my spouse or myself to be resident in the UK for a certain no. of days each year. By the way, Endsleigh are primarily an insurance company for university students - do you let your property out to students yourself?

Last edited by Englishmum; Jan 24th 2012 at 8:14 pm.
Old Jan 24th 2012, 11:28 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Expat UK house insurance

No not to students. The agent does credit checks etc, so all up front and legit. Thanks for the suggestions.