Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Expat with NZ passport - Please help

Expat with NZ passport - Please help

Old Jul 28th 2007, 6:02 am
Non-addicted member!

garrisondamn will become famous soon enoughgarrisondamn will become famous soon enough
Default Expat with NZ passport - Please help

Hi all, this is a strange question I know, I have just got my Kiwi passport after being here (NZ)for 4 years.
Unfortunately, I have to travel back to the UK urgently for an unknown period, due to family issues.
I may have to find work in UK while I am there, to support my family here in NZ while I am gone, but, can I enter back into the UK on my new NZ passport and work as a British Citizen (which I am also) or will I need to re-apply for my UK passport?

I don't want to go to the expense of getting my UK one renewed if I don't have to, also I may want to get a one-way ticket, as I don't know how long I will be away from NZ.

Anyone been in a similar siuation?

Thanks guys.
Old Jul 28th 2007, 4:26 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Expat with NZ passport - Please help

Originally Posted by garrisondamn
Hi all, this is a strange question I know, I have just got my Kiwi passport after being here (NZ)for 4 years.
Unfortunately, I have to travel back to the UK urgently for an unknown period, due to family issues.
I may have to find work in UK while I am there, to support my family here in NZ while I am gone, but, can I enter back into the UK on my new NZ passport and work as a British Citizen (which I am also) or will I need to re-apply for my UK passport?

I don't want to go to the expense of getting my UK one renewed if I don't have to, also I may want to get a one-way ticket, as I don't know how long I will be away from NZ.
Short answer : If you are planning to live in the UK, get a British passport.

Longer answer : If you are really planning a vacation, and get a return ticket, you can be admitted as a visitor on your New Zealand passport. You could then stay longer if you wished despite a stamp to the contrary in your NZ passport.

If you want to live in the UK, you'd need a British passport as otherwise you would face difficulties re-entering every time you leave, eg if you travel to the continent for the weekend.