Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Exchange Rate (again)

Exchange Rate (again)

Old Sep 16th 2009, 6:03 am
Forum Regular

zoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nice
Default Exchange Rate (again)

2.32!!!!!!!
Old Sep 16th 2009, 10:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Exchange Rate (again)

Originally Posted by zoglet
2.32!!!!!!!
Yes, the ridiculous strength of the kiwi coupled with the GBP in apparent death throws makes pretty ugly stuff aye? as usual all our wedge is in the wrong place earning no interest. It has to change soon or Nz exports are dead..as is tourism in NZ. The madly strong kiwi is very, very bad news for NZ..and there's talk that the Reserve bank should be hiking rates to stop a housing bubble........shall we see $2 for a GBP???? I am doing nothing and if it takes 6 years to get back to 2.7 I will wait. Lost way too much of late in other areas of my life to take another big hit. Softly, softly catchee monkey. Its a waiting game for those who are not in need of funds for housing.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 10:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Numptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond repute

Oh God, that is so bad for us about to move out. It will be so hard judging how much to change into NZ. The bare minimum I guess. We are going to rent for at least 6 months, so hope it improves in time for that
Old Sep 16th 2009, 10:54 am
BE Enthusiast

teambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Genesis
Nz exports are dead..as is tourism in NZ. The madly strong kiwi is very, very bad news for NZ..
I really don't see 2.32 as being the end for tourism as even at 2.00 NZ is still cheap for those travelling from other countries.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 1:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

whitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to behold

Yep, it's bad, very bad. But it's a waiting game and things change. So, we'll just have to lie low and hope for a change in the not too distant future.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 6:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

alchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of light

Just something else to add to my list of things going against us
Old Sep 16th 2009, 8:37 pm
Forum Regular

zoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nice

One of the things that is annoying about this is that I see no difference on the price of imported goods in the shops here. Whisky for example, or cheese from the Uk show no change in price.

As ever, it appears the only people to benefit from these situations are the bigboys!
Old Sep 16th 2009, 11:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zoglet
One of the things that is annoying about this is that I see no difference on the price of imported goods in the shops here. Whisky for example, or cheese from the Uk show no change in price.

As ever, it appears the only people to benefit from these situations are the bigboys!
As usual aye? the dice is always loaded agin us. Why are ALL my debts totally and utterly enforcable when the like of the Hanover owners and others alike can walk away from their fiscal responsibilities. I know its all about limited companies etc but it is always us who has to pay everything we owe. They dont and it really pisses me off. When I screw up something I always pay for it in one way or another...they rarely do. Rant over.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 11:52 pm
Cow on the Beach

Wooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis
As usual aye? the dice is always loaded agin us. Why are ALL my debts totally and utterly enforcable when the like of the Hanover owners and others alike can walk away from their fiscal responsibilities. I know its all about limited companies etc but it is always us who has to pay everything we owe. They dont and it really pisses me off. When I screw up something I always pay for it in one way or another...they rarely do. Rant over.
....and unless I'm mistaken shouldn't petrol prices be down too as oil is paid for in US$.....

...lowest level against the pound for 12 years....well that's put our house purchase on hold - luckily we had found two houses ...one that looked like a 'leaky home' candidate and one that was a bit small .....now just cross fingers our landlord will let us stay longer...the kids love it in the rental anyway....and of course that house prices don't spike up....

...with regards to the latter do people think that the exchange rate will stop inward investment in houses and so keep a lid on prices...or am I just hoping !
Old Sep 17th 2009, 3:15 am
Enjoying retirement

NakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to behold

Where will it all stop? $2 to the Pound, and Parity with the US$ ?

Sooner or later something will have to give.

The fruit industry are already ripping up orchards.

Once the tourists stop coming, the lamb and beef industry collapses and the dairy industry dries up, thats when the s**t will REALLY hit the fan.
Old Sep 17th 2009, 3:18 am
BE Enthusiast

zaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to behold

I really don't see 2.32 as being the end for tourism as even at 2.00 NZ is still cheap for those travelling from other countries.
3 pound a handle? cheap? - thats what it equates to..........or 3.50 GBP if it went to $2.

Whoever says its cheap here has more money than sense
Old Sep 17th 2009, 4:34 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by zaras dad

Yeah to that!

But still, I like it here!
Old Sep 17th 2009, 6:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

Its gonna balls us right up buying a house

Neil
Old Sep 17th 2009, 7:00 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by zaras dad

Mate. You get karma. That is so true.
Old Sep 17th 2009, 7:41 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil
Its gonna balls us right up buying a house

Neil
Same here-our plans have been shelved for the foreseeable!

Perhaps someone should start a poll asking how people are being effected by the high dollar in terms of their spending plans. I would- but I dont know how!
Might make for an interesting snapshot of migrant behaviour.