EWRB

Old Apr 2nd 2009, 10:18 am
Just Joined

alexjake253 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default EWRB

Hi everyone can you help.

My family and i are looking to get over to NZ before the end of the year we have sold up and i just need to get the last bits in place, so can anyone help me withsome bits.

1 can i get any EWRB courses over here in the uk.

2 i need a job

Gav
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 12:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

alchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: EWRB

Originally Posted by alexjake253
3 posts
Hi Gav.

Am I right in thinking you had had your quals assesed by EWRB? If thats so you have to do what exams they state in NZ. You can take a Health and Safety course here in London to enable you- with a job offer to get your provisional licence.
Hubby is an electrician so any questions feel free to ask away.
Chris
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 12:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

alchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by alchris
Hi Gav.

Am I right in thinking you had had your quals assesed by EWRB? If thats so you have to do what exams they state in NZ. You can take a Health and Safety course here in London to enable you- with a job offer to get your provisional licence.
Hubby is an electrician so any questions feel free to ask away.
Chris
Sorry just saw your second question. With a job offer and your Provisional you will be granted PR, but providing you have enough points without one you, like us will be given a WTR then once in NZ with a job and Provisional you will get your PR(within a timescale) As you are already ready to go and dont have a job offer WTR would be fine for you and your family.; The health and safety course I believe has just been done in London and I dont think they do it again for another 6 months. But have been told its alot cheaper to do in NZ.
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 9:20 pm
Forum Regular

Soppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud of

The only course you can do in the UK, as Alchris has said, is the Health and Safety course. From memory its $80 to do it in NZ and £300 in the UK.

The other courses which you will need to do can only be taken in NZ. If your quals have been assessed and you've been exempt stages 1 and 2 then you should only need to do the regs exam and the stage 3 practical assessment. These courses are run twice yearly in June and November.

My OH is also an electrician and we completed the move last August. We also came out on the skilled migrant WTR because OH didn't have his provisional licence (although he did before we left the UK but by then it was too late to change anything).

Any questions, please feel free to ask - the EWRB is an absolute minefield as many will tell you (which is a good thing - less chance of cowboys getting thru) ...

Regarding your 2nd question, have you contacted any recruitment agencies? Have you looked on seek.co.nz?

Last edited by Soppydot4; Apr 2nd 2009 at 9:22 pm. Reason: Forgot to reply to 2nd question (Doh!)
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 4:14 am
Who loves you, baby?

sparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Soppydot4
The only course you can do in the UK, as Alchris has said, is the Health and Safety course. From memory its $80 to do it in NZ and £300 in the UK.

The other courses which you will need to do can only be taken in NZ. If your quals have been assessed and you've been exempt stages 1 and 2 then you should only need to do the regs exam and the stage 3 practical assessment. These courses are run twice yearly in June and November.

My OH is also an electrician and we completed the move last August. We also came out on the skilled migrant WTR because OH didn't have his provisional licence (although he did before we left the UK but by then it was too late to change anything).

Any questions, please feel free to ask - the EWRB is an absolute minefield as many will tell you (which is a good thing - less chance of cowboys getting thru) ...

Regarding your 2nd question, have you contacted any recruitment agencies? Have you looked on seek.co.nz?
Hi Alex, i'll just double up on what's been said here really. Nick somebody - nice bloke - but on to a real earner, runs the safe working practices and first aid in NZ house. Not sure if it's once or twice a year, but it's MEGA bucks when compared to doing it over here.

EWRB are a bunch of wa**ers:curse:. It comes under the housing department of NZ government - nuff said. They can be a utter nightmare to work with as they have no knowledge of anything electrical, other than the toothbrush they use in the morning! The actual 'board' are a bunch of very clued up sparkies - but you'll never get to deal with them:curse:

Be prepared for stupid questions and always remember this - they don't know you from a pot of jam, (thence the stupid questions), and they work for the government. They love paper, feed it to them till they burst.

As for work, best of luck mate. Small country in a down turn, Guess what it's like.

Check out TradeMe for an idea. Oh and wages are falling like the autumn leafs.

Oh and be prepared for some shocking workmanship here
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 5:50 am
Just Joined

alexjake253 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everone top info.

I wasnt aware that i had to get my Quals assesed by the EWRB i was under the impression that it was like doing the regs then you registered like JIB, thought it was straight forward do you have to have the registration to do any electrical work because i'm not a installation electrician i'm a maintenance/ electrical engineer so i usually work on LV circuits lots of DC .

Also im coming over on a tourist visa thingy so i can stop for 6 months because i haven't got enough points without a job offer and then apply for the visa's when i get a job?? if i get a job any advice on that front.
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 6:40 pm
Who loves you, baby?

sparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alexjake253
Thanks everone top info.

I wasnt aware that i had to get my Quals assesed by the EWRB i was under the impression that it was like doing the regs then you registered like JIB, thought it was straight forward do you have to have the registration to do any electrical work because i'm not a installation electrician i'm a maintenance/ electrical engineer so i usually work on LV circuits lots of DC .

Also im coming over on a tourist visa thingy so i can stop for 6 months because i haven't got enough points without a job offer and then apply for the visa's when i get a job?? if i get a job any advice on that front.
To earn money or goods or love even from working as an electrician you MUST have a current practising licence. DONT and you will be in shit so deep you've never come to the top.
cant emphasize that enough.

To get a current practising licence you need to have registration.

To get registered you will need to at very best pass the regs exam and stage 3. If the EWRB don't think you are experienced enough then you might end up having to re-do your 4 year apprenticeship or anywhere inbetween.

The EWRB don't assess your qual's other than look at them and compare them to a list they have which they consider to be acceptable. If your aren't on that list then prepare for a long slog it getting a non electrical person to understand what it is you have.

Hope that helps

But remember no CURRENT PRACTISING LICENCE = NO WORK
Old Apr 4th 2009, 12:35 am
Forum Regular

Soppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud of

You may be able to hold a provisional licence. This entitles you to do electricial work but under supervision. In order to get your provisional licence you'll need:-

1. Qualifications EWRB deem suitable
2. H&S and safe working practices certificate
3. Employer

You can only get registration once you've completed the regs exam and practical assessment (and any others they deem appropriate). Once you get registration you'll get a practicising licence which needs to be renewed every year at the end of June.

As Sparkie down under says no licence no work.
Old Apr 6th 2009, 4:43 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

From the NZIS website HERE.
It shows a contact email for Nick Chandler.

New Zealand Electrical Safety Tuition Course
Thursday, 29 January 2009

Nick Chandler of Chandler Consulting Limited will be returning to London during the week of 16 March 2009 to run more electrical safety tuition courses.

The one day courses will begin on Monday 16 March and run until Friday 20 March. The course lasts for approximately 8 hours and the completion of this course is required for all electricians, electrical, electronic and refrigeration service persons, line mechanics and cable jointers who wish to obtain a New Zealand Electrical Provisional Licence and who are applying for Residency.

Course Content
Introduction

Briefing on NZ Electricity Regulations and Electricity Supply Systems (TNCS multiple earthed neutral)

Requirements for Provisional Licences and for obtaining an Electrical Practising Licence

Supervision Guidelines for Provisional Licences (and completion of documentation)

Safe Work Practices (relevant to electrical work)

Basic First Aid (relevant to electrical work)

CPR (Cardio-Pulmonary Resuscitation)

Testing to Ensure Safety (including electrical certificate of compliance)

Issue of Certificates (Electrical Workers Registration Board Safety Training Card EWLG 632 & 632A)

General information and questions (as required)

A CD containing the current versions of the Electricity Act, Electricity Regulations, codes of practice, previous exam papers and other documentation will be supplied.

Further information and bookings for the course can be obtained from Nick, via email at: [email protected].
EWRB Info for the overseas sparky can be downloaded. Please check the LINK HERE