Ethnicicity

Old Jul 20th 2010, 5:01 pm
Near the outer fringe

JohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ethnicicity

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
I agree with this.
I agree too, except that I don't think being born somewhere can in any way be equated with 'earning' something. You don't even choose it.

Of course I would say that, because my birthplace is irrelevant to my culture, my location, my nationality and my genetic heritage!
Old Jul 20th 2010, 9:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

londonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by WhingingPom
I agree too, except that I don't think being born somewhere can in any way be equated with 'earning' something. You don't even choose it.

Of course I would say that, because my birthplace is irrelevant to my culture, my location, my nationality and my genetic heritage!
I hear ya! I was born in UAE......and when we moved to Devon people were like ooh well does that make you Arabic?! Ah well it was the early 90s and a different cultural attitude then (or maybe not but let's not go down that road )

Going through US immigration a couple of years ago (and you know how they treat EVERYONE as a potential security threat/illiegal immigrant case), after scrutinising my passport for 5 minutes and looking at every single stamp then asked me WHY I was born in UAE?! It was soooo hard to not come back with a totally flippant answer that would have probably seen me on a plane straight back to the UK

A passport does not make the person....
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 3:51 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Ethnicicity

We are all 99.99% the same in terms of the nucleotides that make us (so there is almost no difference in genetic heritage, it’s all learned). Which is why we should strive to treat people with an equality and fairness befitting a modern country, being inclusive rather than segregating society as having different needs. In the big picture all humans have the same needs and strive in their own ways to provide for themselves and their families .
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 11:11 am
Near the outer fringe

JohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond repute

Ello!

I was wondering where you were

You've been a bit quiet lately...

WP
Old Jul 25th 2010, 9:25 pm
Account Closed

Yotty is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Ethnicicity.

[QUOTE=Kiwilass;8712888]re: Maori, anyone who has any blood even if it's generations back can call themselves Maori. I've met some very blonde and blue eyed Maoris

the UK? My pakeha friends and I used to talk about being "the usual" which meant a mixture of English, Scots, Irish, <insert name of part of the British Isles here>. I like Pakeha because being born & bred Kiwi I'm not really the same as someone from the UK, even if I'm ethnically the same.

I know a lot of people don't like the term Pakeha. .

As an aside, was having a chat on the weekend to some expats, and they were saying how in actual fact most of the men of the British Isles have the same y chromosome markers as teh Basques. So ethnically, does that make us all Basques then? .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................. I was in CHC a few years back. Had a Scots mate with a Maori girlfriend. She wasn't dark enough to be accepted by the Ngai Tahu. .
Old Jul 26th 2010, 9:09 am
BE Enthusiast

pricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond repute

Several people have said that i'm a kiwi now cos I've been here a long time.
But that's in Auckland. I do think that people here are a bit more accepting. That's my experience. I rarely get called a pom

I identify as English. That is my chosen ethnicity.
My daughter and partner identify as pakeha.

funny thing. People here accept that I am english.
People in the UK often did not and tried to categorise me as afro caribbean / West Indian / black etc. Here people accept me as I choose to define myself.
I had to move away from my homeland to be accepted as from my homeland.

No one here EVER asks "but where are you really from" or"but where are you parents from"

As for being Maori, or any ethnicity
In New Zealand ethnicity is personally defines so if you idenitify as Klingon that's OK

Oh and the Maori / UK passport thing does not happen these days.
Old Jul 26th 2010, 10:08 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ethnicicity.

[QUOTE=Yotty;8727689]
re: Maori, anyone who has any blood even if it's generations back can call themselves Maori. I've met some very blonde and blue eyed Maoris

the UK? My pakeha friends and I used to talk about being "the usual" which meant a mixture of English, Scots, Irish, <insert name of part of the British Isles here>. I like Pakeha because being born & bred Kiwi I'm not really the same as someone from the UK, even if I'm ethnically the same.

I know a lot of people don't like the term Pakeha. .

As an aside, was having a chat on the weekend to some expats, and they were saying how in actual fact most of the men of the British Isles have the same y chromosome markers as teh Basques. So ethnically, does that make us all Basques then? .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................. I was in CHC a few years back. Had a Scots mate with a Maori girlfriend. She wasn't dark enough to be accepted by the Ngai Tahu. .
Really? That's a new one on me.
Old Jul 27th 2010, 5:10 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Ethnicicity

most of the men of the British Isles have the same y chromosome markers as teh Basques. So ethnically, does that make us all Basques then?
I read that article in Nature...over 5 years ago. In fact your friends didn’t even quote the research correctly, the Y chromosomes of men from Wales and Ireland resemble those of the Basques. The Englanders where mostly related to Celts and those from the far north (even further north than where the M1 crosses the M25 ) where related to the Vikings that forcefully took their great-great-great....grandmothers for wives/servant girls. I can only speculate the Vikings never got far enough south to discover Essex girls who would have done the same thing just to date a man who had his own boat? Maybe they just had higher standards, rape and pillage is one thing but Essex girls where a step too far?
Old Jul 27th 2010, 5:16 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Smile Re: Ethnicicity.

Originally Posted by Yotty
She wasn't dark enough to be accepted by the Ngai Tahu. .
Did she try bathing in fake tan?
Old Jul 27th 2010, 10:29 am
Forum Regular

DennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by pricklykina
Several people have said that i'm a kiwi now cos I've been here a long time.
But that's in Auckland. I do think that people here are a bit more accepting. That's my experience. I rarely get called a pom

I identify as English. That is my chosen ethnicity.
My daughter and partner identify as pakeha.

funny thing. People here accept that I am english.
People in the UK often did not and tried to categorise me as afro caribbean / West Indian / black etc. Here people accept me as I choose to define myself.
I had to move away from my homeland to be accepted as from my homeland.

No one here EVER asks "but where are you really from" or"but where are you parents from"

As for being Maori, or any ethnicity
In New Zealand ethnicity is personally defines so if you idenitify as Klingon that's OK

Oh and the Maori / UK passport thing does not happen these days.
I fully understand your position.
I am a brit. Born in britain, raised in britain and currently fed up with britain.

However, few people in england would count me as british as my parents are from India. I have no interest in the country of my ancestry, just where i was born and raised, but people always ask 'what part of india is your family from' I just say Wolverhampton

When i was in NZ, i said i was english. No questions were asked.

It was great

I cant wait to get out there. 10 weeks to go!
Old Jul 27th 2010, 10:49 am
BE Enthusiast

pricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DennisBergkamp
I am a brit. Born in britain, raised in britain and currently fed up with britain.

However, few people in england would count me as british as my parents are from India. I have no interest in the country of my ancestry, just where i was born and raised, but people always ask 'what part of india is your family from' I just say Wolverhampton

It was great

good on ya kiwi
Come and be english with me!
Old Jul 27th 2010, 11:56 am
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Always wondered what would have happened if my mum hadn't come back to the UK from Nigeria to have me born in a UK hospital?? I'd be a very pale Nigerian Would it have helped with my Immigration prospects to NZ ????
Old Jul 27th 2010, 12:04 pm
Near the outer fringe

Originally Posted by j19fmm
Always wondered what would have happened if my mum hadn't come back to the UK from Nigeria to have me born in a UK hospital?? I'd be a very pale Nigerian Would it have helped with my Immigration prospects to NZ ????
No! It just makes filling in forms a pain in the arse. I had to make a statutory declaration that I'd never been a citizen of the country I was born in!

Thanks to everyone that's contributed. Some interesting perspectives and food for thought there.
Old Jul 27th 2010, 3:41 pm

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Charismatic
I read that article in Nature...over 5 years ago. In fact your friends didn’t even quote the research correctly, the Y chromosomes of men from Wales and Ireland resemble those of the Basques. The Englanders where mostly related to Celts and those from the far north (even further north than where the M1 crosses the M25 ) where related to the Vikings that forcefully took their great-great-great....grandmothers for wives/servant girls. I can only speculate the Vikings never got far enough south to discover Essex girls who would have done the same thing just to date a man who had his own boat? Maybe they just had higher standards, rape and pillage is one thing but Essex girls where a step too far?
Hmm, maybe that's why OH looks like a Viking. rawr.
Old Jul 27th 2010, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by DennisBergkamp

It was great

Sort of related...one of OH's cousins is married to a Scot of Indian descent. So, whatever, Scottish. Got the accent, loves his pies etc. However I noticed at the family wedding he was the only one not wearing a kilt, so I asked him about it, and he said the older generation don't like it when he does.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.