Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Enjoying Life in Tauranga

Enjoying Life in Tauranga

Old Nov 27th 2006, 5:38 am
Forum Regular

nickcharliepark has a brilliant futurenickcharliepark has a brilliant futurenickcharliepark has a brilliant futurenickcharliepark has a brilliant futurenickcharliepark has a brilliant futurenickcharliepark has a brilliant future
Default Enjoying Life in Tauranga

Hi

Haven't posted for a while. Two reasons - computer didn't travel well (just replaced it) and enjoying life too much to spend time on the internet!

Tauranga is great, we feel really settled. work is fine, in fact we both plan to reduce our hours after christmas. We would never have dreamed of doing that in the UK.

Enjoying the weather, the scenery, the coffe and the muffins! Just loving life in NZ, still drive back from work along the coastal road giggling to myself that I actually live here and don't have to go back to the UK in aweek or two.

Just thought I would post a little bit about our positive experience of the whole emmigration process. My thoughts to anyone considering it? GO FOR IT!!!

Nick
Old Nov 27th 2006, 5:43 am
Forum Regular

Herm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant future
Default Re: Enjoying Life in Tauranga

Originally Posted by nickcharliepark
Hi

Haven't posted for a while. Two reasons - computer didn't travel well (just replaced it) and enjoying life too much to spend time on the internet!

Tauranga is great, we feel really settled. work is fine, in fact we both plan to reduce our hours after christmas. We would never have dreamed of doing that in the UK.

Enjoying the weather, the scenery, the coffe and the muffins! Just loving life in NZ, still drive back from work along the coastal road giggling to myself that I actually live here and don't have to go back to the UK in aweek or two.

Just thought I would post a little bit about our positive experience of the whole emmigration process. My thoughts to anyone considering it? GO FOR IT!!!

Nick
Its good that your enjoying it Nick. We've been here coming up 6 years now and have to keep reminding ourselves not to take it for granted - life really is good here but, then again, would be nice if the muffins were slightly smaller
Old Nov 27th 2006, 8:17 am
Forum Regular

maysie has a spectacular aura aboutmaysie has a spectacular aura aboutmaysie has a spectacular aura about

moved to Tauranga in January with my family and its like going to work and then being on holiday every single day. Life is just fantastic and I have to keep pinching myself that its all real
Old Nov 27th 2006, 8:32 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Herm
Its good that your enjoying it Nick. We've been here coming up 6 years now and have to keep reminding ourselves not to take it for granted - life really is good here but, then again, would be nice if the muffins were slightly smaller
Yep, those muffins are just a bit too big arnt they. Big enough to have as a meal in itself!

I still feel that way when I see the beautiful sea and coastline everyday.... the sea is a different colour everyday.... this week it been different shades of green. I really should take my camera out with me!

Glad you enjoying yourselves here!!! Look forward to reading more of your posts!
Old Nov 27th 2006, 4:18 pm
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Nick
Good news fella

Get some pictures up HERE
Old Nov 27th 2006, 6:55 pm
Just Joined

spatch will become famous soon enough
Cool Re: Enjoying Life in Tauranga

It's good to read something positive.......after reading the thread on "Work Experiences" - nearly put me off. Coming out at Easter to check out work. I think Tauranga is a must. And then I read the thread "Kiwi Bar" and I know New Zealand is for us!! You all sound like you are having a great time out there. Can't wait to join you
Old Nov 27th 2006, 9:04 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Nick
Hi

Good to read such a positive post My Oh has just been offered a job in Tauranga and wondered if there was a downside or anything you would change about the area?

We're not looking to start anything negative just want the facts then we can deal with them!! and also do you have kids any of you? Is there a lot happening for them?

Thanks

Sarah
Old Nov 27th 2006, 9:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to behold

fantastic news, great to hear you are getting settled and loving it.
4 years down the line and I still feel like that, especially this time of year. Driving down the road this morning with the sea shimmering in the sun and the beautiful colours of summer and Christmas everywhere. I just love it!
Tauranga seems to be a very popular destination for ex-pats, it is a lovely part of the country.

Have fun
Old Nov 28th 2006, 3:49 am
Forum Regular

maysie has a spectacular aura aboutmaysie has a spectacular aura aboutmaysie has a spectacular aura about

We have 2 children aged 12 and 9. We have made many many friends mostly through school, work and sports clubs. We have always been a fairly outgoing family but there is just so much to choose from here and its all within a 20 minute drive. Daughter who is 12 is doing athletics for the summer she did netball in the winter along with quadathlon, touch rugby and soccer. My son who is 9 did soccer in the winter and is now doing nippers (surf life rescue) for the summer. Typically we play golf, beach volleyball, touch rugby, the cycling around here is great, there are skate parks, baseball, bmx track all within easy distances. We normally go kayaking and fishing in the harbour at weekends. I am a mad rugby x player but have been asked to coach the reserve grade at Tauranga sports for 2007 season.

We all love the beach and spend at least one evening a week walking around the mount followed by a relaxing time at the hot pools. My wife enjoys walking along the beach front from the mount to omanu beach which keeps her fit and gives her a great tan.

There is a 20,000 seater stadium nearby where we have been to see a super 14 game, the bay of plenty play and we are now into speedway season. We went to Hamilton a few months ago (about 90 min drive) to watch the all blacks play against Ireland. What a fantastic game!!!

schools in Tauranga are regarded as being some of the best in NZ

the downsides are... pretty expensive for property but depends on where you want to live, it can take a while to find work (my wife is a primary school teacher) she has been doing relief teaching since march and long term relief work since June. she did apply for perm work but with over 50 applicants for each position she has had to settle for long term relieving for 2007 for which she is very pleased.

I used to work as a senior engineering manager for a large Pharma company but now work as a production supervisor for a fertilizer company

the wages here are low, everyone quotes 'this is 10 dollar Tauranga which you soon get used to. apparently the average salary here is 40K a year. The lifestyle is absolutely fantastic and you soon learn how to enjoy that as apposed to looking back at what you may have been earning or had in the uk. Nothing at all can beat the lifestyle we now have and the quality time we have together. The people here are very warm and welcoming

you have nothing to lose by coming here and trying it all out for yourselves

good luck
Old Nov 28th 2006, 6:47 am
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute

Great post. Sounds like you are really living the life
Old Nov 28th 2006, 12:43 pm
Forum Regular

trigod is just really nicetrigod is just really nicetrigod is just really nicetrigod is just really nicetrigod is just really nicetrigod is just really nicetrigod is just really nicetrigod is just really nicetrigod is just really nicetrigod is just really nicetrigod is just really nice

Remember theres nothing like a Muffin in the morning!

So nice to hear people so happy. Hope our move is so successful!
Old Feb 24th 2007, 9:21 am
Banned

Any update from you new Kiwi's?

Old Feb 24th 2007, 2:38 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jack The Lad
Any update from you new Kiwi's?

Having fun bumping threads up today aren't you?
Old Feb 24th 2007, 3:06 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Maz
Having fun bumping threads up today aren't you?
Yes I am