Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Emigration as a hospital consultant/specialist (doctor)

Emigration as a hospital consultant/specialist (doctor)

Old Mar 21st 2018, 10:18 am
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Mar 2018
Posts: 23
boiali is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Emigration as a hospital consultant/specialist (doctor)

Hello,
We are considering moving to NZ or OZ or Canada as medical specialists. I only finish my UK specialist training in June this year but hubby has been a consultant for 4 years.

I am keen to hear from those who have made the move, interested to hear their experiences. In particular:
1. Websites to search for jobs
2. Expected salaries
3. Comparison with NHS
4. Any tips to make the move smooth.

We are mainly looking for work/life balance as we have school age kids. I realise this is broad but hope someone can shed some light. Also if anyone has made the move and doesnt mind talking to me in great detail privately I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.
boiali is offline  
Old Mar 21st 2018, 11:07 am
  #2  
Concierge
 
mikelincs's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: ex ex-pat, in Taunton
Posts: 23,508
mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Emigration as a hospital consultant/specialist (doctor)

Originally Posted by boiali View Post
Hello,
We are considering moving to NZ or OZ or Canada as medical specialists. I only finish my UK specialist training in June this year but hubby has been a consultant for 4 years.

I am keen to hear from those who have made the move, interested to hear their experiences. In particular:
1. Websites to search for jobs
2. Expected salaries
3. Comparison with NHS
4. Any tips to make the move smooth.

We are mainly looking for work/life balance as we have school age kids. I realise this is broad but hope someone can shed some light. Also if anyone has made the move and doesnt mind talking to me in great detail privately I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.
Welcome to BE.

A post in this forum might well bring some helpful replies.

Nurses, Doctors, and other Medical/Healthcare occupations - British Expats
mikelincs is offline  
Old Mar 21st 2018, 11:41 am
  #3  
I still dont believe it..
 
Joined: Oct 2013
Location: 12 degrees north
Posts: 2,389
uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Emigration as a hospital consultant/specialist (doctor)

Just as a matter of interest, how much do you have to pay back to the uk taxpayers for your education?
uk_grenada is online now  
Old Mar 21st 2018, 4:09 pm
  #4  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Mar 2018
Posts: 23
boiali is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Emigration as a hospital consultant/specialist (doctor)

Originally Posted by mikelincs View Post
Welcome to BE.

A post in this forum might well bring some helpful replies.

Nurses, Doctors, and other Medical/Healthcare occupations - British Expats
Thank you very much, I will have a look.
boiali is offline  
Old Mar 21st 2018, 4:11 pm
  #5  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Mar 2018
Posts: 23
boiali is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Emigration as a hospital consultant/specialist (doctor)

Originally Posted by uk_grenada View Post
Just as a matter of interest, how much do you have to pay back to the uk taxpayers for your education?
Nothing....because we didn’t go through UK education system-we paid international fees for our education, no student loans.
We came to UK to work and therefore paid taxes.
I hope we have your permission to move country?!
boiali is offline  
Old Mar 21st 2018, 4:38 pm
  #6  
Watching from the Shore
 
Pollyana's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2002
Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Posts: 92,595
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Emigration as a hospital consultant/specialist (doctor)

Originally Posted by boiali View Post
Nothing....because we didn’t go through UK education system-we paid international fees for our education, no student loans.
We came to UK to work and therefore paid taxes.
I hope we have your permission to move country?!
Pollyana is offline  
Old Mar 21st 2018, 5:53 pm
  #7  
I still dont believe it..
 
Joined: Oct 2013
Location: 12 degrees north
Posts: 2,389
uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Emigration as a hospital consultant/specialist (doctor)

Originally Posted by boiali View Post
Nothing....because we didn’t go through UK education system-we paid international fees for our education, no student loans.
We came to UK to work and therefore paid taxes.
I hope we have your permission to move country?!
No, of course not

No - seriously - i have a neice who has just finished her training and is now a uk GP, she thought about £70k a year was the true cost of her education, but there is effectively a payback as she worked for small wages during oart of it.

So - same question - what does the uk charge a foreign student doing medecine? Here in Grenada theres a ‘for profit’ medical school full of american students. I understand the fees are around 150k us a year here.
uk_grenada is online now  
Old Mar 21st 2018, 7:00 pm
  #8  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Mar 2018
Posts: 23
boiali is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Emigration as a hospital consultant/specialist (doctor)

Originally Posted by uk_grenada View Post
No, of course not

No - seriously - i have a neice who has just finished her training and is now a uk GP, she thought about £70k a year was the true cost of her education, but there is effectively a payback as she worked for small wages during oart of it.

So - same question - what does the uk charge a foreign student doing medecine? Here in Grenada theres a ‘for profit’ medical school full of american students. I understand the fees are around 150k us a year here.
Sorry, I can’t answer your question. As I said we were not educated in UK.
boiali is offline  
Old Mar 21st 2018, 7:02 pm
  #9  
I still dont believe it..
 
Joined: Oct 2013
Location: 12 degrees north
Posts: 2,389
uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Emigration as a hospital consultant/specialist (doctor)

Sorry for the confusion, your first post says you are just finishing your specialist training in the uk?
uk_grenada is online now  
Old Mar 22nd 2018, 7:55 am
  #10  
BE Forum Addict
 
escapedtonz's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Te Puna, Tauranga
Posts: 1,446
escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Emigration as a hospital consultant/specialist (doctor)

Who cares what it cost ? We're here to answer the OP's questions not grill them on how much their student loan may be or what their education cost.

So, back to topic for you boiali....

1. www.seek.co.nz or www.trademe.co.nz or https://nz.indeed.com are but a few job sites.
2. No idea but from what I believe from my Mrs who's been a nurse for years salaries here a pretty good for medical professionals. I suppose it all depends on what level you are at, what your speciality is and how much experience you have.
3. Ha Ha! Chalk and cheese.
4. The more money you have to set yourself up here the smoother the transition will be. If you have the money to allow someone to help you, e.g. a migration consultant or the full international removalists who pack it all for you....if you can afford it and you won't need that money for something else then do it as it'll just take the stress away from those things.

Our neighbour is a medical professional - a consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon at one of the posh private hospitals here in Tauranga. Apparently he's an awesome guy. All the other neighbours say he's a really decent bloke etc etc. We've owned the land here since November 2015 and have been living here in a new house across from theirs for over 12 months. I even take the kids across to his electric gate, let myself in with the code his wife gave me, use their pool and jacuzzi etc as and when we want to........and I've still never met him. Seen his car drive in and out and that's about the closest I've ever come. He works loooooong hours so I believe. Has a huge property with pool, tennis court and they have someone come in and do everything for them plus his Mrs hasn't worked for years so must be on a mahoosive salary but quality of life and a good work/life balance....I'm not sure as he's never here.
escapedtonz is offline  
Old Mar 22nd 2018, 8:50 am
  #11  
BE Forum Addict
 
Bo-Jangles's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: In a large village called Auckland
Posts: 4,879
Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Emigration as a hospital consultant/specialist (doctor)

District Health Boards (DHBs) jobs are all advertised on https://www.kiwihealthjobs.com/

The difference between NHS and NZ will largely depend on the variation in location you are coming from and going to; if you're coming from a big city hospital to a small provincial 'town' then chalk and cheese it would be. I would suggest on the whole the bigger city hospitals would be much of a muchness.

If you look to the media you will see the same old stories, with the health service having been massively underfunded for past ten years. The headlines will be familiar; nurses are currently talking of going on strike, city hospitals are stretched to capacity and full up, Midwives in crisis and the junior Doctors rise up every now and then with usual complaints of being massively overworked and underpaid.
Bo-Jangles is offline  
Old Mar 22nd 2018, 9:28 am
  #12  
Dedicated European
 
Joined: Mar 2017
Location: Buda
Posts: 5,689
Expatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Emigration as a hospital consultant/specialist (doctor)

Originally Posted by uk_grenada View Post
Sorry for the confusion, your first post says you are just finishing your specialist training in the uk?
"UK tuition fees – international students
For international students, undergraduate fees for 2017/18 started at around £10,000 (US$14,130) for lecture-based courses, going up to £38,000 (~US$53,700) or more for a top undergraduate medical degree. You can view the 10 most affordable universities for international undergraduates here.

At postgraduate level, international fees for classroom-based programs in 2017/18 started at around £11,000 (~US$15,545) and went up to £32,000 (~US$45,200). For laboratory-based programs, average annual fees vary from £12,000 (~US$16,940) to £27,200 (~US$38,400)."
Expatrick is offline  
Old Mar 23rd 2018, 8:58 am
  #13  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Mar 2018
Posts: 23
boiali is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Emigration as a hospital consultant/specialist (doctor)

Originally Posted by escapedtonz View Post
Who cares what it cost ? We're here to answer the OP's questions not grill them on how much their student loan may be or what their education cost.

So, back to topic for you boiali....

1. www.seek.co.nz or www.trademe.co.nz or https://nz.indeed.com are but a few job sites.
2. No idea but from what I believe from my Mrs who's been a nurse for years salaries here a pretty good for medical professionals. I suppose it all depends on what level you are at, what your speciality is and how much experience you have.
3. Ha Ha! Chalk and cheese.
4. The more money you have to set yourself up here the smoother the transition will be. If you have the money to allow someone to help you, e.g. a migration consultant or the full international removalists who pack it all for you....if you can afford it and you won't need that money for something else then do it as it'll just take the stress away from those things.

Our neighbour is a medical professional - a consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon at one of the posh private hospitals here in Tauranga. Apparently he's an awesome guy. All the other neighbours say he's a really decent bloke etc etc. We've owned the land here since November 2015 and have been living here in a new house across from theirs for over 12 months. I even take the kids across to his electric gate, let myself in with the code his wife gave me, use their pool and jacuzzi etc as and when we want to........and I've still never met him. Seen his car drive in and out and that's about the closest I've ever come. He works loooooong hours so I believe. Has a huge property with pool, tennis court and they have someone come in and do everything for them plus his Mrs hasn't worked for years so must be on a mahoosive salary but quality of life and a good work/life balance....I'm not sure as he's never here.
Thanks for the detailed reply. It seems jobs are there to be had. Since posting my original question we got in touch with an agency. They said Hamilton and Tauranga are looking for consultants in our specialties. I didn’t know which one to choose. It seems you are happy in Tauranga but what do you think of Hamilton?

The orthopaedic surgeon description sounds about right, they work hard and earn loads.
They obviously trust you and sound like good neighbors. So good to hear positive stories.

Ps, we have kids if it makes a difference with regards Hamilton vs Tauranga
boiali is offline  
Old Mar 23rd 2018, 9:01 am
  #14  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Mar 2018
Posts: 23
boiali is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Emigration as a hospital consultant/specialist (doctor)

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles View Post
District Health Boards (DHBs) jobs are all advertised on https://www.kiwihealthjobs.com/

The difference between NHS and NZ will largely depend on the variation in location you are coming from and going to; if you're coming from a big city hospital to a small provincial 'town' then chalk and cheese it would be. I would suggest on the whole the bigger city hospitals would be much of a muchness.

If you look to the media you will see the same old stories, with the health service having been massively underfunded for past ten years. The headlines will be familiar; nurses are currently talking of going on strike, city hospitals are stretched to capacity and full up, Midwives in crisis and the junior Doctors rise up every now and then with usual complaints of being massively overworked and underpaid.
Many thanks for the link. So much research to do. But sounds promising. I guess wherever we go it won’t be smooth sailing but if we can get a work life balance for our kids .....
boiali is offline  
Old Mar 23rd 2018, 9:33 am
  #15  
BE Forum Addict
 
escapedtonz's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Te Puna, Tauranga
Posts: 1,446
escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Emigration as a hospital consultant/specialist (doctor)

Originally Posted by boiali View Post
Thanks for the detailed reply. It seems jobs are there to be had. Since posting my original question we got in touch with an agency. They said Hamilton and Tauranga are looking for consultants in our specialties. I didn’t know which one to choose. It seems you are happy in Tauranga but what do you think of Hamilton?

The orthopaedic surgeon description sounds about right, they work hard and earn loads.
They obviously trust you and sound like good neighbors. So good to hear positive stories.

Ps, we have kids if it makes a difference with regards Hamilton vs Tauranga
Yes Tauranga is very nice and we are very happy here. We live a bit rural but still only 10 mins from the beach. We live in a small farming community really called Te Puna Just over the Wairoa River but only 15 mins from the CBD via SH2 if the traffic isn't an issue.
I personally dont have any issues with Hamilton. I quite like it but then I only work there and dont live there. I stay over in Hamilton 1 day per week during my night shifts so get out and about regularly for walks, bike ride, golf etc. It sometimes has a bit of a stigma against it for teenage boy racers, uni students but Ive never experienced anything bad. I quite like the city with the mighty Waikato River running through amd the walks etc. City centre is fairly good shopping wise and for bars / restaurants.
In my opinion Tauranga is nicer as its on the coast so you are never far from a beach, its a bit brighter and happier and very close to Mt. Maunganui which is the best beach resort in NZ.
Difficult to say from a job point of view which one would be better.
Waikato Hospital is bigger than Tauranga Hospital that's for sure and as such Waikato Hospital will probably offer more specialist departments and personnel but couldn't say how they actually compare job wise.
You could live in Tauranga and work at Waikato Hospital but you'd have to be comfortable with a 90 minute commute over the hill....I do that as I work in Hamilton not far from the Hospital although I work shift times so don't see a lot of traffic.
With kids I'd defo go for Tauranga over Hamilton. I'd much rather live close to the beach than inland an hour away from the coast but that's just me. There are some nice places to live in and around Hamilton if you have the funds and Cambridge is a very popular place to live and pretty nice so long as you don't mind being half hour away from Hamilton.
Equally there are very nice places to live in Tauranga that are closer - EG Bethlehem is probably the nicest suburban subdivision.
If you wanna live more rural there are several really nice areas around both city's.

Sorry, not being that great a helper am I.
escapedtonz is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.