Ello peeps

Old Aug 24th 2007, 8:35 pm
Just Joined

Stevejd will become famous soon enoughStevejd will become famous soon enough
Default Ello peeps

We have finally decided that we want to move to NZ, been thinking about it on and off for years.

I'm a 48 year old charge nurse working in Mental Health, married with two boys aged 16 and 12.

One thing that helped me decide is current UK media items and that my NHS pension is paid up in 2 years time (scarey thought).

I've no idea where I want to live but I suppose it helps to know where the work is (any one know where the mental health hospitals/units are?)

The oldest would be 18 then and just finished 6th form and wanting to go to Uni, not sure how this would affect him coming with us, would he need a seperate application?

Done a bit of reading and now realise how expensive the application process is, suppose it weeds time wasters out!

Without a job offer I scored 135 so the odds look ok so far, just got to make that final decision and put the EOI in after abit more research

Steve

ps, this is a good site, pleased i found it
Old Aug 24th 2007, 9:00 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice
Default Re: Ello peeps

Hi Steve,

I don't think you'd find too much difficulty in securing work. You might as well start the process as it isn't going to get any cheaper and you and your boys aren't getting any younger. At the very least it would save the hassle of filling in further paperwork when your boy turns eighteen.
Old Aug 25th 2007, 5:08 am
Forum Regular

jaybirdjan is a jewel in the roughjaybirdjan is a jewel in the roughjaybirdjan is a jewel in the roughjaybirdjan is a jewel in the rough

[QUOTE=Stevejd;5232073]We have finally decided that we want to move to NZ, been thinking about it on and off for years.

I'm a 48 year old charge nurse working in Mental Health, married with two boys aged 16 and 12.

One thing that helped me decide is current UK media items and that my NHS pension is paid up in 2 years time (scarey thought).

I've no idea where I want to live but I suppose it helps to know where the work is (any one know where the mental health hospitals/units are?)

The oldest would be 18 then and just finished 6th form and wanting to go to Uni, not sure how this would affect him coming with us, would he need a seperate application?

Hi & Welcome

We landed this week still a bit strange but finding our way round, We are based in hamilton but karoniuos is a mental health nurse in this area if thats any help.

Good luck

Jan
Old Aug 25th 2007, 7:11 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Steve,
welcome to the forum, karma for your newness
I'm in my forties but only qualified 18 months as a MH nurse before coming out here. Original pay offer was shite but I have since blagged my way into a pay rise
What can I tell you? Pretty similar to working in the UK but the staff ratio is far higher here and the ratio of trained staff to PA's (psychiatric assistants here!) is also better. Mental Health Act is so very different but I wouldn't worry about it as it all falls into place eventually.
Getting your NZ registration is costly and time consuming so if this is a definite plan, look at that before anything else. I am usually happy in my work here - I work with a large proportion of Maori patients which is obviously very different from the UK.
The Henry Bennet Centre in Hamilton is one of only 5 forensic units in NZ, it also houses the other disciplines that make up metal health nursing.
Have you had a look at the DHB's?:
http://www.moh.govt.nz/districthealthboards
may give you some idea of where to start
Good luck in your endeavours,
Karen B
Old Aug 25th 2007, 12:21 pm
Just Joined

Stevejd will become famous soon enoughStevejd will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by karonious
Hi Steve,

The Henry Bennet Centre in Hamilton is one of only 5 forensic units in NZ, it also houses the other disciplines that make up metal health nursing.
Have you had a look at the DHB's?:
http://www.moh.govt.nz/districthealthboards
may give you some idea of where to start
Good luck in your endeavours,
Karen B
Thanks, had a look at the DHB's, ideally i would like Rehab or acute older adults (my current field of work)

I must admit the cost factor was a big surprise, especially when you add on the airfares etc.

as a matter of interest what did you score and was that with a job offer?

i'm in two minds (bad pun for a MH nurse) to do the EOI first and see what happens or go for a job first and up the points, all very